Double File Restarts coming?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
NASCAR officials are looking at whether the double-wide restarts used in the All-Star race with all the leaders up front should be used for regular Sprint Cup races. "We've been talking about it for a year," series director John Darby said on Thursday at Lowe's Motor Speedway. "Every time we have an All-Star race the frequency of those talks gets much louder. It's obviously something the fans like a lot. Their interest is our interest. We're looking at it." While most procedural changes are made during the offseason, Darby didn't rule out that a change could be made during the season if the governing body thought it made for better racing. "We use it in modified and Camping World East/West events," he said. "The only thing it hasn't applied to is the national series. What we have to look at is the downside. We try to apply every scenario that could create more problems. That's what we're working through." Races currently are started double-filed until 20 laps remain with lapped cars on the inside lane. That means a 15th-place car actually could be starting in the 30th position. All restarts 20 laps in are single file.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
:bigthumbup:
This is something I'd love to see.

I want to see it as well but I have to wonder a little. They did that all night long during the All-Star race and while it always promoted hard racing during the first few laps, things still will get spread out. It worked best during that 10 lap shootout at the end. I wonder how crazy things will end up getting with this move, if they make it. :scratch: More accidents? More beating and banging? It most certainly will add another element of excitement to the race. I can't wait. This is gonna get good! :yesshake:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Who was it that said NASCAR won't change the rules midway thru the season?...:scratch:

Maybe they need to get all the Jr. fans to throw their beer on the track everytime the go to re-start the race with the lap-down cars on the inside...:shock:

Back in 2004, NASCAR had no problem changing the rules in the middle of the season after Jr. fans littered the track with beer cans after Jeff Gordon won the Pepsi 400 when he was leading after a caution came out, just as he was getting passed by Jr. And since there was only like 5 laps to the end of the race, NASCAR decided not to red flag the race, but let the race finish under caution (just like the '98 Daytona 500).

So Jr. fan, please make me proud this weekend & next weekend we'll have double file re-starts with the lap down cars in the rear...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Who was it that said NASCAR won't change the rules midway thru the season?...:scratch:

Maybe they need to get all the Jr. fans to throw their beer on the track everytime the go to re-start the race with the lap-down cars on the inside...:shock:

Back in 2004, NASCAR had no problem changing the rules in the middle of the season after Jr. fans littered the track with beer cans after Jeff Gordon won the Pepsi 400 when he was leading after a caution came out, just as he was getting passed by Jr. And since there was only like 5 laps to the end of the race, NASCAR decided not to red flag the race, but let the race finish under caution (just like the '98 Daytona 500).

So Jr. fan, please make me proud this weekend & next weekend we'll have double file re-starts with the lap down cars in the rear...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Way, way, off topic. :bigahh:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
double-wide restarts

That's great....as long as the leaders are up front....and I want it all race long, even with 20 or 10 or 5 laps to go.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Not that far off topic, but it was fun writing it...:p
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny yes, but pointless on bringing in Jr. as part of the problem/solution to something that has nothing to do with the subject.

No big deal. I just kind of look at it as I do the calls on all of the SIRIUS talk shows. Whether is Jr. fans or not Jr. fans, it seems that he's always brought up for no reason. Sorry, perhaps I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? :confused:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Don't worry about it. I do think they can start this rule is NASCAR really wanted to. It only takes a "We are going to start this this week", & it would happen. If it's that good an idea, start it this weekend. don't wait until next year...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
That's great....as long as the leaders are up front....and I want it all race long, even with 20 or 10 or 5 laps to go.

I would think that having double file restartes that close to the end would cause more races to end under yellow even with the green white checker rule.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Don't worry about it. I do think they can start this rule is NASCAR really wanted to. It only takes a "We are going to start this this week", & it would happen. If it's that good an idea, start it this weekend. don't wait until next year...:)
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope that it will be at Dover next week when I'm there. :cool:

I would think that having double file restartes that close to the end would cause more races to end under yellow even with the green white checker rule.

Maybe more Green, White, Checkers & Wreckers too!

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well maybe if it's under 10 or 5 laps only count the green laps? Wait...or was that the reason FOR the green, white, checkers rule?

Either way I think single file with 20 to go is still too many. Maybe have single file when there's 5 to go.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I could deal with 5 or 10 laps to go having a single file restart if they put lapped cars at the back for the rest of the race.

tsschmitten

Nov 13, 2008
Max Meadows,VA
What I don't understand is why all of a sudden this is now come up as this great idea, David Poole had been railing about them going to double wide restarts for probably 2 years and everyone sort of said it was crazy and would never happen. I personally think it would be great, to have the 6th place car start third row back on the outside instead of six rows back with all the lapped down cars on the inside. Man I hope they don't screw this up and come up with some hair brained idea why this wouldn't be good for the sport! My finger's are crossed!!

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
When I first heard that Nascar was comtemplating this, I thought David must be rolling over in his grave about this.

What a load. So Nascar sees a ratings increase, it sees how jacked up fans are about this AGAIN, and now its suddenly an idea to look at.

What I think will happen: Nascar is doing this to apease the people who want double file restarts, they will ho and hum about it for a bit and then hope it goes away until next year.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
David Poole had been railing about them going to double wide restarts for probably 2 years

We know.

When I first heard that Nascar was comtemplating this, I thought David must be rolling over in his grave about this.

What I think will happen: Nascar is doing this to apease the people who want double file restarts, they will ho and hum about it for a bit and then hope it goes away until next year.

Yeah, most likely.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN

I think if NASCAR incorporates more of what goes on in short track racing, it will bring in more of an audience. People already have expressed their interest in double-file restarts. They have for quite some time. Anytime someone would ask Brian France or Mike Helton about this, there answer would be..."We think the system we have in place works best. It gives those a lap down the chance to race past the leader and would be on the lead lap if a caution were to come out".

How often does this happen?

Once a race?

Once every other race?

4 times a year?

Maybe 6 times a year, but mostly on short tracks.