Digital Camera question

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'm not very tech-savvy, and I'd appreciate if someone could help me. :)

I've got a digital camera, Pentax Optio M20. Like a lot of digital cameras, it captures video images. Every so often, I empty the video images off the camera onto a folder in My Documents on my computer. It ends up in QuickTime movie format.

What would be the simplest way I could take those videos and move them to some kind of DVD?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Honestly I'm not sure how it ends up in QuickTime instead of the Windows version. :idunno:
Will that make it more difficult to move to DVD?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Are you using Vista or XP?

I just tried to open up a .wmv video with quicktime on Vista, but it didn't work. I might have to update it.

If you are in Vista you can change the default programs for any service.

Control Panel, default programs, set default programs "or" set program access and computer defaults.

I would change them all to Windows Media. Then you should be able to select your video and right click and send to DVD Drive and burn away.

Just my thoughts. I hope I have helped a little bit. :)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm not very tech-savvy, and I'd appreciate if someone could help me. :)

I've got a digital camera, Pentax Optio M20. Like a lot of digital cameras, it captures video images. Every so often, I empty the video images off the camera onto a folder in My Documents on my computer. It ends up in QuickTime movie format.

What would be the simplest way I could take those videos and move them to some kind of DVD?

I use Nero. It provides all sorts of DVD authoring stuff. You can load up different videos in different formats, give them chapter breaks, create menus and all that stuff.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, Nero has a program called Nero Recode (I think that's what it's called). You click "Compile a DVD", drag the files in the window and follow the rest of the instructions.

I'm not sure if it works with Quicktime files, but it's worth a shot.

I would also suggest using WMV (or MPEG-2) as your container/codec. Though, I'm not sure how you can do that exactly with your camera. Check the manuals for the software it came with or just call them (manufacturers) up and ask.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Nero Recode changes codecs. Nero Vision authors DVDs. They both come with Nero. Aaron wanted to put these files on a DVD; I'm assuming he means create a DVD that can be played in any DVD player, so he needs to author a DVD.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Only problem with Nero is that it's commercial software, which means you get a trial period and then have to buy it (or steal it. :headbang:).

So, I like to use freeware and/or open source.

Here is a good list of FW/OS utilities; maybe you can find something useful:

I want a Freeware Utility to ... 450+ common problems solved : eConsultant

Open source is the future, baby. An army of geeks around the world, all hell-bent on improving your software--for free. Because they can.

Life is good.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Yeah, I actually bought Nero. But it was cheap, considering how much use I get out of it. It's great for all sorts of video production and translation.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Yeah, I actually bought Nero. But it was cheap, considering how much use I get out of it. It's great for all sorts of video production and translation.

It's a good value if you use it a lot. Open source can be less polished and often the developers assume the end users have more knowledge than they really do--like the forum Nazis in any Linux forum. :mad: