DirectTV HD DVR - opinions?

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I'm soon going to be moving to a new house (crossing my fingers that escrow closes without issue!) and I am considering moving to DirectTV from COX digital cable. If I do DirectTV I will want to get the HD DVR. The problem is that I have been using TiVo for the past 3-4 years and would like to get people's opinion as to the quality of the DirectTV HD DVR. I tried the COX HD DVR and took it back after about 10 minutes of use.

Has anyone used the DirectTV HD DVR, and if so what is your opinion of it? A bonus would be to get an opinion from someone who is also a TiVo user :).

MoeSyslack

Oct 14, 2008
Summer Shade KY
I have one of those. Ive never used TIVO or any other DVR, but it works great. I can set it to record seasons of shows with or without repeats and they have a search option so I can find shows if Im not sure which channel it is on.

It can record about 50 hrs of HD shows or 200 hrs of SD.

If there are particular features your looking for post them up and Ill tell you if it has it.

Reactions: ProperModulation

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
thanks for the info! How fast is the interface? Meaning, do you have to sit and wait when you go between the DVR screens? Also, can you put it in your home network and transfer programs between DVRs?

I'm going back and forth between getting HD Tivo or going with DirectTV.

MoeSyslack

Oct 14, 2008
Summer Shade KY
The interface is kinda slow. It takes about 2 seconds for the menus and screens to change.

You cant transfer shows between dvrs. They say its coming but it will probably take a long time.

You can network it to your computer and watch computer content; videos, pictures, music(if it is the correct format). Plus watch DVR content on the computer. But both systems are kinda buggy and doesnt always work. On the Directv forums they say that it is the beta for being able to network DVRs.

Heres the link to the forums. Forums