Denied Access - Where's the race?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Did anyone hear Moody talk about the number of hits that the MRN website got over the past two, Monday races? He said that they were getting around 200 hits per second. Their website crashed during the Pocono race causing them to upgrade their servers. It seemed to handle the demand for this past Monday's race @ Watkins Glen. For what reason though? It's not like you're going to be able to listen to the MRN broadcast anyhow. Yes, you can get a list of the MRN affiliates there but when you check on the net to listen to them, they're not broadcasting the race anyhow. I don't know any of the details on the Turner Broadcasting contract with NASCAR but I sure hope it's wort it to them. It sure isn't to the NASCAR fan! Using Moody's numbers, you've got 200 people per second attempting to listen to a sport that they enjoy and they're denied access. NASCAR, do you see anything wrong with that picture? Sure, you can spend the extra money and subscribe to the online service @ NASCAR.com. I'd have to guess that not everyone's got the extra money to spend. Why are they excluding fans? If they're looking for a way to help attract fans or keep the ones they have, start by not denying them access! /rantoff

Thoughts?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I agree whole heartedly.
Also, what about us who pay damn good money for Sirius NASCAR radio and then we can't listen online at work because NASCAR wants us to shell out more money to nascar.com for the honor of listening and then I don't think we'd even get the daily sirius shows!! :mad::mad: It angers me SOOOO much we're treated like this.
We're all just a dollar sign I guess but the ratings and grand stands are starting to show people are tired of this.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
It angers me SOOOO much we're treated like this.

Oh boy, I could make so many comparisons to nascar and it's fans and politicians and voters.

the ratings and grand stands are starting to show people are tired of this.

Yeah, but not enough in my opinion. It's simple for me.....I don't watch what I don't like, which is why I won't be watching the cup series this weekend. And 2/3rds of the chase is with tracks I don't care for so I don't watch that either.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
The problem isn't with officials at Nascar it is with officials at Turner. Look carefully at the bottom right corner of Nascar dot com. It says this:

© 2001-2009 NASCAR | Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Turner Entertainment Digital Network NASCAR.COM is part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Digital Network.

You see, Nascar does not even own it's own website, Turner does. And Turner also owns online rights to ALL Nascar officially branded broadcasts. Sirius has tried on more than one occasion to get the people at Turner to allow SRN128 to be streamed online. Turner wanted, as what Moody called it, "an exorbitant amount of money to seal the deal". I would think that Nascar would like to take back control of this, but with some of the boneheads there it may be wishful thinking on my part.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Wouldn't NASCAR have had to have sold them the rights in the first place? I'd think that is going to expire at some point. :scratch:

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
Im sure that the contract does expire eventually. When or if it does expire would the next group that takes it over stream FOR FREE Nascar related programming online? Just to hope that Nascar gains control of the online broadcasting rights is one thing, but to expect them to allow free streaming of broadcasts is a different issue. I'm afraid that if they do gain control, a pay to listen online will still be the norm.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
The problem isn't with officials at Nascar it is with officials at Turner. Look carefully at the bottom right corner of Nascar dot com. It says this:

© 2001-2009 NASCAR | Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Turner Entertainment Digital Network NASCAR.COM is part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Digital Network.

You see, Nascar does not even own it's own website, Turner does. And Turner also owns online rights to ALL Nascar officially branded broadcasts. Sirius has tried on more than one occasion to get the people at Turner to allow SRN128 to be streamed online. Turner wanted, as what Moody called it, "an exorbitant amount of money to seal the deal". I would think that Nascar would like to take back control of this, but with some of the boneheads there it may be wishful thinking on my part.

I know. and I know I'm beating a dead horse and nothing is going to change. It still burns my ass though. Like most things in life when big companies squabble over money its the little guy who gets screwed.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
Wouldn't NASCAR have had to have sold them the rights in the first place? I'd think that is going to expire at some point. :scratch:

Yes, the current deal with Turner was renewed at the start of the 2008 season, and lasts through the 2014 season.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Well that's just great for us Sirius fans, isint it?

Yes, that certainly sucks. While I understand not being able to carry the race coverage on the SIRIUS/XM websites, I'll still never understand why they can carry NASCAR radio's original shows. The only thing that I can figure is that they might play some of the sound bytes from MRN/PRN and that may be an issue.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Yes, that certainly sucks. While I understand not being able to carry the race coverage on the SIRIUS/XM websites, I'll still never understand why they can carry NASCAR radio's original shows. The only thing that I can figure is that they might play some of the sound bytes from MRN/PRN and that may be an issue.

Thats probably it. I wish they'd make a deal to carry the original shows. It'd be great to listen at work but its never gonna happen.
All I know is I'm never buying anything through the nascar.com website. Or even go there from now on.
I know it won't make a difference but it'll make me feel better.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Thats probably it. I wish they'd make a deal to carry the original shows. It'd be great to listen at work but its never gonna happen.
All I know is I'm never buying anything through the nascar.com website. Or even go there from now on.
I know it won't make a difference but it'll make me feel better.

I'd love to join you on that but I'm hooked on my TrackPass.