Did O&A respond to Howard's remarks about Wood Yi?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I said it all in the title, but you guys listen to the show, so was there any response whatsoever?

Nov 13, 2008
I said it all in the title, but you guys listen to the show, so was there any response whatsoever?

They pretty much called Howard a out of touch douche. They mentioned the economy as a whole; the stock market, the housing market, car sales, everything is doing bad - not just radio. The also mentioned how Sirius' stock is tanked as well and how convenient that Howard failed to mention that. :clueless:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the update...I figured if they knew about it that they would at least mention it.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
He was let go two years or so before his retirement date. Howard talked about.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I looked on SFN and found a guy that posted the audio of their take on what Howard said about them. Now the stuff Howard said on Wednesday's show makes sense. Howard kept talking about the economy effecting ratings. I didn't understand what he was talking about...now I know.

Well, it would appear that they both listen to one another, or at the very least they both have people keeping one another informed on what the other says.

Mildly entertaining.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I listened to howard, then went right to the virus afterwards, and oddly enough, O&A was just starting, so I caught their whole rant. They played audio of howard and said they weren't going to 'play nice' anymore and didnt care what tim sabien or scott greenstein said about it, they were going to bash howard if he bashes them.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Hear me out for a second. Howard said something about how O&A coudn't "replace" him, right?

If you think about it, Howard's stations were split up into three zones after he left. I think it was Adam Carolla with the western stations, Rover with the central stations, and David Lee Roth with the eastern stations. Eventually, O&A took over for DLR, and eventually, Rover got the axe. I have no idea what happened to Adam Carolla.

For a while, O&A were doing mornings in Columbus (more of southern Columbus, as the station was actually several miles south of Columbus) on a station they used to do afternoons on. This station went country and O&A were axed. This situation has been happening all over the country. Part of it is the economy in general, and part of it is the shape of FM radio. Look at the situation now. Satellite radio, MP3, internet, WiMax.

When Howard left CBS, some listeners went with him, some stayed behind, others might have gone to MP3 players, and even more may have done something else. I think you also have to look at the fact that his "ratings" included not only the hard-core fans, but also the casual fans and the people who would listen for several hours just to report stuff to the FCC in hopes of him getting fined. The "ratings" included all those people.

Let's take this real world for a second. Suppose you had a something which was available for free. If you were going to move to a subscription service, available only on equipment available for an approximate cost of $200, would you get 100% of your audience? 80%? If I have to visit the library for internet access, then my favorite website is blocked, i'm done. Especially if I can't afford my own computer.

Like I said, he had three "main groups" of listeners. The hard-cores, the casuals, and the complainers.

Like Howard or hate Howard, he was a big force in morning radio for years. I'm going to guess that when he meant that CBS couldn't "replace" him, he might have meant more along the lines of "fill his shoes." When Michael Jordan retired from the Bulls, and that team was broken up, sure, the Chicago Bulls found players for their roster. But, could they find a new Michael Jordan? Did they sell out arenas wherever they played?

The thing that semi-stinks about O&A's FM situation is that the hardcore fans all listen on XM. If i'm listening to several hours of O&A a day, go on their message boards, and talk all about their show, am I paying for the whole show on XM or listening to a partial, censored show on FM? And if I subscribe to XM, what motivation is there for me to listen on FM? If I don't listen on XM, what happens to the ratings? If O&A's FM ratings improve (and anyone's ratings could always improve), Howard has no reason to say "CBS couldn't find someone to replace me."

Dare I bring it up, but Bubba's FM/satellite situation might possibly be a bit better. The hard-core Bubba fans can listen in the morning, possibly affect those ratings (I don't know how listening online improves FM ratings), and then listen to the afternoon show. I'll go out on a limb here, but could things improve for O&A's FM ratings if they did two seperate, unique shows? If fans listened on FM in the mornings, then fired up the XM radios for a second show, they'd have motivation to listen to FM radio.

Summary - CBS found someone for the 6 AM to 10 AM slot. But, could they find someone to reproduce his ratings and his popularity?

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
That's correct. The powers that be couldn't replicate the success that Howard brought to the radio division that could no longer afford him. Howard was replaced with varying degrees of mild success, but mainly through a disastrous two year misfortune at what once was a very successful two decade run.

As far as Carolla is concerned, he still has his morning radio show and though he lost a couple of stations along the way, he's picked up a couple as well. His show does remarkably well in Seattle and Las Vegas(where it has been the #1 morning show) and moderately well in all of his remaining markets.

There was a time when I hoped that Adam would come over to satellite to be part of Howard's programming, but it looks as if Adam was right in assessing the situation at Sirius as a situation that wasn't going to be able to afford to pay for talent, or rather talent other than Howard Stern.

We'll see after the first of the year what's in store for the other talent at Sirius. Will Bubba still have two jobs or will he just be working for where the money is...at terrestrial radio? Will Opie and Anthony continue to work at satellite...I believe they will, but I don't really know their contract status.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I listen to Howard everyday and he rarely ever mentions O&A. Why do they care what he says? From reading the message boards here and a couple other places it looks like those two are the ones that are into Howard. I guess if they just want to bash on Howard all the time thats cool. I just don't get it. Again I don't listen to O&A. They were on here in Columbus for a little while and then they were axed because of ratings. I tried them out and they weren't for me. I guess I just don't understand why O&A and their fans care what Howard says. I will tell you this Howard fans and Howard himself for the most part could care less about O&A. I'm in no way trying to start anything. I just don't get it. They should just let it go and enjoy whatever success they have and will have. Life is to freaking short. Trust me I know.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I listen to Howard everyday and he rarely ever mentions O&A. Why do they care what he says? From reading the message boards here and a couple other places it looks like those two are the ones that are into Howard. I guess if they just want to bash on Howard all the time thats cool. I just don't get it. Again I don't listen to O&A. They were on here in Columbus for a little while and then they were axed because of ratings. I tried them out and they weren't for me. I guess I just don't understand why O&A and their fans care what Howard says. I will tell you this Howard fans and Howard himself for the most part could care less about O&A. I'm in no way trying to start anything. I just don't get it. They should just let it go and enjoy whatever success they have and will have. Life is to freaking short. Trust me I know.

This post was in response to me asking whether or not O&A responded to what Howard said about O&A's lack of Howard type of success at his old station as being part of the reason, if not the reason, as to why "Wood Yi" was fired.

O&A responded(I heard it via a rapidshare account on SFN) to what Howard said. And as it turns out, if you listened to Howard last week you would have heard Howard referring to "guys that think" the economy is why they can't get ratings. Howard does talk about them, he just didn't do it by name.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
This post was in response to me asking whether or not O&A responded to what Howard said about O&A's lack of Howard type of success at his old station as being part of the reason, if not the reason, as to why "Wood Yi" was fired.

O&A responded(I heard it via a rapidshare account on SFN) to what Howard said. And as it turns out, if you listened to Howard last week you would have heard Howard referring to "guys that think" the economy is why they can't get ratings. Howard does talk about them, he just didn't do it by name.

Ok..... but why do they care? Why do O&A fans care? I guess thats what I don't get. A lot of O&A fans make a big deal out of hating Howard and saying he sucks,but who cares? I mean they must listen to him to be able to say he sucks. It just makes no sense. If they truely didn't care what Howard thinks they wouldn't ever mention him. I don't bag on O&A because I never listen to them. It makes no difference to me if they hate him or not. I don't hate those guys. It just seems a bit childish. Why not enjoy O*A and not worry about Howard and his fans? O*A should just say fuck it and not care but I don't think they can from what all I read on the boards. Screw it..... It doesn't matter to me. It's fucking radio people.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, I don't really care what O&A fans think of the Stern show anymore than I care what Stern fans think of O&A's show, all of that talk is mind numbingly boring. However, I was interested in hearing if O&A responded to what Howard said about them. Howard did call them out by name. I only know about what they said because I eventually found a thread on SFN and a link to a rapidshare account. If not, I might not ever had heard their remarks and I most certainly would not have understood the remarks that Howard made on Wednesday and Thursday's show because Howard didn't go into any detail as to why he making jokes about them.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Honestly, I think it all goes back to the gag order. From what I understand, O&A were saying negative things about Howard's kids and ex-wife. Understandably, Howard didn't like that and went behind O&A's backs to Mel. Understandably, O&A didn't like that and apparently have had a grudge ever since.

Howard really doesn't care about O&A, because in his eyes, they're the smaller show. The way I see it, in O&A's eyes, Howard is the #1 king, the big boy, and they would certainly enjoy a role reversal (who wouldn't?)

You're right though. Howard isn't for everyone, and neither is O&A. They should both focus on doing the best shows they possibly can and put a cease to the bashing. Would I bash the crap out of a co-worker, or try to do the best job I can?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Honestly, I think it all goes back to the gag order. From what I understand, O&A were saying negative things about Howard's kids and ex-wife. Understandably, Howard didn't like that and went behind O&A's backs to Mel. Understandably, O&A didn't like that and apparently have had a grudge ever since.

Thats just childish. You don't attack someones kids and wife. I remember Bubba saying something labout that. If thats why O&A fans like them then I'm really glad I don't listen to them.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
That's correct. The powers that be couldn't replicate the success that Howard brought to the radio division that could no longer afford him. Howard was replaced with varying degrees of mild success, but mainly through a disastrous two year misfortune at what once was a very successful two decade run.

As far as Carolla is concerned, he still has his morning radio show and though he lost a couple of stations along the way, he's picked up a couple as well. His show does remarkably well in Seattle and Las Vegas(where it has been the #1 morning show) and moderately well in all of his remaining markets.

There was a time when I hoped that Adam would come over to satellite to be part of Howard's programming, but it looks as if Adam was right in assessing the situation at Sirius as a situation that wasn't going to be able to afford to pay for talent, or rather talent other than Howard Stern.

We'll see after the first of the year what's in store for the other talent at Sirius. Will Bubba still have two jobs or will he just be working for where the money is...at terrestrial radio? Will Opie and Anthony continue to work at satellite...I believe they will, but I don't really know their contract status.

I do remember Howard calling Adam Carolla on the air once. Artie made the point that they couldn't curse (although technically they could, it would have just been bleeped out on Adam's show and uncensored on Howard's show.)

I believe O&A's last deal was up earlier this year. I think I remember discussion about them signing a new deal, but I don't know how long it is for.

Honestly, if i'm Bubba, i'm going to tell my fans that I signed a new deal as soon as I can. This would stop the freaking out on the part of his fans, but maybe that would lead to worries that Bubba got the money he wants which would negatively affect the stock???

Still, I don't see much good in stringing his fans along...if he signed a new deal, he should probably just come out and say so...it would take a great deal of pressure of his fans.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Thats just childish. You don't attack someones kids and wife. I remember Bubba saying something labout that. If thats why O&A fans like them then I'm really glad I don't listen to them.

That's just how I heard things...there could be more to the story.

From what I hear, O&A do offer more of a variety show. They'll also ask a lot of "regular" questions, whereas Howard normally tends to focus on the sex-type questions.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
You must not have listened to Stern in the 80's and 90's then because he attacked everything. He was merciless against Regis when there were reports that had a crippled child that he wasn't taking of financially. He went after everything in John DiBella's life. He would attack anyone at any time and nothing was offsides.

O&A reported a rumor that one of Sterns daughters od, and Mr Champion of Free Speech went to the bosses and had them force O&A to stop. He is all for free speech, when he is the one that wants to speak, but not for anyone else.

I was a fan of both shows. Stern was on in the morning and O&A were on in the afternoon. I never picked a side in the fight. I understand both sides. I don't listen to Stern anymore. I stopped after the fake Artie and Teddy stuff and Howard pulling the replays. They replayed so much crap on Sirius since he got there, but the one time I really wanted to hear a repeat and he yanked it.

The show just isn't interesting to me anymore. I don't think Howard is trying very hard and no one that works on the show now is willing to call him on his bs. Others still like the show and good for them. The O&A show isn't for everyone and there are days I tune out, but they are funny enough to keep me entertained and they are at the very least making an effort

There is enough room in the world for both shows and there is no reason people can't like both.