Does XM dump Traffic channels for sports PBP?

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
I'm hearing silence on all the XM Traffic Channels, 10 pm ET. And there are about 5 NBA, 4 NHL, and at least 8 MLB games going right now.

Kind of a pain if you're on the road and relying on the traffic service.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Perhaps the provider they get them from is having issues. Usually they give a pre-recorded message but that would take as much space as a traffic channel. They normally dump talk channels.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Perhaps the provider they get them from is having issues. Usually they give a pre-recorded message but that would take as much space as a traffic channel. They normally dump talk channels.

The same provider is serving the Sirius channels OK...which could be fed through to XM if the direct connection failed. And you're right, even Bloomberg's recorded message has been ditched. Suggesting this is all about conserving bandwidth for multiple leagues simultaneously during Spring crunch season.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The same provider is serving the Sirius channels OK...which could be fed through to XM if the direct connection failed. And you're right, even Bloomberg's recorded message has been ditched. Suggesting this is all about conserving bandwidth for multiple leagues simultaneously during Spring crunch season.

Can they actually have a channel which has 0 bandwidth?

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I'm hearing silence on all the XM Traffic Channels, 10 pm ET. And there are about 5 NBA, 4 NHL, and at least 8 MLB games going right now.

Kind of a pain if you're on the road and relying on the traffic service.
I've always considered the traffic channels a waste of bandwidth. Traffic information can be accessed through your local AM/FM stations.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Can they actually have a channel which has 0 bandwidth?

A silent channel that nonetheless shows up on receivers requires only some trivial amount of overhead. Start bytes and stop bytes in a pooled data stream. It's not like analog, where the bulk of a station's bandwidth and power are required even to deliver "dead air" to the receiver.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
I would venture toguess that all centres which are covered by XM traffic channels have AM & FM radio stations.

Abundant stations and receivers...but this is supposed to be instant Traffic and Weather. A value-added service. It's now been silent for at least 16 hours. The present model is a bit of an anachronism. Not enough of an improvement over AM. The service should someday become text-to-voice, filtered for the trip you enter, and stored in your receiver, i.e. truly instant.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Isn't it a little troubling that XM Traffic channels have been silent for at least four days...with weather continuing to display in the PAD fields? What's going on?

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
The Chicago/St Louis channel has sound.

It does? Not on my XMPCR near Binghamton. What about your other traffic channels? Could it be they're coming through only on terrestrial repeaters?

Getting interesting....

Ooops...you're right. Now I see what's happened. I have a modified XMPCR for optical output, and it's not converting the T&W channels. But it does play them through headphones using its own Digital-Analog converter.

Sorry, my bad. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I've always considered the traffic channels a waste of bandwidth. Traffic information can be accessed through your local AM/FM stations.

When they showed up years ago I thought that they were great. After a few times of trying to use them I just gave up and went back to AM radio if I need traffic (actually, now I use NavTraffic). Still, I think the traffic channels were a seemingly great idea that, in practice, make no sense.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I would venture to say ALL car and home receivers still have AM/FM.

I believe it's the new BMW that has no AM/FM radio. A bad mistake, I think. There's something good to be said about AM/FM's ability to give local traffic and weather updates. The national services (OnStar, SiriusXM, GPS) still need some improvement in some areas.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I believe it's the new BMW that has no AM/FM radio. A bad mistake, I think. There's something good to be said about AM/FM's ability to give local traffic and weather updates. The national services (OnStar, SiriusXM, GPS) still need some improvement in some areas.
AM/FM will always have a place just not as an entertainment source for most. God forbid some calamity befalls us AM/FM may be our only source for information. As a matter of fact if I need "real" News/Traffic information I tune to 1010 WINS AM radio.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Sirius does periodically bump some traffic channels for sports PBP, but I've never seen that on XM.

For traffic, I've been using Verizon's VZ Nav on my Blackberry. It gives me the traffic for the route I am taking. I don't care what's going on in NJ (unless I'm driving there).