Daytona 500 Predictions

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I think that it will be a Hendrick domination! That is, if they can survive.

Mark me down as being concerned. We had supposedly the best drivers on the track last night. 13 of 28 finished the race! Was it simply the format of the race and everyone trying to win the thing or are were they totally out of control? I think the latter. I saw a quote by Shrub that said that they all looked like ARCA drivers out there. I agree with that and you probably would too if you saw the ARCA race. The Bud Shootout had 8 cautions for 23 laps and was won on a caution in what turned out to be a 78 lap race. That doesn't translate well for the 500. There was an average of six green flag laps between cautions last night. That somewhat reminds me of a race I watched last year in Indiana. :eek:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I got to go to last years Daytona 500. This is as per racing-reference....:right:

2008 Daytona 500 - Racing-Reference.info

7 Cautions for 23 laps.

Cautions: Laps: 81-84 (debris), 152-155 (debris), 162-165 (#6,17 accident turn 4), 178-180 (#1,11,48 accident backstretch), 185-187 (#07 spun frontstretch), 190-192 (#8,22 accident turn 4), 196-197 (#5 accident turn 1)
You could say that the first two cautions were unnecessary.

I detest caution filled races. Last nights Shootout was just that. And it's hard to say if it's the cars or the track, or Greg Biffle...:shock:

I hope next weeks race is not going to be a caution filled joke. I think this whole no testing thing it a good idea, but they need to either slow down the field, fix the car, or fix the track...:)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Another thing that burns my biscuits about last night race. Why didn't they let the race go to the checkered flag under green? What's with the yellow flag on a last lap wreck?...:scratch:

If it was ok to race to the checkered back at the 2007 Daytona 500, why weren't they allowed to race to the checkered last night?...:right:

:)

MicEd

Oct 23, 2008
michigan
After watching last nights race i beleive that if a driver has visions of winning the 500 he better stay at or near the front of the pack. There are probably gong to be quite a few green drivers out there and that track is going to eat them up. i perdict that any driver with less that 3 races at that track is going to be a major liability.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I think they are once again going to stress the bump-draft into the corner thing. Shrub seemed to use that allot last night to move people out of the way. That aint gonna fly in the 500! It already looks wild enough without that this year. Those cars are all over the place. I believe that the track is closed to practice until Wednesday. That will be the first time that they will be testing pretty much under race conditions other than the Shootout drivers. It should be an interesting week leading up to the Duals and the 500.

Also, was it really necessary to paint an extra yellow line? Kinda silly IMO.

Maybe they can paint a white line on the right side to keep them from hitting the wall!

Last edited:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I think they are once again going to stress the bump-draft into the corner thing. Shrub seemed to use that allot last night to move people out of the way. That aint gonna fly in the 500! It already looks wild enough without that this year. Those cars are all over the place. I believe that the track is closed to practice until Wednesday. That will be the first time that they will be testing pretty much under race conditions other than the Shootout drivers. It should be an interesting week leading up to the Duals and the 500.
Oh, Please, don't get on Kyle Bush for that. Every single of of those drivers was bump drafting hard. Not just Kyle...:rolleyes:

And you have to remember, when a car pulls in front of another car, they have no where to go except to push that car that just got in front of them, otherwise they risk wrecking the entire field in front of them.

Elliott Sadler moved up in front of someone last night and took himself out. I guess he hasn't learned from his ride along the front stretch at Talladega a few years ago...:right:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Oh, Please, don't get on Kyle Bush for that. Every single of of those drivers was bump drafting hard. Not just Kyle...:rolleyes:

And you have to remember, when a car pulls in front of another car, they have no where to go except to push that car that just got in front of them, otherwise they risk wrecking the entire field in front of them.

Elliott Sadler moved up in front of someone last night and took himself out. I guess he hasn't learned from his ride along the front stretch at Talladega a few years ago...:right:
Don't take it so personal. He was a driver that I seemed to notice doing that a few times last night. I am sure that it wasn't just him. My point is that that isn't going to fly this week at Daytona. The cars are so ill handling as it is. I've seen my driver do this many times in the past and I don't like it then either!

Bump drafting in the corners also risks wrecking the entire field behind them.

Many dangerous moves including some of McMurrays blocking in the race.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Don't take it so personal. He was a driver that I seemed to notice doing that a few times last night. I am sure that it wasn't just him. My point is that that isn't going to fly this week at Daytona. The cars are so ill handling as it is. I've seen my driver do this many times in the past and I don't like it then either!

Bump drafting in the corners also risks wrecking the entire field behind them.

I know it's not personal. I agree with all the bump drafting. But what can you do? The drivers have no other way of driving these plate tracks...:worried:

Do you remember the wickerbills they used to put on top of the cars for plate races? If I remember correctly, it used to keep the cars from moving up so close to the car in front of them. The last time they used them was at the 2001 Daytona 500, and we all know how that race ended.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Must be the same officials that were at this year's Super Bowl. :rolleyes:
Apologies, I assumed when you said that about the officials and the Super Bowl, it meant that you were not happy with the calls and therefore not a Steelers fan.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Congrats to Truex and Martin! Mark sounds fired up and ready to go. I hope this is his year!

Way to go Truex. It looks like you're locked into next years Bud Shoo... Wait a second...... Ah nevermind. :eek:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
it meant that you were not happy with the calls
That is correct. I saw a lot of missed calls for both sides. I just thought it was not a very good game for the officials basically. But the game was very good.

Mark sounds fired up and ready to go
I hope he has a fantastic year....the sport needs it. Man, if he could win the championship...

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Do you remember the wickerbills they used to put on top of the cars for plate races? If I remember correctly, it used to keep the cars from moving up so close to the car in front of them. The last time they used them was at the 2001 Daytona 500, and we all know how that race ended.
It could be debated forever whether that was the cause but I also remember them being used at the 2000 Winston 500 @ Taladega, and we all know how that race ended.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
I may get lit up by a few here, but so beit. If Dale Sr wasnt blocking he would still be here today. That type of blocking is NOT racing. I understand why he did it, I just wish he hadnt. And I was a die hard 3 fan:buttrock:, so thats not coming from a hater. (or disliker)