Phoenix
Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 | ProHockeyTalk

New-Detroit-Arena-Concept-Aerial.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't really mind the Joe being a little bit away from the Lions and Tigers, those spots get pretty packed one one event is going on, with concerts, and other bookings at the Wings new arena, spreading things out a bit could be good. Either way, I'm glad to see more investment in the D.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Reactions: semipenguin

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I still like to see the Pistons move to Detroit, but they don't want to move away from Auburn Hills.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
I like the new design. The old design resembled too much of a barn. Then again, so did the old Olympia. The Ilitches are truly committing themselves to rebuilding Detroit.

Now, will the Pistons move back to the Motor City? Well, here's how I think of it. After the Red Wings gain their new arena in 2017, The Palace will be the oldest arena in the Detroit area still in use. This is a rebuilding year for the Pistons (new coach, new players and a still fairly-new owner) but I think there could be some options for the Pistons to move back into town, such as sharing the new arena with the Red Wings and if Detroit can pony up the $$$ to build a new arena. Bear in mind that Detroit's bankrupt, but they do want to invest in its future.

Of course, Auburn Hills will fight to maintain the Pistons, especially since the Silverdome - also off of I-75 - is no longer in use and in very bad shape. There's also other parts of that area that are pretty iffy looking and in need of redevelopment.

BLyons, according to Wikipedia....

In 1932, the NHL let grain merchant James E. Norris, who had made two previous unsuccessful bids to buy an NHL team, purchase the Falcons. Norris' first act was to choose a new name for the team – the Red Wings. Earlier in the century, Norris had been a member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, a sporting club with cycling roots. The MAAA's teams were known by their club emblem and these Winged Wheelers were the first winners of the Stanley Cup in 1893. Norris decided that a version of their logo was perfect for a team playing in the Motor City and on October 5, 1932 the club was renamed the Red Wings.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
To me personally if the owner wants a new building, make them pay it. Sometimes the public and the city can't afford these venues and when more decades go by these venues are going to become more and more expensive. Like a new stadium can almost cost close to a billion dollars and arenas maybe a little over 200 million?

I know in Phoenix just renatative the U.S. Airways center about 10 years ago for a little over $50 million, which the city forked over and now today, the Suns are kinda hinting for a new venue already and the arena is getting close to being 23 years old. They have Jobing Arena probably about 15 miles away and that venue is about 10 years old. To me personally move the Suns, where the Coyotes play, so both teams can share the arena for the next decade plus and then when the time is right and the money is there, build a new arena in downtown Phoenix, so both teams can come back home.

Hell I wouldn't imagine in the next few years, the Dbacks might be asking for a new stadium?

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I have mixed feeling on the community helping build sports stadiums. On the one hand they can be used for a lot of other things and bring tax money and jobs to a community, on the other why should the owners get part or all of a new venue for free? I guess you gotta figure out how much money that stadium can bring your community. If the returns are greater than the expense it's probably worth it.
The shitty thing is too if your community won't do it, some other community probably will. Raiders will be in LA in 2 years unless Oakland ponies up for a new stadium. The Colosseum is the worst stadium in the NFL by a long ways, that place is a ghetto within a ghetto. I am surprised they haven't moved already. They are the only team in the NFL that shares a stadium with a baseball team.

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Looks pretty sweet and pretty cool to have all the sports venues in downtown.