Dead Computer

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The first laptop computer I had lasted 5 years. All subsequent ones I've bought since then have lasted about two years, sometimes less.

I'm frustrated with the whole routine of replacing these things every two years because of motherboard issues, etc.

I'm too thrifty to spend the bucks to get a good Mac computer, so that is out.

Desktop is out, because it is impractical to my needs.

iPad looks great, but I need something more, I imagine because of all the music and pics I keep in storage.

Any advice? Is another laptop my best option?

Aaron

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Dell can't fix your issue? The only options, I can think of are:

If you deal with Microsoft Works programs, then maybe a tablet? I prefer the Asus brand, but they can be pricey.

Do the iPad, if you own one already and keep all your music, pictures and documents stored in a cloud base storage.

That all what I can think of, I don't mind desktops. I personally built mine and if I notice a problem at least I can replace it easily instead of buying these store desktops, which come with everything you don't need and crappy storage, ram, etc.

Last edited:

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
The first laptop computer I had lasted 5 years. All subsequent ones I've bought since then have lasted about two years, sometimes less.

I'm too thrifty to spend the bucks to get a good Mac computer, so that is out.

Any advice? Is another laptop my best option?

Spend the bucks on a Mac? :) I just sold a White Macbook from 2007 for $250. Still worked great. Just gave my wife my MacBook pro from 2010 that is running awesomely. Going to sell her Macbook from 2008, and should probably fetch at least $350. Overall, they hold up, and hold their re-sale value. :)

Seriously, though - if you want to go PC, probably spend a bit more money there, too. Maybe a nicer Toshiba? Not sure who's making the better hardware these days, but the Dell stuff I see coming into the helpdesk at my job seems to be crappier than ever.
If you never go mobile, maybe go with a build your own? That way you can have a bit of control over the components you use.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've never liked laptops. I've got desktops, an iPad and network storage. I keep my music and movies on the network storage, use the desktops for serious work (programming, ripping, rendering, etc.) and the iPad for everything else.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Of the PC models, Dell, Toshiba and Sony are the ones I've had some luck with. My MacBook Pro is right around 3 years old and still going.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I've had good luck with some of the higher end Sony laptops. I still have one that is 5 years old that works great. It's my backup now to my newer 2 year old Sony laptop.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I've believed for a long time that Sony is the top quality (non-Mac) brand. Dell has longevity and superior support. The rest are a mixed bunch.

FWIW I just bought my son a Dell since it was one of the last mid range laptops with Windows 7.

I'd recommend an external hard drive to back up you extensive audio and photo files. It might be easier on a 7200rpm, 500gb hard drive and less taxing on a motherboard and/or CPU.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've read a lot of good stuff about the Toshiba's. They have been pretty consistent for a while now. Not the least expensive though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Call me crazy, but I went with another Dell Inspiron. Different model than the one that had the known problem before. It was only $379.00
I'm relying more on the iPhone than the computer nowadays anyway, so I expect we'll put less use on this one... maybe last a bit longer.

Now to get used to Windows 8 :icon_eek:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Sony and Dell are the best of the Windows PC bunch. Asus is getting up there, HP and Toshiba are alright, haven't had a lot of luck with either although the HP I'm borrowing for CompTIA A+ classes is working pretty good so far. I've also got a Dell XPS that I'm using for my tear down and rebuild machine when it gets to that.

I did see Windows 8 running on some machines at school and it is slick. Haven't toyed with it yet, but they'll be offering classes for it by the end of the year. I may do that if I'm still I'm by that point.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Call me crazy, but I went with another Dell Inspiron. Different model than the one that had the known problem before. It was only $379.00
I'm relying more on the iPhone than the computer nowadays anyway, so I expect we'll put less use on this one... maybe last a bit longer.

You're crazy!;)

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Crazy :hah:

JK ;)

I have been putting off replacing the last windows PC I own (wife's laptop). Its a two year old Toshiba (paid $900 for it, screen is flickering), the next computer will be a Mac for sure, love the iMac that replaced the 2 year old HP Media Center that I had before it. I will get her a 13 inch Air with 8GB of Ram and a 256GB flash hard drive for $1399. But the way she takes care of things it will last her 4-5 years. The 12 hour battery and 3 pounds will make it the perfect laptop for her.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I have had a Toshiba for about 7 years or so and it is still kicking. It came with Vista and I upgraded to Win 7. I also upgraded the RAM to the max 3 gigs. I don't use it much, but when I need to it's there.

Macs hold their value well, have a great warranty (if you buy AppleCare), and are great overall machines IMO.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I have had a Toshiba for about 7 years or so and it is still kicking. It came with Vista and I upgraded to Win 7. I also upgraded the RAM to the max 3 gigs. I don't use it much, but when I need to it's there.

It makes a great, portable DVD player :)

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
The Dell longevity comment from a previous post was in regards to my step daughter's six year old model.

Bought my son a business type Dell for 375 two years ago with Win7 Pro since we decided Win 8 sucked. Had the dreaded E61 error message with a media failure and booting to the cd drive because the HD wasn't recognized. Swapped HD's and still get the media cable message.

My son's local community college fixes laptops for 50 up front plus parts with no additional labor costs. I'm watching vids and determining if I can take it apart to see if the ribbon cable between the HD and daughter board which controls the audio and is connected to the mother board. I've learned a media test failure can mean many things so I have another week before the spring semester begins to dabble with the innards of a laptop.

Reactions: semipenguin