Disney World question - bribing the characters

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
My family is going to Disney World in a few months (my brother and his family, my parents, me and my fiance). My goal is to bribe a character to follow my Dad for a few hours and annoy the shit out of him. I want this character to be 2 steps behind him and mock his every move.

1. Do you think it is doable?
  2. How much do you think I should start offering? I am willing to go to around $500 for an hour.
  3. How do I find a good character to approach? I am sure that it will take a particular type of person to do this and you have no idea what they are like, being that they are in a costume.
  4. Can you rent the costumes so that I could do it myself?

Any ideas/thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

This has to be a good one as it follows me putting 1500 lady bugs in his truck.

Last edited:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Not going to happen. The characters all have "handlers" who protect them. The handlers get the characters where they need to be, and make sure the guests get a minute or two with the characters, take a few pictures, and then move them along. They also make sure the character takes the necessary breaks, etc. The characters won't actually converse with you. They'll make silly gestures, etc. But the handlers make sure you don't get too creepy or inappropriate. The characters and handlers have certain non-verbal cues that they use to communicate.

If you take a few minutes to watch, it's all rather choreographed (much like everything at Disney).

Dressing as a character is a pretty prestigious job at Disney. Chances are the person won't want to muck that up. The actual costumes that they wear are not for rent. But that does not stop you (or someone else) from renting/buying a costume of your own and wearing that.....lot's of folks are dressed up at Disney...just not nearly as nice as the characters!!

Good luck...sounds like fun. I would not want to have to clean up those ladybugs!!

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yeah, the costumed characters are really important there. It's not just like they walk around and take pictures with people they see.
The costumes are so well protected the only people who can even touch them are the people who will be wearing them and the people who clean them.
You are going to Disney World in Florida or Disneyland in Cali?

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Disney World. I went twice, about 20 years ago, and they just wondered around their zones until it was time to switch out. I guess they have beefed up security huh.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Davis, limegrass69 is 100% correct. There's no chance, and they'd be putting their job on the line.

Question #4 is a big no-no too. They'd never risk an impostor damaging the reputation of the character or the park.

I do have a tip though, if you're interested. Well before you go (even now, the sooner the better), get a couple of good 2008 Disney travel guides from Amazon or your book store. I can recommend a couple really good ones if ya want. (I've bought and read them all).

They have tons of valuable information regarding the best places to stay, eat, ratings of attractions based on age categories (what to see, what to miss), and ways to get discounts, secrets of the park, the prime locations to view the fireworks, and on and on.

I've been several times, but armed with this information, our last trip was the best by a landslide. And I saved tons on airfare and lodging based on the information and tips that I learned in the guides. With all the money saved, we ended up staying at a 5-star resort. The place had a beautiful balcony overlooking the water, a large hot tub, full kitchen, living room, 3 bedrooms... huge place. Beautiful.

Oren

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Well, we already have all reservations. We just got a Disney package, including a meal package. Our parents just sold a nice piece of land so they are treating us. Can you recommend stuff for adults to do, away from Disney resort?

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Funny timing for this thread, since I just watched a re-run of MadTV where this guy was trying to find out some info. like where the "other" Mickey's in the park would be, and a sniper took out the lady he was asking and she was replaced with a robot double and they kept distracting the guy with parades and stuff.

Have fun on your trip.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Well, we already have all reservations. We just got a Disney package, including a meal package. Our parents just sold a nice piece of land so they are treating us. Can you recommend stuff for adults to do, away from Disney resort?

Cool! They have an adult-oriented night-life area there. Not sure about the ages involved or if it would be suitable for all in your party.

Davis, these books are GREAT. I can't recommend them highly enough. They'll give you all the information you'll ever need to know to plan the best trip possible.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/0470285702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224017174&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2009 (Unofficial Guides): Bob Sehlinger, Len Testa: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-2009/dp/1423110463/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224017174&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2009 (Birnbaum's Walt Disney World): Jill Safro: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fodors-Walt-Disney-World-2009/dp/1400019621/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224017174&sr=1-12]Amazon.com: Fodor's Walt Disney World 2009: plus Universal Orlando and SeaWorld (Fodor's Gold Guides): Fodor's: Books[/ame]

There's tons of Disney World travel guides to choose from. These 3 are the best of the bunch when it comes to the quality and value of information. The 3 guides are all great, but I listed them in order of preference. If you get just one, go for the first one listed. I'd recommend more than one though so you can compare information between them.

Oren

Reactions: Davis

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
That night place is closed down this year. Thanks for the suggestions.

I was just at Disney last week for 7 days. You are correct...Pleasure Island is gone (forever). I got the impression that it was getting a little too overrun with the "locals." Eventually Disney Quest is going to be gone too, from what I've been told.

They are apparently replacing it with more shops and dining. :rolleyes: There may be an "adultish" club or two there too. There is also a rumor that they are planning some sort of hot air balloon attraction there.

That first book that Oren recommends is excellent. I've been to Disney World 24 times, for some stupid reason. Most of the time I stay on property, but I have been kicking around staying outside the gates next time around.

There are so many things to do for both kids and adults. You'll love it.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Have you ever been to the Disney restaurant Ohana? We have reservations there but the reviews aren't too good.

I have heard that they have soap flakes falling in the winter time. Is this true?

Last edited:

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
That night place is closed down this year. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, ok. I didn't know that. I haven't been back there in a few years.

Davis, if you want to plan a really great trip, please get those books.

I haven't been to Ohana, but I have to say, that whole area isn't really known for great food. The guides tell you what's bad and what's worthwhile. I'm sure there's been many changes since I've been there, as I just learned about Pleasure Island.

Just get the first book at least. I'm telling you... the information in it will totally change the quality of the overall experience of your trip. It's not a place where you should go and just "wing it". I've done that a couple times. If you want a trip to remember, the info in those books makes all the difference. Trust me on this.

limegrass69!! 24 times!?

Oren

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Hire someone to follow him around during his regular day instead of at the park. If your in the Chicago area, I know some improvisers and actors that would do it for real cheap!

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Good idea but he works in a prison (teaching inmates the automotive trade) so I'm not too sure that it would work. The prisoners are quite fond of him so I think this person would be killed. My father enjoys using Liquid Ass on them. He is happy that I introduced it to him.

Oren, I ordered the first book. It must be good of a competitor is giving it a good review.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
limegrass69!! 24 times!?

I'm sick...I love the mouse...what can I say? Plus, now with young kids, it's awesome being able to take them and watching them enjoy it.

X2 on the food comment Oren made above. I would say the food at Disney is very average. Don't have really high expectations and you won't be disappointed. If you are used to going to good restaurants, you will probably be a little let down.

There are a couple of places that I think are pretty good (in no particular order)...Citrico's at the Grand Floridian; California Grill at the Contemporary; Artists Point at Wilderness Lodge; and Le Cellier at Epcot (Canada in the World Showcase). The Food and Wine expo was at Epcot while I was down there, so I did a lot of grazing.

If you plan on doing much sit down dining, it's best to make your reservations in advance. The restaurants can get pretty crowded and some of them don't have room for walk-ins. Don't even think of going to a character meal without a reservation.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
We have reservations made for each night already. We were warned that it was wise to do so. One is the California Grill. When I travel, I am used to eating in very nice restaurants as I eat on the customer's dime.

I think I am going to break away a day or two and explore the area. I was thinking of trying to find Bubba's studio. I am going to my grandparent's which is just south of Bubba so it would only be about 30 mins out of the way. Then again, I have no idea where his studio is.