DISH Network SUCKS!!!!

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
AT&T(Dish Network out here)is trying to do the hard sell on upgrading on their systems, be it phone, TV or Internet. If I choose to upgrade I stand to lose a lot of TV programming I get right now a lot cheaper, I would also lose all Sirius music channels.

To get what I already have by "upgrading", I would have to shell out an extra fifty bucks a month.

No thanks.....

As much as I'd like to have some of the new equipment, like a dual tuner DVR, I don't want to touch my plan cuz I know the price will jump. Out of 3 standard receivers, I only have one that the buttons still work on it. It fills the need so I'm not worried about it. Most people will just choose from what's offered to them, I survived for years with just the broadcast channels in the garage...

If Netflix would expand their Watch Instant list to include more of the kids shows, I'd be tempted to dump the dish altogether and use one of those Ruku boxes or something similar.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I paid for Netflix for a month because it's available on Xbox 360 now. I agree about expanding the assortment in general. The idea and the platform is good, but there are major voids in their offering. I found it difficult to find movies I wanted to watch that were available through the Instant service. For me, I'd love to see Hulu support come to the 360.

AT&T and Dish Network's partnership ended and AT&T started a new partnership with DirecTV. Odds are they're going to try to transition these people out to UVerse or to DirecTV in the near future. Dish Network will probably make a retention offer to these customers as well.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I couldn't live without dual tuner DVR. I had my first one (an RCA/Microsoft UltimateTV) on DirecTV. One of the tuners failed, so I wanted to upgrade to HD. DirecTV wanted me to buy a DVR for over $1000 AND it would have to have a dedicated land-line to phone home. Time Warner said I could have a dual tuner HD DVR for $5/month, no land-line, so I switched to cable.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
That's why I have a HD DVR with Dish. I paid 50 bucks up front and I get the DVR for free because I have DVR Advantage.

I don't get the Tivo people who pay 12.95 a month for basically channel listings. It's probably why I had a ReplayTV Lifetime before I got my Dish 721 and later my VIP722.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Just seems to be some smaller cable systems that are in dispute at the moment for those two channels.

These TV channels have been putting the screws to redistribution folks to help fund their HD upgrades and crap. Seems kinda moronic to me since these channels have no reach without the redistribution and more viewers means more advertising dollars.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I've been a Dish subscriber for over 10 years now - and while I can't say that it's been all wine and roses, I do have to say that overall I've been a very happy customer with Charlie and Co.

It seems to me that people who are into sports get the shaft most of the time (I remember even back to the Speed Channel hubub back in the day). As has been pointed out, you really can't blame Dish for the things that the sports leagues try to pull to get money out of service providers. I appreciate what Dish has done to keep costs down, and my monthly service fee low.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Here in Grand Rapids, they don't carry our town's CW or MyNetworkTV stations. Yet, yesterday they started carrying the shitty FamilyNet station nobody watches. Hell, I had to get an antenna just so I can get the MyNet station. It's a slap in the face for those who enjoy good TV.

If there was customer demand for the MLB package Dish would have kept it, but I hear they were losing money on it and MLB wanted more and wanted them to carry the new MLB Network as well. Why should Dish pay for it if there are not enough customers to pay for it.

If you want sports you need DirecTV.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
What do you watch on CW or MyNetwork that qualifies as 'good TV'?

I would rather watch Smack Down instead of some right-winged preacher beg for money.

FTR, I just bought a new antenna today and I get the local MyNetworkTV station, but The CW's out of the question since their tranny's in Kalamazoo and is broadcasting at a low power.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I would rather watch Smack Down instead of some right-winged preacher beg for money.

Are you a wrestling fan?

I know what you mean about the right-wing preachers too!! Pat Robertson lives in my neck of the woods. :banghead:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Yes.

However, I get WXSP over the air on WOOD-TV 8.2. Now, how to record a digital signal on videotape...

Ewww, videotape. Get a DVD recorder. I have a Panasonic and it's great. I record stuff on my DVR, then burn it to DVD if I want to save it. I've picked up a lot of movies that aren't on DVD yet that way.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
I upgraded to DishHD this past week, and so far, it's not bad. However, I don't get Palladia for some reason. Also, I can tell that they gave me a used unit since the DVR had a shitload of shows on there. Plus, there's a short in the unit since sometimes I turn it on and there's no signal. I take the plug in and out and it works fine afterward.

One plus is that I can record Smack Down again! There's an antenna jack in the unit and it picks up all the digital channels from my antenna. It's not in HD, but it's better than no Smack Down at all.

Damn, I wish I had HDTV about a year or two ago; I could have watched The Tube.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I upgraded to DishHD this past week, and so far, it's not bad. However, I don't get Palladia for some reason. Also, I can tell that they gave me a used unit since the DVR had a shitload of shows on there. Plus, there's a short in the unit since sometimes I turn it on and there's no signal. I take the plug in and out and it works fine afterward.

Palladia should be on TurboHD Bronze or above (or Top 100 and above with DishHD addon). I'd say you should get it either way. You must have an antenna aimed at 129 or 61.5 though. Check out Menu 6-1-1 and do a Check Switch. If that doesn't fix it, You may want to call them and get your subscription zapped again. Palladia is on 9469.

As for the DVR, you should request a replacement unit, it shouldn't have a short in it. They usually will exchange it, especially since you upgraded recently. When I upgraded it was through DishinitUp and they sent me a new 722.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

Dude, I'd sent it right back and ask for a different one. Refurbished is one thing, used is another. Having shows still on it indicates the no one even looked at the thing before putting it back in a box and sending it off to you.

I like Dish, but not enough that I'd keep a unit that wasn't at least inspected and fully funtional. Call Charlie Chat and yell at him :)

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Ah it's an AT&T Dish box then, made by 2Wire I think. That would explain it. AT&T's dropping the ball, not Dish in this case. Dish just sells the programming.

I'm surprised AT&T didn't try to move you to DirecTV.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I like Dish, but not enough that I'd keep a unit that wasn't at least inspected and fully funtional. Call Charlie Chat and yell at him :)

They'd just say he has to call AT&T. Dish doesn't handle the AT&T customers, AT&T does all of that. In the future they'll be either UVerse customers (In Uverse markets) or DirecTV customers (through AT&T).