DEAL ALERT: Slacker 2gb Portable w/ 15 stations $55 shipped (TODAY ONLY)

DEAL ALERT: Slacker 2gb Portable w/ 15 stations $55 shipped (**EXPIRED**)

Just caught this on Woot!, did a quick Froogle and seems like it is about $30 cheaper than anywhere else on the net.

I am short on cash, but figured I would pass it along for those of you contemplating a purchase. I still am fine with my XM INNO (Purchased from Woot too) for now. :cool:

December 1st until midnight CST or when sold out.

This is my first thread here at DRC so sorry if this isn't of use, just figured I would pass it on.

http://www.woot.com

Last edited:

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Since the 2nd gen unit is out, most people will pass on this as they would want the newer model.

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
So what is the difference between this one and the newer ones? For someone just looking to try it out, would this be a decent buy?

TVGenius

Nov 10, 2008
Yuma, AZ
Well, there isn't a whole lot of difference, mainly aesthetic and design changes from what I've heard. And I don't think there's anything current or announced that it doesn't do that the G2 will.

If you're looking to try it out, it's a great deal, assuming you've already discovered that the free web-based player on their site works pretty much the same and has the same content as the portables.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I jumped on 2 of these to give as gifts. Once you start with Slacker and are able to take it with you it is just amazing. This is a great deal and while it is the older more bulky model, I think the folks I have in mind to give them too will not care about that.

It is a great gift! Just remember you don't not have to subscribe to the service to use it.

jeddeth

Oct 28, 2008
Hey DAB, out of curiosity... can you explain again why you like slacker so much? I am on the fence about getting this. It is a great deal... but does it really compare to sat radio? Isn't it the same as pandora?

Appreciated.

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
I'm still on the fence also. I currently have a stiletto. At work I can't get to any streaming sites from our corporate network, so I pretty much listen to the radio replays on my stiletto (when I remember to bring it in). With the Slacker thing, I think I can get to our guest wireless at work (nothing is blocked, but doesn't broadcast the SSID so stiletto can't connect) to update, etc so could pretty much just leave it here. Work policies prohibit connecting my work laptop to the guest network, but I can use a personal device on the guest network.

Long winded response to say, I can't decide either!

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Slacker

I just signed up for Slacker this weekend. You can have a free 7 day trial. The thing I like about it is that you can design your own stations. I like the Rat Pack stuff, so I designed a Rat Pack station, using some of their suggested artists. Pretty sweet. I'm also a 70s nut, so I'll be setting this up as well. If you listen to online music, give it a try.

drowe

Oct 14, 2008
With the Slacker thing, I think I can get to our guest wireless at work (nothing is blocked, but doesn't broadcast the SSID so stiletto can't connect) to update, etc so could pretty much just leave it here

The SSID has to be broadcasted for the G1 or G2 to connect also. But, you could probably update with USB, if you have admin rights to your computer. Even if you can't update at work, you can listen to hours of stuff you updated at home. That is what I do.

drowe

Oct 14, 2008
I just signed up for Slacker this weekend. You can have a free 7 day trial. The thing I like about it is that you can design your own stations. I like the Rat Pack stuff, so I designed a Rat Pack station, using some of their suggested artists. Pretty sweet. I'm also a 70s nut, so I'll be setting this up as well. If you listen to online music, give it a try.

While you can pay for the premium service, it is not in any way required to fully use and enjoy the service. You just have to create an account to update the portable.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well guys there are several reviews on the service, though most of those are aimed more specifically at the G2 than the G1 which is what Woot is offering.

The question is it the same as Pandora, in my way of thinking absolutely not. Though Pandora is now available for streaming from phones and even the iPod Touch, it still requres a data plan or wifi connection. Once you lose that you no longer have the ability to listen. The slacker downloads via USB or Wifi at your convenience and this is when it refreshes your channels. I do mine at night when I go to bed, I just plug it in to charge and it does the rest. I wake up the morning it has a full charged battery for about 12 to 14 hours of playback with fresh playlist.

Does it compare to sat radio, music wise in my opinion it kicks sat radios ass. SQ wise it kicks sat radios ass. You ever listening to a station and just hate what is playing, you have two choices grin and bare it or switch channels. The Slacker allows you to skip to the next song and if you really don't want to hear that song again you can ban it. It won't ever plan that song again on that channel. If you use the web interface you can even ban an artist from every playing on your station again. Imagine taking your favorite 15 or 20 artist and creating a station and if you have the premium service you can even request specific songs. You can save song for later playback sort of like the Stiletto. Now Slacker doesn't have the right to every song, so some will save and some will not. However you paying for a subscription is optional.

There is no talk, sports or news yet on Slacker, there is a couple of comedy channels. But Slacker right now is all about the music and it is every bit an equal to sat radio and in my opinion even better. I am amazed at how you can customize channels even the professionally programmed ones to your liking. If you like more hits based or more fringe tunes if you like currents or classics or somewhere in between.

This Woot deal is a good one in my opinion, though this is the older bigger model. I wish all I had ever spent on sat radio originally to get started was $50. Even if you just use it occasionally it will pay for itself, but I have a feeling once you get it and start using it, you'll find you will use it a lot more than you think.

maxoct97

Nov 7, 2008
OC, California
Official Slacker Forums • G1 vs. G2 Licensing

Guys,
I just bought the Slacker G1 from woot, and we'll see when I actually get it how I like it. From what I'm reading on slacker's own forum is I'm not going to like it. It turns out they changed the licensing from G1 to G2 so only the G2 can play certain artists (The Eagles, ACDC, Metallica).

Now this is unconfirmed, but is based on users from their own forum. I post here because I wish I would have known before I spent the $55 on this. Kind of messed up if true.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Official Slacker Forums • G1 vs. G2 Licensing

Guys,
I just bought the Slacker G1 from woot, and we'll see when I actually get it how I like it. From what I'm reading on slacker's own forum is I'm not going to like it. It turns out they changed the licensing from G1 to G2 so only the G2 can play certain artists (The Eagles, ACDC, Metallica).

Now this is unconfirmed, but is based on users from their own forum. I post here because I wish I would have known before I spent the $55 on this. Kind of messed up if true.

This has been rehashed over and over. If you read the thread where the Slacker support was called and they told the user that these devices have the same license for content, but the license differer in terms of what songs can be saved to the devices vs what can be saved the the web player, those licenses are different.

Some in that thread say they don't hear certain artist, some say they have heard them and it just goes back and fourth. I think the company needs to explain the difference on their web site in an official capacity.

Bottom line is you get it and don't like it, sell it on Ebay!

sphere79

Dec 1, 2008
Some in that thread say they don't hear certain artist, some say they have heard them and it just goes back and fourth. I think the company needs to explain the difference on their web site in an official capacity.

I've recently found out that many of the artists that don't play on my G1 have been playing on the G2 - I first noticed it in the latest Orbitcast review because the Eagles were playing and I don't EVER hear Eagles on my G1 - only the software player.

I couldn't understand why the reviews for slacker were so positive here as opposed to the official forums - but it's because most here seem to have the G2 and the licensing issues are apparently fixed.

Needless to say, I along with many others are not happy Slacker customers. Many spent over $300 and were unaware at the time of purchase that the G1 experience wouldn't be exactly as they'd been used to on the software player. The first gen units are slow to respond, occasionally skip - and more importantly are missing many key artists. Slacker had told us they were working on fixing licensing issues, and apparently the "fix" is that we run out and buy a new unit.

I like Slacker, and with the demise of XM's music stations I really want them to succeed. But the way they have treated their first-gen beta-tester customers has been sub-standard. I don't expect miracles - just get the missing artists on my product please.

I can confirm AC/DC now plays on my G1, as well as Neil Young who never did in the past. But artist stations for Metallica, Beastie Boys, Eagles, etc. still yield none of those artists for me.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've recently found out that many of the artists that don't play on my G1 have been playing on the G2 - I first noticed it in the latest Orbitcast review because the Eagles were playing and I don't EVER hear Eagles on my G1 - only the software player.

I can confirm AC/DC now plays on my G1, as well as Neil Young who never did in the past. But artist stations for Metallica, Beastie Boys, Eagles, etc. still yield none of those artists for me.

I am going to attempt to get an official word on this from Slacker! Since this forum has really been instrumental in pushing their product and it certainly seem they are pushing the G2 over the G1. I did order a couple of these and I am glad I did because then I can test this stuff out for myself. The folks I ordered them for will more than likely careless if Matallica, Beastie Boys or the Eagles play, but still it shouldn't be a difference. The post that I've seen in various posting on the Slacker forum seem to indicate that the license are not different, but I can't say because I don't know.

I do not want to downplay this, but by the same token, I don't want to over blow it to be this huge terrible thing. I've not really seen this posted or argued anywhere but on the Slacker forum, which of course we know forums are generally where people will complain if they have any. There are many that had sat radio in it infancy and it seemed like every few months there for a while a newer tuner with more features were coming out. Then you'd have folks yelling about how they were treated right because if they had know a new one was coming they would have waited. Still all tuners always got the same artist. If this is indeed a legit issue then Slacker needs to address it OFFICIALLY and quit dodging it.

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
I went ahead and Wooted yesterday also. I figure, what's the worst, I wasted 50 bucks if I don't like it, and as others have said, these things seem pretty ebayable. Wow, nice vocabulary huh? Wooted, ebayable....:rolleyes:

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Has anyone gotten an info on their unit yet?

This is my first woot and I am just wondering on how long I have to wait for my Slacker.

RoadRunner

Oct 13, 2008
Haven't heard a thing...SOP for Woot. It will take 5 days or so for it to get shipped, and it will go out the slowest way possible. I think my last woot was for some MicroSD cards; I got them about 3 weeks later (IIRC).