Deeper Cuts on Sirius

tbone

Oct 23, 2008
I already posted this on siriusbackstage but it seems dead. I have noticed that even on Hair Nation the play list seem deeper now. I have heard some Ozzy songs that I have never heard before. They have been playing more than the usual 5 songs. Also I heard a Blue Oyster Cult song other than "Don't Fear the Reaper."

I just hope the XM people will actually give this merger a chance and not just cancel without trying it out.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well they will certainly have to go deeper to satisfy the die hard XM'ers. I am hopeful that they will do this. I also think they can take the best programming from the like channels on both services and make some really kicking channels. I do think many are jumping ship without really knowing, they are just assuming the worse.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Once in awhile to programmer for the channel wakes up and updates the playlist. That generally adds some freshness to the listeners ear. Hopefully they do keep that up.

I think Sirius will be smart in this regard. I think they will actually look at the XM play-list, and incorporate some of the music into the Sirius play-list to give the XM'ers something familiar without having to totally go so deep you lose the Sirius listener. There's alot at stake here, and I'm sure they are carefully contemplating the changes.

edgarb

Oct 19, 2008
I would like to see deeper playlists as well...actually, i think most people would just so you can learn some songs, or bands, that you didn't realize you liked...

Deacon

Oct 14, 2008
14.4 miles from Pepe's Pizza
I would like to see deeper playlists as well...actually, i think most people would just so you can learn some songs, or bands, that you didn't realize you liked...

I think there is a fine line here. On the one hand, I would love to hear deeper cuts of bands like The Cure. The reason for this is that I know most of their songs. Now if you go giving me deeper cuts of EMF, I'm more likely to tune out.

There needs to be a balance. Give me 4 songs I know for every 2 deep cuts to make sure I stay interested in the channel. Maybe it's just me, but I rarely like/appreciate a song or ablum on the first listen. I need a certian amount of repetition. So if you give me all deep cuts all the time then I am never going to get into a song and will likely bypass that channel.

Tgajr

Oct 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I agree with DAB

Well they will certainly have to go deeper to satisfy the die hard XM'ers. I am hopeful that they will do this. I also think they can take the best programming from the like channels on both services and make some really kicking channels. I do think many are jumping ship without really knowing, they are just assuming the worse.

DAB, you are talking sense. And I too have heard some deeper cuts. For example, I heard a Turtles song on the 60s channel that I never heard before.

Maybe they are going to combine the playlists of both services. Makes sense to me. Why throw out inventory that is still good?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
For me, I will be cancelling some of my XM subs simply because if the service is duplicated across the board, one of my XM radios now is redundant with my SL2. Since the SL2 is lifetime .... the XM radio will go.

If my wife no longer likes the programming ... then I may cancel hers.

If they trash the programming to my liking I will likely cancel eveything except the SL2 (kinda stuck with that one).

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think there is a fine line here. On the one hand, I would love to hear deeper cuts of bands like The Cure. The reason for this is that I know most of their songs. Now if you go giving me deeper cuts of EMF, I'm more likely to tune out.

There needs to be a balance. Give me 4 songs I know for every 2 deep cuts to make sure I stay interested in the channel. Maybe it's just me, but I rarely like/appreciate a song or ablum on the first listen. I need a certian amount of repetition. So if you give me all deep cuts all the time then I am never going to get into a song and will likely bypass that channel.

I agree. I spent about a month listening to XM and the same listening to Sirius before I chose Sirius. While I liked the variety of the deeper cuts from XM, I still missed the songs that I know and love from most of the artists. I'd be happy with ratio like the 4 to 2 that you mentioned. I cant stand listening to the local classic rock FM stations. It's always the same 3 songs from each of the top 100 chart toppers. I can't stand it.