• Sink

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Float

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
GoDaddy.com reports that Go Daddy Girl Danica Patrick reveals her NASCAR future on the GoDaddy.com site on Dec. 8, 11:00am MT / 1:00 pm ET

She's about do dominate the airwaves and print media even more but will this ship sink or float?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I voted no but then got to thinking, what to you mean? Performance wise? Then yes I think she'll sink. If you mean sponsorship and air time? Then she'll float for a couple years at least.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Simple, success or failure. How ever you measure that is totally up to you. I can't define everyone's idea of what constitutes success or failure.

I tend to agree with you though..... I don't think that she's ever going to be a top contender but I think her name alone will bring people to the sport. She's already popular so this kind of move will generate a lot of attention. In that way I think she will be a success.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Well I personally like to measure success in on track performance but I'm not silly enough to actually believe that thats how things actually always work in the real world

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think it's half and half....good and bad for the sport. I really wish she wasn't sponsored by GoDaddy. I mean, I can't turn on my TV without seeing something to do with sex come up within 15 minutes.

Yeah, I know sex sells (to the masses). But sex is pushed so much now already and now I'm sure we'll be seeing all kinds of new nascar-related GoDaddy commercials. So nascar will join all the other sports in the risky ads.

I guess I really am getting old...I just wish I could sit down and watch sports with my grandparents or grandchildren without boobs and butts on the screen every 10 minutes.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Patrick signs with JR Motorsports

IndyCar Series star Danica Patrick made official on Tuesday plans to drive a partial Nationwide Series schedule for JR Motorsports in 2010.

Now comes the hard part.

Patrick will begin her quest to make the transition from open wheel cars to stock cars at an ARCA Series test at Daytona International Speedway on Dec. 18-20. It is an experiment that NASCAR welcomes because of the intense attention the 27-year-old driver will bring to the male-dominated sport.

It is a decision that some have been skeptical of since Patrick made public her intentions.

"She should stay where she is," Janet Guthrie, the first woman to reach the top level of open wheel racing and NASCAR in the 1970s, told the New York Times earlier this year. "She is in the best possible situation in the IRL, in the catbird seat with one of the few teams [Andretti Autosport] that is capable of winning."

Regardless, Patrick is excited about the new venture that will have her in a No. 7 -- her number in IndyCar -- Chevrolet sponsored by GoDaddy.com for about a dozen Nationwide races. She signed a two-year deal.

The IndyCar sensation unveiled her green and orange No. 7 Chevrolet at Phoenix's Chase Field on Tuesday.

"We've all been working very hard for some time now to bring this all together," Patrick said at the news conference. "There's much relief there, but I'm starting to get a little bit nervous that now it's time to do my part of the deal and get out there in these cars and perform. It's no doubt going to be challenging."

The plan is to enter Patrick in the ARCA opener in February at Daytona and get approval by NASCAR for the Nationwide opener. An exact number of races weren't given, but sources said it will be around 12.

The GoDaddy.com sponsorship will be on the JRM car only for the races in which Patrick drives, sources said. JRM officials continue to look for sponsorship for the No. 88 that will be driven by Kelly Bires and any remaining races for the No. 7 car.

Patrick will bring much-needed publicity to a sport with sagging attendance and television ratings. According to the Davie Brown Index that measures a celebrity's ability to influence brand affinity and consumer purchase intent Patrick ranks tied for third in NASCAR with seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty behind Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. In terms of appeal -- or consumer likeability -- she ranks second only to Petty.

Patrick's biggest challenge will be on the track.

"Danica, I think she's got the talent and everything but I don't think she knows what she's getting into," Juan Pablo Montoya said in September.

Montoya understands the difficulties of the transition better than most. The former Indianapolis 500 champion left Formula One three years ago to pursue a career in the Sprint Cup series.

A driver with far better credentials than Patrick, who has one win and finished no better than fifth in points, Montoya ranked 20th in points as a rookie and 25th a year ago before making the Chase this season. He still hasn't won on an oval track.

"They're so different to drive," said Montoya, explaining the difference between a stock car and Indy car. "It's not the same feeling."

JR Motorsports co-owner Kelley Earnhardt said, "She's got to get in there and get used to the cars. Hopefully, everybody will remember that and won't be so quick to judge, which is easy to do."

Montoya said trying to compete in IndyCar and the Nationwide Series at the same time will make the transition even more difficult.

"I wouldn't be doing both cars, to be honest with you," he said. "That's my advice."

Team owner Jack Roush agreed, telling reporters last month if Patrick wants to come to NASCAR she should do it "with all her heart and soul and commitment," not on a part-time basis.

Others suggest patience will be the key to whether Patrick succeeds or not.

"It will take time no matter how good someone is," Carl Edwards recently said. "Coming from another discipline to this, that's a huge step."

Patrick's ultimate goal, if she succeeds in Nationwide, appears to be a career in the Sprint Cup series as soon as the new three-year deal she has with Andretti Autosport expires in 2012.

There has been speculation that Patrick might be a future replacement for 50-year-old Mark Martin in the No. 5 sponsored by GoDaddy.com at Hendrick Motorsports. Team owner Rick Hendrick co-owns JR Motorsports with Earnhardt and his sister, Kelley.

But for now the focus is on getting prepared for Daytona.

Danica Patrick inks deal to drive for JR Motorsports - ESPN

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
She's won only one race in the IRL (last time I checked), and everybody else that has tried recently has failed, with the possible exception of JPM. She's going to sink:thumbsdown:

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
One word answer to describe this whole media hysteria

whoop-dee-f'ing-doo

besides she can't even finish top ten in the IRL when there are only 20 cars in the race

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
She's won only one race in the IRL (last time I checked), and everybody else that has tried recently has failed, with the possible exception of JPM. She's going to sink:thumbsdown:

Sam Hornish is making it, AJ is making it..... I know it doesn't mean she will, but just adding them to your one.

djb7272

Jan 3, 2009
One word answer to describe this whole media hysteria

whoop-dee-f'ing-doo

besides she can't even finish top ten in the IRL when there are only 20 cars in the race

Well I hate to burst your bubble but obviousley you don't know your facts she finished 5 th in points ahead of Tony Kanaan,Graham Rahal,Marco Andretti,Justin Wilson,Dan Wheldon and everyone else in the IRL I am not saying she is great but she has finished 12th in 2005,9th in 2006,7th in 2007,6th in 2008 and 5th in 2009 that at least is an improvement throughout her career. Is she Sam Hornish or JPM ---NO but she can't be a complete slouch to finish in the top 5 in points against some good competition. Will she run top5,10,20 I don't know and neither do any of you. I say give her a chance and see what she can do before you bash her just because she is a woman or you think she did not earn the ride. She might succeed she might fail but hasn't there been many male supposedly talented drivers that have failed also???????

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
well of the7 or 8 races I watched this year in the IRL, she finished either 8th or worse. I guess I should have said she could hardly finish in the top ten, but hey she did lead a lap at the Indy 500 in 2005.

Sam Hornish Jr is a 3 time IRL champion, and AJ Allmendinger was at least winning races in the CART series before he made the jump to NASCAR

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
They've done decent on occasion, but where are they in points and wins? Not too hot...

Not too hot but not too bad that's for sure. AJ finished 24th in points and Sam was 28th.. Not bad at all for the pair of them compared to the others that have been in Nascar alot longer then them wouldn't ya say.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Not too hot but not too bad that's for sure. AJ finished 24th in points and Sam was 28th.. Not bad at all for the pair of them compared to the others that have been in Nascar alot longer then them wouldn't ya say.

People Who Are Not Doing Better Than Sam Hornish Jr.:

29 -- Reed Sorenson
30 -- Bobby Labonte
31 -- Paul Menard
32 -- David Stremme
33 -- Michael Waltrip
34 -- Robby Gordon
35 -- Scott Speed

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
People Who Are Not Doing Better Than Sam Hornish Jr.:

29 -- Reed Sorenson
30 -- Bobby Labonte
31 -- Paul Menard
32 -- David Stremme
33 -- Michael Waltrip
34 -- Robby Gordon
35 -- Scott Speed

Your point being? Seriously 6 of them have been in the sport longer and should be doing better then they are.