Did You All See This...Royalty?

Mr. Underhill

Oct 27, 2009
SIRIUS Satellite Radio - U.S. Music Royalty Fee

I'm new to this forum, however, I have been w/ Sirus since Stern first announced his move... and I'm getting more and more irritated each day.

i just actually read the link I posted above (which is from Sirius website)... basically our monthly fee is going to go up like $2.00 a month. Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

This may just be the straw that breaks my back...

1st- it was no Stern streaming on-line and w/ thick windows at work.. this made me much too productive at work given my salary.

2nd- Sirius hardware meager in comparison to XM

3rd-I get iPhone eagerly await IPHONE APP!... not going to even go forward here. But I must... they want me to spend extra 2 bucks to get something I was promised before.

4th- Get new Plug and Play Unit. This time unable to hook car charger directly to stock radio b/c it needs the a/c converter adapter thing. Oh yeah, I find out I can hook it directly, but gonna cost me. So got this unsightly unit with cigarette thing sticking out of charger.

5th- forced to purchase Pocket Tunes for iPhone and realize I should have spent the 10 upfront bucks earlier.

6th- notice Sky Dock...seems real cool (considering it still not as plush that looks more factory)...but hey it works with Iphone, slacker, pandora... but oh yeah, sorry, it doesn't work with Sirius, just XM with the best of SIRIUS package (this is assuming you want Stern (which is how SIRIUS) got the money to fight the NAB...our money!

7th- We all know Stern ain't gonna be here for long. First, Sirius aint got no money. I bought substantial stock at $6.50 or so (please don't tell me what it is now). Stern gonna make so much more direct podcast. Gloadly pay 10 bucks or so for that.

8th- Music quality? Pandora via my iphone sounds much better through iphone that satellite service which stinks.

9th- thinking of getting sweet double din dvd unit. Oh, does not include SIRIUS...but it's "ready", which means, spend $100 bucks and you get it. Not sure it is worth it any more.

10th- have you ever contacted customer service? need I say more.

Sorry for that folks, but now they want us to front them $2month when they said they wouldn't raise rates. Oh yeah... this is not a rate increase, it's a fee. I understand now.

I propose as an act of civil disobedience, at least I just may do so, going to this site I've heard of where Stern is free and simply send that man a check for $10 a month. Ijust want what I want w/o being jerked around.

Gotta go back to the Fryer.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hey it is what it is! You either absorb the cost or you pass them along. Sirius XM finally decided to pass them along. No, I don't like it, I don't think anyone does. However, that is legit business expense for them. It isn't like they can decide not to pay their royalty fees.

In the end each of us have a choice to make. Pay it or move along!

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Um....it's been a few months since they started this fee....why is it "breaking your back" now?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
You could always sell your old hardware on ebay and get a few bucks back.

Not much else for you to do if you don't want to pay the fee. I don't think anyone here would openly endorse obtaining Sirius/XM programming through illegal means...but do what you have to do.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Mr Underhill isn't a Hobbit.
Me thinks he's a troll.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I believe Mr. Underhill is just frustrated. I understand where you're coming from, bro.

But ultimately, if it's too much, like DAB said, maybe it's time to give up the service.

No one said SIRI|XM's decision makers are making the best choices and evidently, a lot of people are left wondering how they've come to some of their conclusions.

I'd suggest taking what you're written here and throw it into a word processor, print it, and mail it off to Mel Karmazin or some other exec of your choosing.

Good luck, amigo.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I tried to listen to FM in the car....might as well been AM or short wave or nothing at all. So bad.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I tried to listen to FM in the car....might as well been AM or short wave or nothing at all. So bad.

Don't knock shortwaves..... they come in super handy when the electricity goes out or you need to listen to VHF and CB frequencies.

:right:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I pay $30.78 per month for two subs and premium internet--that included the royalty fee.

I listen for about 8 hours per day on average for 5 days we week. this is about 160 hours per month. This does not include however much my wife listens--not that much so we'll just say that sub is a waste. So, 160 hours divided by 30.78 costs me about 19 cents per hour to have two subs and premium internet.

I get what you're saying about costs and sure, I wish the royalty fee wasn't there but for .19 cents per hour, it is the best thing in the entire world.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
This will sound terrible, but I'm really tired of listening to people bitch about the difference between $13/mo. and $15/mo.

If that kind of money is life changing for you, then you shouldn't have satrad at all.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
This will sound terrible, but I'm really tired of listening to people bitch about the difference between $13/mo. and $15/mo.

If that kind of money is life changing for you, then you shouldn't have satrad at all.

Haha! You tell 'em!!!

asaberan

Mar 24, 2009

It's not the amount of money, it's entirely principle. We are the people who stuck by Sirius, believed in it years ago, sold it to friends and family. We stood by Sirius when they wanted to merge with XM and the FCC said "IT MIGHT BE A MONOPOLY, OH NO!!!!" But we believed Mel and Sirius when they said "No fee increases, great a la carte packages, blah blah blah" and here we are, paying more and more every couple of months when they find another loophole around "we won't raise subscription fees."

When I signed up in 2004, I was paying $12.99/month; today I am paying over $18/month. That is a 50% increase.

The best thing [in my opinion] that Sirius has going for it is that FM is absolutely horrendous these days, but that doesn't excuse them from letting the customer service go down the toilet all the while charging us 50% more on top of it.

bubbasgoped

Nov 16, 2009
Omaha, NE
It's not the amount of money, it's entirely principle. We are the people who stuck by Sirius, believed in it years ago, sold it to friends and family. We stood by Sirius when they wanted to merge with XM and the FCC said "IT MIGHT BE A MONOPOLY, OH NO!!!!" But we believed Mel and Sirius when they said "No fee increases, great a la carte packages, blah blah blah" and here we are, paying more and more every couple of months when they find another loophole around "we won't raise subscription fees."

When I signed up in 2004, I was paying $12.99/month; today I am paying over $18/month. That is a 50% increase.

The best thing [in my opinion] that Sirius has going for it is that FM is absolutely horrendous these days, but that doesn't excuse them from letting the customer service go down the toilet all the while charging us 50% more on top of it.

AGREED! %12.99 but to have internet, oh and this royalty charge! Whats next an admin fee to process payments!

I would be gone if it wasn't for Howard 100/101!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
When I got my first XM radio I was only paying $9.95/mo :)

If you don't want to pay the higher price, cancel the service. Its not like it's a crime or we're going to hate you :worried:

I'm acting on principle by paying for radio so I can listen to the Nascar races where ever I go & so I don't have to losten to commercials when I listen to my music :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Semi I've never understood why people keep a service that makes them so freaking miserable. I mean come on is Howard really worth all that. Crap... if the service is so bad cancel it and move back to FM where you life will really be enjoyable. LOL

When you consider the cost of sat radio even now at the higher rates it is still a better value than most other entertainment options. Raising rates had to be done in order for this service to survive, but lets not look at that.