Direct Fm Connector Not Working

dfoley

Nov 17, 2016
I have installed my FM Direct Connector in a Toyotal Corrolla 2009. It fits in perfectly without any antenna adaptors. Problem is it doesn't do anything.

It's like it's not even there. SO a few things I did to test:

1. Have the FM Direct connected to the antenna input of the radio. Leave the car antenna unplugged. Leave the fm connection unplugged. I can tune into all FM stations like usual. As if just the FM Direct itself is a good enough antenna for my car.

2. Unplug everything from the radio antenna input. No FM Stations come in.

Any suggestions as to what's going on here? If this thing works I would think test #1 would have no FM

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Hi dfoley. Welcome to the DRC.

Sorry you're having trouble with your rig.

Was the direct connector working before on a different car, or is this the first you've tried to hook it up?
Did you set both the satellite radio and your car stereo to the same fm channel number?

image.jpeg

It's been a while since I've used mine, but the only thing I remember that might be missing is an adapter. Not many cars need one, but if you've done everything else, and it's not working, check to see if you need an adapter.

If you can't find which adapter you need (if you think you need one), give TSS Radio a call. They can figure it out for you.

dfoley

Nov 17, 2016
my car didn't need an adaptor.. it's annenna connections fit right into the adapter. Channels are the same. It was brand new, and i swaped it out with another brand new one just incase. I also swapped the base unit of the stratus 7 with a new one as well. Nothing has changed.

Again if I plug "to vehicle am/fm radio" (in the above diagram) and nothing else.. it acts just like i have the cars own antenna hooked up. (perfect reception). Its like the length of wire to the adaptor is plenty enough for it to get great reception.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
But no satellite signal gets to the fm station that you have programmed?

I've only used the direct connector on Fords, so I don't know what the adapters actually do. I don't know if they do more than adjust the size of the plugs, or if they change something with the contact locations or alter the signal.

Does the stratus work in your home dock?

dfoley

Nov 17, 2016
the satellite signal gets to the fm station just fine. Just still has a bit of static behind it. Just like it is WITHOUT using the direct connect. I got the direct connect because I thought it would eliminate that static.

The adaptors adjust the size of the plugs.. not all cars use the same size plugs.

dfoley

Nov 17, 2016
yes. What i don't thing you are understanding is that when I use the fm direct there is no change whatsoever. I can still tune into all the rest of the regular fm channels. Its as if i never installed the fm direct in the first place. I thought the fm direct is suppose to remove reception for everything but the channel sirus is set to. If not what's the point.

I feel like something is wrong with my car. Like i could put anything into that antenna jack and it would get fm just fine. the only time it get no reception is when NOTHING is plugged into it.

Like i said i can plug the fm direct into my antenna jack of the radio, and not have the direct fm hooked up to anything else an i'm getting perfect reception. That shouldn't be the case right? Because i didn't plug my car antenna into the fm direct.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Like I said, it's been a while since I've used mine. The car I bought 4 years ago has an auxiliary input, so the details are a little fuzzy on the direct connect. As I recall, the straight fm stations are still active when the direct connect is plugged in. When you change stations to the one that your satellite is programmed to, you will get the satellite signal. It doesn't block the fm reception, just assigns your satellite to one of them. That's why you pick an fm spot on your dial that doesn't have any fm station. Since you tried a second direct connect, and it isn't working either, it sounds like you've got one of two problems. Either your dock is bad, or there really might be an adapter that you need. The length of the male part of the direct connect might not be long enough to make a firm connection in the socket.

Give TSS Radio a call. They are great with this stuff and won't try to sell you a bunch of crap that you don't need.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You said if you disconnect car antenna, direct connect adapter is picking up fm channels. This sounds like the issue. It shouldn't do that. It should only pick up the channel set for your sat radio. The fact it is picking up other channels means you will get the same interference. From my recollections of the good old days with FM radio reception.