DEAL ALERT!: 8gb/40 Stations G1 $75 Shipped @ Sellout Woot!

Bringing you the news once again. The woot has arrived.

Slacker_8GB_WiFi_Internet_Radio_Player_with_40_StationsxgeStandard.jpg

Enjoy!

Details Link & Purchase Page

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
I missed the first 2 times Woot has these, I just got mine purchased! I've been using the Blackberry App. at work (they banned streaming) and love it. I got the G1 because I actually need to use my Blackberry for work sometimes.. haha.

drowe

Oct 14, 2008
I just got one for my wife. The G2 for me and the G1 for her. She's been forced to listen to terrestrial radio since I canceled Sirius.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm thinking about it. Would this be a worthy purchase, or should I just bypass this and get the new unit?

You just have to decide between the size difference vs price difference. I personally jumped on the G1, but sold it on Ebay. I am not going back, the G2 in my opinion is a better device all the way around. However, this would certainly allow someone on a very tight budget to get setup with a Slacker Portable. But it is a big device to pack around.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
You just have to decide between the size difference vs price difference. I personally jumped on the G1, but sold it on Ebay. I am not going back, the G2 in my opinion is a better device all the way around. However, this would certainly allow someone on a very tight budget to get setup with a Slacker Portable. But it is a big device to pack around.

The size of the unit isn't really a big deal for me. I think I'd much rather have more stations, and it's enticing to get more stations for considerably less money, just so I can try it out. The money back guarantee is also something to consider, in case I don't like it or decide I don't really need it in addition to my XM and iPod.
Is there a home or car dock available for the G1 unit? I didn't see one on the Slacker site.

I'm really unsure on what I should do.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The size of the unit isn't really a big deal for me. I think I'd much rather have more stations, and it's enticing to get more stations for considerably less money, just so I can try it out. The money back guarantee is also something to consider, in case I don't like it or decide I don't really need it in addition to my XM and iPod.
Is there a home or car dock available for the G1 unit? I didn't see one on the Slacker site.

I'm really unsure on what I should do.

There is really only the premium case available for the G1 and of course doubtful that they will make any other accessories for it since it is no longer their primary device. There are some accessories that will work with both the G1 and G2, but of course no docks.

The cheaper cost is certainly worthy of consideration, but having had both the G1 and G2 I can tell you that I felt the same way about the size until I actually had both. However, I do understand the size thing is a personal preference more than anything, but in terms of stability and ongoing support for new features the G2 is the one to go with.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
There is really only the premium case available for the G1 and of course doubtful that they will make any other accessories for it since it is no longer their primary device. There are some accessories that will work with both the G1 and G2, but of course no docks.

The cheaper cost is certainly worthy of consideration, but having had both the G1 and G2 I can tell you that I felt the same way about the size until I actually had both. However, I do understand the size thing is a personal preference more than anything, but in terms of stability and ongoing support for new features the G2 is the one to go with.
Thanks for the input, DAB.
I've decided not to do anything at this point. I think my XM and iPod are OK for now. But I am still interested, and may decide to get one sometime in the future. I'm just checking out some of the stations online right now, and am trying to decide if it's something I will really use. It's nice to have something to be able to go to in case SiriusXM doesn't survive. However, I'm also a little wary about putting money into Slacker until I know if they are going to be around for awhile. What do you think their chances are for survival what with not having any subscription fees and just basically making money from the units themselves?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
However, I'm also a little wary about putting money into Slacker until I know if they are going to be around for awhile. What do you think their chances are for survival what with not having any subscription fees and just basically making money from the units themselves?

I really don't know the overall condition of Slacker financially, I know they are privately owned, so they aren't a publicly traded company. They appear to have very low overhead and their infrastructure is very minimal. They are making money on the advertising, sales of equipment and of course subs. I think the price change in subs to $3.99 per month has also generated a good many subs for them. I've heard rumored that they have 6 million or more registrations, but how many of those are active subs, I have no idea. Clearly the cost of maintaining their system is very low and the real cost to them is paying for the music. So, I think they are here to stay! Right now there seems to be a lot of Buzz for Slacker!

For me the $250 I have invested in equipment and subscription is minimal especially when I compare it to all the money I've sank into sat radio over the years.

jcrean

Nov 10, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
I really don't know the overall condition of Slacker financially, I know they are privately owned, so they aren't a publicly traded company. They appear to have very low overhead and their infrastructure is very minimal. They are making money on the advertising, sales of equipment and of course subs. I think the price change in subs to $3.99 per month has also generated a good many subs for them. I've heard rumored that they have 6 million or more registrations, but how many of those are active subs, I have no idea. Clearly the cost of maintaining their system is very low and the real cost to them is paying for the music. So, I think they are here to stay! Right now there seems to be a lot of Buzz for Slacker!

For me the $250 I have invested in equipment and subscription is minimal especially when I compare it to all the money I've sank into sat radio over the years.
I thought the service was free? I understand that you can sub to get no commercials, but I thought I heard somewhere that was $7.99 a month? (not $3.99)

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I thought the service was free? I understand that you can sub to get no commercials, but I thought I heard somewhere that was $7.99 a month? (not $3.99)

The service IS free, if you are willing to put up with two or three commercials an hours and have the number of songs you can skip limited to six. $3.99 gets you no ads, the ability to turn off the "This is Slacker radio" song segues, and unlimited skips. $7.99 lets you do all that, plus save some songs to your online account and player.