Davey Allison

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
This story brings up a ton of memories and mixed emotions for me. Way back in the 80's as a teenager i drove to school in a 1967 Buick Lesabre convertible that my father bought for me and the we both spent many hours restoring. The Buick connection made me an instant Bobby Allison fan. My father and I drove that Buick to Charlotte and watched Bobby race there while wearing full bobby regalia. At the same time my father owned a small pest control business and one of his customers was the helicopter instructor that trained Davey at the Mt. Airy NC airport that Davey went to for his helicopter training. Needless to say it was a very sad day there for many people when Davey died on that fateful day. I knew the instructor that trained Davey. He was a former military heli pilot. I haven't thought of him in many years until reading this story and wonder what he is doing now. I just looked at my Davey Allison Texaco collection of Texaco trading cards and die cast cars and only have to think what if. Great story none the less. Man i'm getting old fast.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I remember watching the 1988 Daytona 500 and wanting Davey to bet his dad so bad.

I didn't keep up much with the 1993 season. I had gotten married the year before and most sports I used to follow kinda fell by the way side. It seemed I didn't have time to mourn Davey and Allen that year :worried:

I think Davey would have been my favorite driver had I followed the sport more. From late 1990 (around the time the Desert Shield started) until 1998 I couldn't follow the sport like I do now.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for posting pt2 dp.

That was a tough year. Allen was my driver.