Deeper playlists = Songs that should not be on the station

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Rusted Root on Lithium? A folk band? Is this the "deeper playlist" that XMers brag about? There are at least 4 other stations this SHOULD be on and 24 is NOT it.

I cannot believe how much this sucks.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I like variety personally. I've never heard of the band you mentioned but it would be a welcome change to Alice in Chains, RHCP, Pearl Jam and soundgarden 8 times a day.
Don't get me wrong I like those band but to hear the singles constantly gets boring. they could at least play deeper songs of these artists.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
man, this is the GRUNGE STATION. It's SUPPOSED to play GRUNGE! Variety???? That's what the other 100 stations are for.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
man, this is the GRUNGE STATION. It's SUPPOSED to play GRUNGE! Variety???? That's what the other 100 stations are for.

Exactly. I Like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, but I hate Rusted Root. Why would I want to listen to them mixed in with these bands. Totally different sound and genre.

phunkyboss

Nov 17, 2008
I heard Seal on Lithium this afternoon. Pretty sure he's not from Seattle. Let's get these playlists cleaned up!

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I heard Seal on Lithium this afternoon. Pretty sure he's not from Seattle. Let's get these playlists cleaned up!

Wait, what?!??!? I take back my original statement. I never heard of that band but if they're actually playing Seal on Lithium, well that's just not cool.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I heard it too. I happen to "like" seal just strange to find him on 24. Ch9 I can see.

You can't go from MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN to CRAZY without confusion. Also, BARE NAKED LADIES ARE NOT Ch24 material either.

If I had a million dollars makes me wanna do bad things when it comes on the radio. I hate that goofy college rock crap. Hated it in college, and hate it now.

Still not grunge or alternative.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
Well, it's the 90's Alternative and Grunge channel, but what is being bitched about is not the deeper playlists that made Lucy a beloved favorite of many. No. It is a sick and twisted bastardization of Lucy. People who have no concept at all of what Lucy was about are now in charge, and it certainly shows.

Have the playlists deepened on the Sirius channels? Why yes, they certainly have. In some ways it is a good thing, in others it is a sad reminder of what great programming used to be.

And for the record Rusted Root is an alt rock band. You may not classify it that way, you may not like the sound of their music but neither changes the fact. They are more of a rock band than those sissys Nickelback and nobody complains when that boiband is played on the rock channels.

Things will settle out over time, but this is certainly a better mix than the top 20 format of the previous Sirius channels. I would have preferred a little more musical control go to XM people but it didn't happen like that.

dementia32

Nov 18, 2008
I heard two very random songs on Lithium yesterday. The first was from Jack Johnson. I'm not terribly familiar with him, but I was pretty sure that he was an artist of the 00's and not the 90's.

The second entry was from Bob Marley. Now, I like Bob Marley. I enjoy listening to some Bob Marley from time to time. However, I was completely caught off guard by hearing Marley mixed in with the type of music that I was actually expecting from a 90's alternative and grunge channel. I shouldn't even have to mention the fact that Marley wasn't even with us by the time that the 90's hit.

ruinah

Nov 18, 2008
Maryland
www.trompeters.com
I too have heard some random songs recently. I am a big AIC fan and love their stuff but do get tired of the same songs over and over. They have Helmet on right now though which is also a nice change of pace. Rusted Root is an alternative band, I have a few of their albums and they do fit the category. I listened to them back in the mid 90's. It's funny, my Lithium seemed censored until today. No censorship on Lithium at all so far this morning that I can tell.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Anyone listening to the METAL station ??? They are playing 5-6 CRAZY DEATH METAL songs then all of a sudden SUICIDAL TENDENCIES SEND ME YOUR MONEY comes on! Even Jose the DJ stumbled slightly doing the announcement.

Good song, just has NOTHING to do with the metal station and DEFINITELY not that song!

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Anyone listening to the METAL station ??? They are playing 5-6 CRAZY DEATH METAL songs then all of a sudden SUICIDAL TENDENCIES SEND ME YOUR MONEY comes on! Even Jose the DJ stumbled slightly doing the announcement.

Good song, just has NOTHING to do with the metal station and DEFINITELY not that song!

At least its sort of in the same ball park. Not like Seal.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
It sounds like it was the Grunge station. Lucy was a 90's Modern Rock channel and it sounds like they are trying to make Lithium sound like Lucy now. Seal might not fit, but BNL should be on the playlist.

90s grunge is just way too limited. There really isn't enough music to make it an interesting playlist.

It sucks that they are changing the channel you like, but look at our side. You can see how different the two playlists are in comparison. We went from a larger playlist and all of a sudden we had Jeremy and Smells like Teen Spirit.

The Modern rock channel we had in Philadelphia in the 90s did have Marley in their playlist. I can see how the grunge fans have a problem with Bob though.

ruinah

Nov 18, 2008
Maryland
www.trompeters.com

I miss hard attack. This liquid metal station is for the birds. It's all yelling all the time. Hard attack was only like that sometimes. Was this a direct port of the XM station? I don't know how anyone could sit there and listen to that stuff the way it is. I love my heavier metal stuff but this is rediculous.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
I really like the new changes. Bottom Line: If it means having a "WTF" were they thinking moment, and me changing the channel for 3 mins. SO BE IT. I would take variety and a deeper/wider playlist ANY day over playing the same Soundgarden/AIC/PJ songs.

On a different note: I dont understand why they wont play MORE songs from AIC/Soundgarden/PJ, some of the more obscure ones...

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
no just touch me I'm sick by mudhoney is as CRAZY as they get and that song is the WORST

oncesir

Nov 12, 2008
I really like the new changes. Bottom Line: If it means having a "WTF" were they thinking moment, and me changing the channel for 3 mins. SO BE IT. I would take variety and a deeper/wider playlist ANY day over playing the same Soundgarden/AIC/PJ songs.

On a different note: I dont understand why they wont play MORE songs from AIC/Soundgarden/PJ, some of the more obscure ones...

I couldnt agree more. If you really enjoy hearing the same songs over and over and a little depth that applies to the category makes you crazy an IPOD is what you need. The old Lithium was pathetic in that you can almost guarantee hearing PJ/Nirvana/AIC nearly 20 times a day. Not only was it repetitive of the bands but the same songs by those bands were played. Might as well be a single artist channel. Lucy was a far better prog'd channel and Sirius screwed it up.