David Poole for President!

pitpass

Feb 26, 2009
of NASCAR. Its gotta happen. France isn't making and won't make the necessary changes to keep NASCAR on top. Dates, times, tracks, length of races, rules and a few other things need to be fixed now. Only David Poole could make it happen.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
David Poole would drive this sport into the ground. What experience does he have that would qualify him to have any position @ NASCAR? Is it the ability to write NASCAR articles and report on the sport or is it the two year experience as a morning talk show host? He's good/great at both, but president of NASCAR, you have to be joking!

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
All I was doing was going along the lines with your answer here.

David Poole would drive this sport into the ground. What experience does he have that would qualify him to have any position @ NASCAR? Is it the ability to write NASCAR articles and report on the sport or is it the two year experience as a morning talk show host? He's good/great at both, but president of NASCAR, you have to be joking!

If Poole would drive the sport into the ground then all I was asking is what qualified Brian France other than his last name? Thats all.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
All I was doing was going along the lines with your answer here.

If Poole would drive the sport into the ground then all I was asking is what qualified Brian France other than his last name? Thats all.

Not flaming you, just asking. The last name is a good start to any family owned business. He does have a good resume with NASCAR which includes some of the following...

Getting the networks involved in the sport. You can't deny that this certainly helped the sport grow.

Created the chase. You may not like it. I know I don't but they had to do something to try to generate some excitement at the end of the year to somewhat compete with the NFL. They'll never beat them.

COT - You may not like it either but it is serving it's purpose and the teams are catching on to it.

Confounded the Truck Series. Best racing in NASCAR IMO.

Those are just a few things.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
There is nothing to indicate that Brian France had anything to do with creating the Truck Series. In fact I think Brian was running a short track in California into the ground while that series was being created. The only thing I can think of is Brian being involved as a promoter of some of the early races.

I give Brian a lot of credit on the business side of the sport. He is a savy business man who has done a lot for the sport corporately. There is no denying the 1st TV package being a huge success for this sport. But there is also no question that Brian has ZERO business being in charge of Nascar. The people he has put into place, the decisions those people have made, and as out of touch as he is with the fans need to be answered for.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
But there is also no question that Brian has ZERO business being in charge of Nascar. The people he has put into place, the decisions those people have made, and as out of touch as he is with the fans need to be answered for.

What are the problems with the sport as you see it? What does he need to answer for?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
There is nothing to indicate that Brian France had anything to do with creating the Truck Series. In fact I think Brian was running a short track in California into the ground while that series was being created. The only thing I can think of is Brian being involved as a promoter of some of the early races.

If you search the net you will find multiple articles in regards to this including this info......

France has been heavily involved with many of NASCAR’s recent innovations. France worked closely with NASCAR's competition department in the development of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, which debuted in 1995.

The preceding is from Brian France - NASCAR Business History

It's not like I am going to be able to provide you with some kind of certificate or anything so take this and other articles on this subject for what they are worth. Also, he certainly may have been involved as a promoter too. I don't know. He seems to have been involved in many things over the years.

I just wanted to know what he has done that is hurting this sport. Most people seem to hate the guy. I don't get it.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
My step-son was a HUGE Gordon fan in the '90's....then he got away from nascar for a while.

Now's he's getting back into it a little and the other day I was explaining the changes. When I got to the chase and how the point system works now, it took a couple of times for him to "get it".

The look on his face....when he finally understood....was too much. I about wet my pants with laughter. :hah:

The first thing he said was..."Oh, you've GOT to be kidding me".

"Nope. That's how they do it now."

Then I explained what happened to Gordon when he got all those top 5's and top 10's....what was it?.....in '07?......and didn't win the championship.

To which he said...."That's bullsh*t!!!" :bigahh:

"Who the hell's making these changes?" he asked me. :scratch:

To which I........:soapbox:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I'm not a chase fan either. I like the way it used to be. I don't like the fact that they reset the points. I feel that it has taken away the ability to compare the past to the present in this sport. All of that being said I do understand why they did what they did. It serves its purpose as do the playoffs and championships in all other sports. If NASCAR had been doing it all along, we wouldn't think twice about it now. I am not going to fault B France for implementing the chase because I think it has only helped the sport grow.

This sport goes through major changes about every 20-30 years or so. We're in the middle of that now. Think back to When Richard Petty was running 2 or 3 races a week. He ended up with 200 wins and that was only because of the way the sport was way back then. It changed to a race a week for 30 or so races and later to the 36 that we know today. A guy like Jeff Gordon doesn't have the chance to ever catch a record like that because of those changes. Jump to today's time. It's been changed again. Once again, there's no way to compare. In another 20 years or so, everyone will not even care about what we think is so important right now. This sport changes. It always has, it always will. :yesshake:

pitpass

Feb 26, 2009
OK, I'll start.

BF won't get tough with the networks to change the start times, the late start times are one of the reasons for the slide in ratings.

BF won't let teams have a real front suspension so the cars can race better.

BF won't allow Tire Pressure monitoring systems in the cars.

BF won't do anything about some of the race distances that are too long. Pocono for starters.

BF won't do anything to rid Martinsville, Pocono and California of one of their races.

BF won't do what he can to get a track built in the Northeast.

more later, dinner is ready.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
BF won't do anything to rid Martinsville of one of their races.

from of the looks of things it looks like your not a minute to late.

are you out of your ever freakin mind??? martinsville in no way needs to lose a race. actually, one or both of their races need to be under lights.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
OK, I'll start.

BF won't get tough with the networks to change the start times, the late start times are one of the reasons for the slide in ratings.

BF won't let teams have a real front suspension so the cars can race better.

BF won't allow Tire Pressure monitoring systems in the cars.

BF won't do anything about some of the race distances that are too long. Pocono for starters.

BF won't do anything to rid Martinsville, Pocono and California of one of their races.

BF won't do what he can to get a track built in the Northeast.

Please, send me the link to the article that shows that ratings are down because of the start times. I wouldn't argue that ratings are down compared to years gone by but so are the NFL's, MLB's. NHL's & NBA's. Do a quick search and you'll see numerous articles that give you numbers on any of these sports. Do a search on NASCAR ratings down because of start times and you'll find all kinds of opinion articles. You know what they say about opinions & here's mine. I think that the seasons are to long. People loose interest. As with most things, produce less of something & you create more demand. But then again, this is just my opinion. I can't send you a link to back up my theory on this.

I think the cars race fine. You don't. Arguing about this would be wasting everyone's time.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I don't know where I've been. I had never heard that argument before. I guess I am not quite sure why they'd need it. They can already feel when they have a tire going down. If they have a blowout, it isn't going to do anything for them.

Race distances that are to long. I'm a guy that has been going to Dover for a long, long time. I've sat through many of the 500 mile races there and loved it. I hated that they shortened that race. For me there are no races that are to long. Heck, I even watch the 24 hours at Daytona & I'd love to see NASCAR try something like that.

Martinsville! Are you kidding me? If you wanted to build a Sister track, just like Martinsville, and move one of the races there, I'll go for that. Are you kidding me? Seriously, I wouldn't care if each track only had one race and they expanded to some other cities.

Building a track in the northeast. I know that they tried/failed to get something going near New York. I don't have information on any of their meetings but I'd imagine that they are still trying to get in that market. Other than that, where do they even need another track in the northeast?

There will be all kinds of people on this board that disagree with some or all of what I've posted and that's fine. Flame away! NASCAR is a different sport than all of the other major sports. It was created by the France Family, owned by the France Family, & run by the France Family. That's the way it is until someone or group of somebody's creates an alternative to what we have now. I think that if or once this NASCAR thing quits working, you'll see that happen. As for now, I'm still watching. :yesshake:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008

Wow......

Martinsville is just what nascar NEEDS. Short tracks. It would be another blow for the worse to take away a race from there.

But I'm with you on Pocono and Cali.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i dunno, but if they do it needs to be used to squash that goofy idea of pitpass's.

and btw, dover needs lights! i went to the 99 race where kenseth made his cup debut by filling in for bill elliott and ended up finishing 6th that day.