DRM Stripping program for PC?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Bypassing DRM violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Distributing information that could be used to bypass DRM also violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

So, no, I don't have any recommendations.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I use Protected Music Converter Professional 1.1. It doesn't actually strip the DRM as the legality of that is questionable. You do have to use a program to download the music that it can use the DRM info to play re-encode it though. I use Rhapsody! It does a rapid re-encoding of the song at the same kbps as the original. I've not personally heard any degradation in the SQ nor can my ears detect any difference between the original and copy.

There use to be a program called WM4FairUse that I used that actually did rip the DRM out, but MS eventually patched Windows and WMP enough that it no longer works.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Bypassing DRM violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Distributing information that could be used to bypass DRM also violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

So, no, I don't have any recommendations.

Actually there is also a Fair Use law that makes it legal to make a copy of digital content for personal use only. That is why these companies CAN legally sell these products. They all include a stern warning that distribution of copyrighted or DRM protected content is a violation of the DMCA. However, making a single copy as a backup or for personal use does not violate the law.

One of your freedoms are being violated.. time to get on it DAWG! LOL

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Actually there is also a Fair Use law that makes it legal to make a copy of digital content for personal use only. That is why these companies CAN legally sell these products. They all include a stern warning that distribution of copyrighted or DRM protected content is a violation of the DMCA. However, making a single copy as a backup or for personal use does not violate the law.

One of your freedoms are being violated.. time to get on it DAWG! LOL

Nope. Read Judge Patel's latest in the RealDVD case. Fair use doesn't trump DMCA. They can't legally sell products that could be used to defeat DRM. If someone is selling such a product, they just haven't been sued yet.

Making a copy for personal use isn't what violates the law. Defeating copy protection is what violates the law. The DMCA is so broad that just telling someone where to look for a tool that they could conceivably use to defeat copy protection is now illegal.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I need to remove the copy protection to load my SL2 SD card. I don't want to spend 5 days downloading. Besides when I get a new PC am I supposed to rebuy all the music I downloaded? No thanx.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Try explaining to my kids why they cant take their ipod purchases from their moms house and put them on their creative nomads over here, but they can take their nomad's songs and put them on their ipods. Its sad I love apple products, and would love to be a fan boy, but I can not support their business practices.

DRM is evil, and should be illegal.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I need to remove the copy protection to load my SL2 SD card. I don't want to spend 5 days downloading. Besides when I get a new PC am I supposed to rebuy all the music I downloaded? No thanx.

No, you're supposed to buy DRM-less music. Amazon sells DRM-less MP3s, and CDs are DRM-less.

When you buy DRM'd content from places like iTunes, you aren't really buying the content. You're buying permission to play the content on one or more devices. It's all spelled out in a lengthy contract you never read but clicked "OK" to make it go away.

So if you clicked "OK", then you may be legally obligeded to "rebuy" all the music you downloaded. But this time, buy a copy of the music and not a license to play it on a couple of devices.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Nope. Read Judge Patel's latest in the RealDVD case. Fair use doesn't trump DMCA. They can't legally sell products that could be used to defeat DRM. If someone is selling such a product, they just haven't been sued yet.

Making a copy for personal use isn't what violates the law. Defeating copy protection is what violates the law. The DMCA is so broad that just telling someone where to look for a tool that they could conceivably use to defeat copy protection is now illegal.

Well all one has to do is go to Best Buy and there are products that will do it, though not specificially sold as such. On the Internet the very product's that I and mrpacs suggested trying are both sold and they have legal disclaimers, which make them legal to sell. Also these products don't strip or mess with the DRM at all. It simply does a fast dub of the music so its like recording it off a radio station and the last I heard that isn't illegal.

I figured you'd be all fired up about this, Mr. I should be able to put anything in my body and not have the government tell me what to do! LOL I figured you'd be crying foul on this.

Fortunately except for movies, which I don't care to own anyway as I think streaming rentals are the future, the music on iTunes is all DRM free now. All one has to do is look at the history of the digital music evolution to see that DRM has been a dismal failure, but there are those that are still holding on with every ounce of their being to keep it in place and I think you all know who I am talking about.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I just downloaded the first season of The Office from Amazon. How do I know if it is a protected WMV file? I have tried converting the files so I can load them onto my BB Bold but it won't work. I'm assuming this is because they are protected?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just downloaded the first season of The Office from Amazon. How do I know if it is a protected WMV file? I have tried converting the files so I can load them onto my BB Bold but it won't work. I'm assuming this is because they are protected?

There is little doubt that it is protected. I do know that there are programs that will allow you to dub your current protected versions. The program that mrpacs suggested seems to do video. The one I suggested does not it is strictly audio. Dubbing these in my opinion would be no different than using a TIVO or DVR to record them for you to use when you want and where you want.

There is also a program called Replay AV that many of us have used for years to record content off Sirius and XM. They have an add on plug-in that does video from sites like youtube and I am certain it does video too. Again these products are all sold legally regardless of what Membag says because they aren't sold to get around DRM.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Well see, Amazon even allows you to put them on media players but my BB won't allow a WMV file. So I have to convert them. I have software to rip a DVD but I don't think it would work for these files. I should give it a try.

Thanks for the tips. Amazon was having a $5/season sale. HD stuff too.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Well all one has to do is go to Best Buy and there are products that will do it, though not specificially sold as such. On the Internet the very product's that I and mrpacs suggested trying are both sold and they have legal disclaimers, which make them legal to sell. Also these products don't strip or mess with the DRM at all. It simply does a fast dub of the music so its like recording it off a radio station and the last I heard that isn't illegal.

Then the last you heard is wrong. It sounds like you aren't following the RealDVD case.

The DMCA may be evil and wicked, but it isn't foolish. It doesn't have loopholes for "fast dub" that lets you make copies of DRM'd content. Any technology that lets you make copies of DRM'd content is illegal under the DMCA. It doesn't matter how it does it, just that the end result is a copy. Just because you can buy it at Best Buy and it has some legal disclaimer and it hasn't been sued by the media industry doesn't mean it's legal.

Check out Judge Patel's latest ruling.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Well see, Amazon even allows you to put them on media players but my BB won't allow a WMV file. So I have to convert them. I have software to rip a DVD but I don't think it would work for these files. I should give it a try.

Thanks for the tips. Amazon was having a $5/season sale. HD stuff too.

I'm pretty sure all video from Amazon is DRMd. They make it pretty easy to play on multiple devices, but it still has to call home to check your license.

The studios won't allow non-DRMd video. They're terrified of what happened to music happening to movies, and with good reason.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Then the last you heard is wrong. It sounds like you aren't following the RealDVD case.

The DMCA may be evil and wicked, but it isn't foolish. It doesn't have loopholes for "fast dub" that lets you make copies of DRM'd content. Any technology that lets you make copies of DRM'd content is illegal under the DMCA. It doesn't matter how it does it, just that the end result is a copy. Just because you can buy it at Best Buy and it has some legal disclaimer and it hasn't been sued by the media industry doesn't mean it's legal.

Check out Judge Patel's latest ruling.

Actually I haven't heard at all because this is one case that I could give 2 shits about. The fact is there is software being sold legally that do this. Don't take my word for it check it out for yourself. Do you honestly think Best Buy would be selling these products if they felt they were illegal? We know the music industry goes after everyone they think they can pin a legal case against. Best Buy would be a nice big juicy target. The fact that they haven't gone after them and many other retailers is because there is evidently something in the law that they feel they wouldn't win a case against them (is there a loophole, I don't know there is something). Until I see them going after these software vendors for selling this software I still deem them as legal. I'll let you follow the case and I'll just continue to enjoy my DRM free music.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Actually I haven't heard at all because this is one case that I could give 2 shits about. The fact is there is software being sold legally that do this. Don't take my word for it check it out for yourself. Do you honestly think Best Buy would be selling these products if they felt they were illegal?

Of course they would. They would sell RealDVD if the injunction hadn't stopped them.

Until I see them going after these software vendors for selling this software I still deem them as legal. I'll let you follow the case and I'll just continue to enjoy my DRM free music.

You don't see them going after software because you aren't looking. I pay attention to these cases while you, by your own admission, don't. I can't see how arguing with me benefits you.

My first post here was to make Tom and the admins aware of the legal implications of helping anyone defeat DRM under the DMCA. I'd hate to see DRC stung by these jerks.