Do You Miss Dj's?

roscoryan

DRC Graphics Guru
Oct 13, 2008
Burnsville, MN
On Slacker, you can have some limited DJ interaction (right now on the Hits channel) but it can be turned off with a Premium Sub. And they don't talk over the music.

I don't mind a little interaction...that's one of the reasons I like satellite radio.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I for one do not-i love not hearing them talk over the music on pandora!

This is the one thing that I actually miss with these online services. I was happy to hear that this would be an option on Slacker. You can have those DJ's turn on and off, but as RR said they don't talk over the music, they just provide little snippets about the artist and/or song.

The thing is that most get that connected feeling with a service when their are DJ's. Many feel that without them the service is nothing more than just bunch of MP3's.

Oct 29, 2008
The main reason I like internet radio is because of this. No DJ's. No or very limited ads. When I have radio on it is to hear music not someone talking. If I want to hear someone talking I will put on some talk radio. I keep it simple.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The main reason I like internet radio is because of this. No DJ's. No or very limited ads. When I have radio on it is to hear music not someone talking. If I want to hear someone talking I will put on some talk radio. I keep it simple.

That is the whole point with Slacker provided that you are a premium subscriber, you can turn these things on and off. No such option with most services.

By the same token if all one wants is music, then why not an iPod or MP3 player, I mean isn't that what those do?

If you are going to brand yourself Radio, then radio in my opinion is about interactivity with listeners and this includes DJ's. Now if you want to brand yourself a music service that is different. Slacker calles themselves Radio. But you do have the options which is nice.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I absolutly do not in any way miss Remy Maxwell or Long Paul!!!LOL

I kinda like Long Paul. :)

I was firmly in the no-DJs camp before I got my Sirius sub. I figured they were a part of Sirius and I would just live with them. I now find I usually enjoy the DJs. It does make it feel more like radio (which it is). When I listen to my MP3s, they have no DJs and it is a completely different listening experience.

late1

Oct 13, 2008
Columbus Ohio
Sirius cut any DJ's as of now?
I listen to a lot of Classic Rewind and The Vault, but Kristine Stone talks way too much!
**** enough with her repeating her name ad nauseum ****
Pat St. John is a radio God!
Mark Goodman and the rest of the MTV VJ's are always great, and you cant break up the set.

Oct 29, 2008
That is the whole point with Slacker provided that you are a premium subscriber, you can turn these things on and off. No such option with most services.

By the same token if all one wants is music, then why not an iPod or MP3 player, I mean isn't that what those do.

Yeah that is a cool feature for those needing a DJ to listen to.

Surely is what they do.....MP3/ipods. I have been finding in the last few months I have not been using music much "on the go". I tend to phase in/out of things. So the internet music at home is suiting me good for now. I am glad I don't have to hear the DJ's though. I am considering a G2 for a sole "to go" device, but not in any rush. Funny recently I lost my cell phone, and have not bothered to replace it. I'm just not in the "technology to go" mood right now.

In the end we all can choose our fancy. DJ. No DJ. Whatever it may be......

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md

By the same token if all one wants is music, then why not an iPod or MP3 player, I mean isn't that what those do?

If you are going to brand yourself Radio, then radio in my opinion is about interactivity with listeners and this includes DJ's. Now if you want to brand yourself a music service that is different. Slacker calles themselves Radio. But you do have the options which is nice.
that is a cool feature that slacker has,but as far as dj's and interactivity with listeners go u only get that on testical radio.To me true interactivity would be programing the music myself and not tell bad jokes or just babble over the music.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
that is a cool feature that slacker has,but as far as dj's and interactivity with listeners go u only get that on testical radio.To me true interactivity would be programing the music myself and not tell bad jokes or just babble over the music.

You got it on XM too. Most of XM's DJs were live.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Different Strokes for Different Folks! That is what I always say. I don't think what Slacker is offering in terms of DJ's is anything like testical radio. In fact Sat Radio isn't nearly as bad as tesical radio. But having some DJ's interactivity in my opinion is nice and it is what makes for good radio.

dennisf6

Mar 17, 2009

That is an easy one. To get NEW (to me) music.
I also enjoy my iPod, I have thousands of MP3's. However, that's a drop in the bucket compared to what I hear on Sirius XM.

I am firmly with the group that doesn't want chatty DJ's on my paid radio. XM DJ's were tolerable, they kept it short and strictly about the music. Sirius DJ's talk too much for me.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That is an easy one. To get NEW (to me) music.
I also enjoy my iPod, I have thousands of MP3's. However, that's a drop in the bucket compared to what I hear on Sirius XM.

I am firmly with the group that doesn't want chatty DJ's on my paid radio. XM DJ's were tolerable, they kept it short and strictly about the music. Sirius DJ's talk too much for me.

I agree with you 100%, but I am was replying to someone whining about DJ's being on the Slacker Stations. Though there is really only one station on Slacker that even has a DJ. The DJ interaction that I've heard on Slacker is nothing like what I've heard on Sirius XM where they talk over the beginning and ending of songs and run their yap traps about crap that nobody but them even care about. Parker on Today's Hits (Slacker) speaks about artist and song info for about 20 secs every hour or so. This is as it should be, but this guy was apparently even complaining about that. The real deal is if you pay for the plus or prem service on Slacker you can turn the DJ's off all together. But if that is so bothersome, then by all means you need to get an iPod or other MP3 player. But I do agree it would cost a fortune to get the same level of music I do from Sirius XM or Slacker. But I do like DJ's, I just want them to stick to the music and song info and NOT talk over the beginning and ending of songs.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
DJ's? no thanks.

Special shows with on air DJ personalities are ok . I miss shows like Idiots delight on slacker.

why does Sarad continually feel the need to remind me Im listening to satellite?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I don't miss DJs at all. With all the resources you have available DJs are unnecessary. The Pandora app links to the allmusic guide if you want to know information about the artist. And it's not like you're left wondering what the title of the song is, since it's right there in front of you. First thing I do if there is a song I like (and i'm not driving at the time :p ) is look it up on iTunes.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well the thing about DJ's on Slacker is that you can turn them off, no such feature on sat radio where they are very intrusive at times.

I think DJ's can bring personality to Slacker type services and give it a feeling of connectivity with users, which is what radio is all about. It takes it to the next level, but again if all you want is a music service, then that option is available by simply turning it off once you pay your plus plan.

I don't think all of us want to spend our hard earned money on iTunes! So, the service should be and can be flexiable to provide whatever level of interaction with DJ's one wants.