Droid X

Discussion in 'Android' started by ProperModulation, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

I think I have decided to go with a Droid X when it comes out next week. I want to get my hands on an EVO to see how I like the larger form factor, but everything I read/see about the X looks very cool. Goes on sale this Thursday and I think I'm gonna pick one up that morning if I can get my Wife's work discount on the account.

Here are some links:

Engadget preview:

Exclusive: Motorola Droid X preview -- Engadget

YouTube review:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMG0Wjnuq3I"]Part 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQX4VeNNxc&feature=channel"]Part 2[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZGk3TAmfs&feature=channel"]Part 3[/ame]

2. Similar Threads: Droid
    Forum Title Date
    Android Google Android Wear Mar 19, 2014
    Android Android update Dec 21, 2013
    Android Why Google's Android Is Devouring Apple Nov 13, 2013
    Android Android Tablets (vs Windows) (vs iPad) Oct 6, 2013
    Android Verizon unveils three Droid phones from Motorola - 7/23/13 Jul 23, 2013

3. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

There is no doubt it is going to be a nice phone, but only after they upgrade it to Droid 2.2. Right now there are somethings that you won't have out of the box because it is shipping with Droid 2.1. Also considering that they will make a really big battery for it which would mean you would not need to lug a battery would be sweet. Not sure how much more that baby is going to weight though. Battery life is key for me and that is one think I'd have to know before I could jump on that wagon. They say the camera software on it is horrid, I've seen that in every review. Also the picture quality and video quality isn't as good as it should be, perhaps this is because of the moto software that is riding on top of Android. Is moto working on an upgrade? (I assume so) We know Google is for Droid (2.2)? See that is what scares me about these phones, because you've one company making hardware, one adding their software on top of an OS that they do not make. Makes me cringe! Believe me I am not trying to dissuade you, I am just saying... those are the things that many bloggers and tech mag guys point out.

Everything I've seen says it sweet! Once you get it, we'll expect a full review!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. ProperModulation

From what I've read the camera is OK, and the video is pretty good. I don't need a full on point-and-shoot, just something to catch quick pics and the occasional video. And ANYTHING has to be an improvement over the camera in my Blackberry Bold! I wouldn't say that the overall review opinion of the camera software is that it's "horrid". I haven't read anything really negative on the camera app. It looks pretty standard. The battery should be fine. All the reviews seem to indicate that it's better than the EVO. I dock every night so as long as I get a full day of usage I am fine. I'm also reading that the latest OTA software update for the EVO has significantly improved battery its life. One thing I like about what I have read is that it's stock Android software for most of the GUI. Motorola has not fully skinned the OS, just certain pieces. And a froyo upgrade later this year is also a good thing.

Since Google has said that it has no plans for Nexus 2, I think this is the one I am going to jump on. I still need to go check out an EVO to see how it feels in my hand though. I like the notion of a big screen, but the larger form factor is a bit of a concern for me since it's not something I have used before. Plus, I'm sick of researching smartphones! I just want to pull the trigger and get it done!
  5. ct_mike

ct_mike New Member

Give it a shot. You always have the 30 days to return it and go back to your Bold if you don't like the DroidX.

ct_mike
  6. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 OOH-RAH

I think you will like Android. I've fallen in love with all the customization. Two years ago I could have given 2 shits less about that. It's funny how things can change when you have the choice.

My battery life on my EVO has improved. It could always be better, but it fine by me. I don't see the big deal with having an extra battery either. I leave it in my van as a just incase. My camera and video is pretty good. I like you Proper don't need an SLR camera. I think 8 megapixels is pretty good.

I checked out the reviews you posted. Thats one nice phone. If I had Verizon that would be my phone. All I have to say is enjoy it when you get it. Android has made owning a smartphone pretty fun with all the different screens and widgets you can use. If your a sports fan your really going to love it.

One last thing..... I don't think you will mind the size. I came from a Palm Pre and compared to that its night and day.
  7. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

The main thing is that it appeals to you and Verizon has the coverage that will make you happy. In the past I hardly ever took video or pictures on my phone because most of them were always so crappy. It isn't always so much the camera as the camera software and the camera makeup. I've seen many higher megapixel camera take much crapper pictures that lower megapixel cameras simply because not all cams are created equally. What I see being flagged on the Droid X is the camera software as being slow and in some cases even freezing up during picture taking. Again just what I've read, I have never seen or used one.

I agree the battery should be fine, but coming from an iPhone it would have to be damn fine. LOL None the less the reality is that most of these smartphones have to be charged daily these days. The main concern is will it get through a day without needing a charge or an extra battery. I agree with Ehilbert changing out a battery isn't that big of a deal, but it just isn't something I want to have to be bothered with. Clearly when it is necessary to lug an extra battery to get through a day then the size of the screen and the processor really need to be revisited, because that is pretty sad.

I think once the Android 2.2 hits the Droid X will likely be a hell of a phone. But I've just heard so much about how Google and Droid throws everything into their phones from the get go... seems that is no longer the case. One thing that Google really needs to work on with Android is refinement! It lacks the polish that it should have in my opinion!

I am excited for you and I really look forward to your review! Lets see these things are being released on July 15th. So you getting to the store early?
  8. ProperModulation

Nah, no early morning run to the store for me. I'm going to try and do it online. I'm actually starting a new job tomorrow so I won't be able to sneak away to the verizon store. Hopefully I can sneak in my order before I leave for work. A review will soon follow... :)

Unless I change my mind again of course!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. HecticArt

HecticArt Moderator / Top Dawg

Finally got to watch the vids. That looks really sweet! Don't change your mind! My new every 2 is up at the end of the year, and I'm staying with Verizon because of the coverage here. A day and a half out of the battery the way he has been using it is pretty good. I'll be even more curious what 2.2 brings, um, too.

It's too bad the camera is funky, but at least it doesn't need a bumper. LOL!
  10. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well here is to the best of luck getting your order in. I lucked out getting an order in with all the crazy iPhone 4 stuff, so you'll be good. The more I think about it, the more happy I am that you are getting it. We need to have some good reviews on these Android phones. Like it or not Android will be on so many different phones they will eventually take a pretty commanding lead in market share or at least they should. I would just like them see them improve the apps, along with the marketplace and then as I said a little more refining. I think they will, but hey they are off to the best start of anyone else that I have seen come up against Apple in a long time and I am loving it. Competition is good for all of us. You will be one of the Pioneers in all that, so how cool is that?

You still have to go through the hand test with the EVO. :)

Yeah, hopefully the camera thing gets addressed in the Droid 2.2 release.

The bumper thing was funny, don't make me sit you in a corner, I don't want to have to pull rank on you! hehehe :p
  11. HecticArt

LOL![​IMG]
  12. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

This looks good. Seems to me the HDMI is something that the Apple is missing. Seemed very customizeable but the whole feel made me almost dizzy. Watching my wife do her stuff on her iPhone seems 'easier'. Thats just how it looks to me from watching. Once she has done hogging it, I will ask if I could 'borrow' it for a bit. I know the Mac 'looks easy' when I see people use it but the UI feels clunky to me when I try it myself so I don't want to get suckered in to the same trap.

This Droid is another Droid that is not available in Canada.
  13. ProperModulation

My wife wants the white iphone4 with a pink bumper! I won't be borrowing her phone anytime soon... ;) I hope the white ones are available soon so we can get it for her, but the all glass phone still makes me nervous. A squaretrade warranty will make me feel better though. I would NEVER want a bumper on my phone, but she seems to like the look so the antenna issue probably won't be a problem for her.

I can't wait for the DroidX! I just wish I could take a sick day or something. Not the optimal week to start a new assignment at work. I am hoping to be able to sneak in late wednesday night or early thursday morning with an order. It just better show up on the verizon corporate site for my wifes company! No discount = no Droid! Those videos really have me excited though.
  14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

OH come on now Prop, you know you want to borrow your wife's white iPhone with the pink bumper! LOL

Well I am excited for you bro! Enjoy your new toy!

[​IMG]
  15. ProperModulation

Yup! That's the one!
  16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Hey for a women that does look pretty damn sexy! You with your manly Droid X and your wife with her girly iPhone 4 and Pink Bumper, sounds like a pair made in Heaven! :p
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  17. HecticArt

Yet again.
    [​IMG]

I feel your pain. Mrs Hectic has a red PT Cruiser. If that wasn't bad enough, the license plate spells out Wonder Woman. . . . It's so emasculating when I have to drive it to Home Depot. . . .
  18. IdRatherBeSkiing

I can seem them becoming collectively the market leader. The chief competitor is only available on one provider and that will impose a limit on the sales as long as that restricion is in place.
  19. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Well it sort of like the MS vs Apple thing all over again, except this time it is Droid vs iOS
  20. IdRatherBeSkiing

Its different up here. The 2 big providers each have the iPhone. They have less Android selection (the phones I want are not stocked and have no plans to be stocked). Its mainly Blackberry's and the iPhone.

Interesting side note. The Bell store I went to had 0 iPhones on display. I asked and they had them. They said they could not display it because Apple would not allow the iPhone to be displayed on the same display as other phones. And since the special stand alone displays that Bell uses are on back order, they can't display the phone. They are selling strictly by word of mouth.
  21. MM

MM Administrator

I'm looking forward to your review. It might be time for me to jump to Android soon, too.