Did anyone notice Howard's digs at Billy West today?

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I caught this today and a thread at SFN reminded me of it.

I'll copy and paste:
Anyone catch it? During the discussion of Howard's second book from November of 1995, Howard was defending what he wrote about Fred. "How long was Al Rosenberg with the show? How long was our friend from Washington DC with the show? Two days? How come a certain other person is no longer with the show that I just couldn't care less about?"

I remember hearing this live in 1995 and being quite upset because this was the first time I had heard anything of Billy being gone. And it was the last time Billy was brought up in any context in the studio for many years after that, and he didn't even fucking say his name.

But I think this quote basically contains the reason Billy left. Howard clearly never showed any appreciation for Billy's contribution to the show, and wouldn't go to bat for him to get more money. Instead of going in for protracted negoiations like Jackie, Billy just walked. I can't believe it's been 14 years.

Anyway every time Howard says he doesn't know why Billy won't do his show is bullshit. Apparently he didn't give a fuck about the guy and was glad he left.

Funny though how on the air Howard always acts the innocent. Never mentioning the Gary Garver firing and the real reasons for Billy's departure.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
That's very astute. It sounds like you are right. He does act innocent and plays the role of puppetmaster. It's amazing that some people don't get that he works like that. For example the way he gave JD the power to let go of Ronnies show.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
No wonder Billy West is bitter. That and the whole "sign this paper that absolves us of any responsibility if you get sued" thing.

How about that guy from Howard TV whose name escapes me at the moment? He left during the time they were on Sirius and Howard spent an entire segment ripping him apart for his new choice of employment. Howard seems to resent anyone that goes on to make a better living elsewhere and leave his team. Maybe he'll get to that in therapy some day.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
No wonder Billy West is bitter. That and the whole "sign this paper that absolves us of any responsibility if you get sued" thing.

How about that guy from Howard TV whose name escapes me at the moment? He left during the time they were on Sirius and Howard spent an entire segment ripping him apart for his new choice of employment. Howard seems to resent anyone that goes on to make a better living elsewhere and leave his team. Maybe he'll get to that in therapy some day.

Isaac Marks. I would say it's fairly natural to passionate employers to get frustrated when people jump ship. When you see the future in your organization it's irritating when others don't see it. Bubba seems the same way. Think of how much ribbing Chip got after quitting.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Isaac Marks. I would say it's fairly natural to passionate employers to get frustrated when people jump ship. When you see the future in your organization it's irritating when others don't see it. Bubba seems the same way. Think of how much ribbing Chip got after quitting.
Yeah. That's another situation that bugged me. He got so much shit and Guido was allegedly so much better and we know how that turned out. Guido obviously thought his racing was far more important than his job and don't even get me started on his half assed redesign of btls.com.

His best contribution was when he fucked up and Bubba, Cowhead and the gang spent a good hour or so burying the guy. :jj:

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I did catch that Billy West reference and was quite shocked. I've only been listening since 1998, so the only line I've gotten is the innocent line from Howard regarding Billy's departure. It seems fairly clear now that Howard just didn't like him and passive-aggressively pushed him out. I mean, writing awful things for him to say, in character, and then wanting him to sign a release that says he alone is liable for what he says? Please.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH

Your right about that one. They had a guy on the wrap up show last week. I forget his name. Anyway they were talking about health insurance and they asked the guy from Howard TV if he has any. He said no. I'm pretty sure Howard TV doesn't even offer health insurance benefits. I know I might get flamed for saying this..... but if thats true Howard is a greedy bastard. Just look at Bubba he paid all of his guys salary and benefits when they got fired. He did that for two years. Say what you want about Bubba, but thats fucking generous.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

Howard also flamed the hell out of Scott Einziger when he left the E! show to go do The Amazing Race. Went on for a month of Sundays about how he would fail, and that show was stupid, etc. He also took some heat for "stealing" another of Howard's ideas for the show "Are you Hot".

Howard has always been like this, so not sure why so many people are surprised when these things pop up. On the same token, it's because he's like this that he has made some great radio. As long as I'm not taking the bullets, doesn't bother me :)

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Howard also flamed the hell out of Scott Einziger when he left the E! show to go do The Amazing Race. Went on for a month of Sundays about how he would fail, and that show was stupid, etc. He also took some heat for "stealing" another of Howard's ideas for the show "Are you Hot".

Howard has always been like this, so not sure why so many people are surprised when these things pop up. On the same token, it's because he's like this that he has made some great radio. As long as I'm not taking the bullets, doesn't bother me :)

I remember that and thinking what a dick he was.

Howie is loving the fact that Jackie never did anything big after leaving the show and that now Suttering John lost his announcer gig. In fact Howard lets Jackie have that show to remind him he's nobody without him.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
He was always funny on the show and he does great voice overs on cartoons obviously, but I cringe whenever I see him on TV. He looks like a creepy pedophile.