Danica Negotiating To Drive For Ganassi?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Two weeks ago, I'd bet my house against it. Now :scratch:

Every time that she's in contract negotiations this same thing comes up. Do you think that it's real this time? Or, is it the same old crap?

What do ya think? Good or Bad for NASCAR.

Chip Ganassi loves to shock the racing world, as he did by snatching Juan Montoya out of Formula One and bringing him to NASCAR three years ago.

But Ganassi is supposedly working on a deal at the moment that would not only keep open wheel racing's biggest name away from the clutches of NASCAR, it would likely advance her ascention in Indy cars.
Danica's managers are working behind the scenes to move IndyCar's most popular driver to one of the top two teams in the Series for 2010. (LAT) » More Photos

And the 'ol Chipster would be a hero in the IndyCar marketing, public relations and promotions departments.

SPEEDTV.com has learned that Ganassi is considering signing Danica Patrick for a third car on the Target team for 2010, joining Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti.

International Management Group, which now represents Patrick in addition to Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning, is known for brokering major deals and supposedly has a Fortune 500 company lined up to partner with the only woman to ever win an Indy car race and Target/Ganassi Racing.

Ganassi didn't return phone calls Wednesday but his veteran lieutenant acknowledged adding a car for Patrick could be possible.

"We've always entertained having a third driver if we could get the comparable funding that Target provides us," said Mike Hull, managing director of Target/Ganassi. "If Danica has something and wants to talk to us, that would be great because I think she's ready to take that next step.

"But I can tell you we haven't spoken to her."

Hull is no doubt telling the truth since IMG agent Alan Zucker would be doing the talking and negotiating for the 27-year-old dynamo who currently represents Go Daddy.com, Peak, Boost Mobile and Secret in national television commercials.

Zucker, who also makes deals for clients Eli and Peyton Manning, could not be reached for comment via email on Wednesday.

Patrick's three-year contract with Andretti-Green Racing, which was sponsored by Motorola to the tune of $21 million, expires at the end of this season.

IndyCar lost three-time champ Sam Hornish Jr. to NASCAR in 2008, while open wheel stars Jacques
Click Here!
Villenueve, Paul Tracy, Patrick Carpentier, Scott Speed, A.J. Allmendinger and Franchitti have all tried stock cars during the past couple years. Hornish and Allmendinger are having the most success.

Recently, Patrick expressed her renewed desire to win the Indy 500 (she ran third last month), which she led in 2005, and a championship (she's currently fifth in the point standings). Based on the past two years, her best chances for either or both of those goals would be driving for Roger Penske or Ganassi.

And, if she wanted to test the waters in NASCAR down the road, Ganassi could slide her right into one of his seats on the team he shares with Teresa Earnhardt.

It was rumored earlier that Dixon could be heading for a new team in 2010 (Gil de Ferran) but the two-time IRL champion still has two years on his deal with Ganassi. Franchitti is also believed to be ready for a new contract that would see him return to TCGR in 2010.

Former Indy Lights champ Alex Lloyd, who was signed by Ganassi in 2008, announced Wednesday he was leaving the team to pursue other opportunities. Lloyd's only two drives the past two years have come at the Indy 500 in a satellite team funded by Ganassi.

AUTO-RACING - INDYCAR: Danica Negotiating To Drive For Ganassi? - SPEEDtv.com

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
That's too bad. I was hoping she'd come to NASCAR and drive for The Coach :worried:

Oh well. So much for ever getting to seeing her race live. I have no plans of ever going to a stand alone IRL race :right:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
:deadhorse:

Come, or don't come. Don't lay on the fence. But really, every driver that's been through Ganassi has left, so what would make her any different? Only JPM has stayed more than a couple of years...

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
UPDATE: Danica Patrick will be in NASCAR next season. If NASCAR executives can pull it off. George Pyne -- the former NASCAR Chief Operating Officer, and thus one of the top officials in stock car racing, and now head of IMG sports and entertainment, the high-buck talent marketing agency – and key NASCAR executives are together working the entire Sprint Cup garage trying to put together a package for Patrick to run NASCAR next season. Finding sponsorship is quite likely not the big issue, as hot a property as Danica Patrick is.

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
She can make so much more duckett in NASCAR than she ever could in the IRL :D

I hope she does it. I hope she makes the jump :)
Posted via Mobile Device

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
If she jumps, you may as well call it the death of the IRL

Or it might be a good thing for the IRL. I don't know..

As for nascar...now when can maybe see a running match between Kyle and Danica....off the track! :p

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA

I don't know how that would be the case. I would have thought that she would be one of their most recognizable drivers outside of Helio Castroneves. Yes, I know that there are other names in the sport but there are probably a number of people that know Helio only because of Dancing With The Stars. As far as Danica goes, I see that she is fifth in points in the IRL. I think that wouldn't be a good thing for the IRL if she were to leave.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well, I know I'm not the only one who stays away from the IRL BECAUSE of Danica.

(that is, IF I were to watch the IRL in the first place....:rolleyes: )

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
If she jumps, you may as well call it the death of the IRL

EXACTLY, go to indycar.com they all or most all hate her over there. But what their to stupid to realize is without her that series is D.O.N.E. The IRL will play heck ever getting a TV contract again, they will be like Hockey on the Versus channel that nobody watches. You think ESPN/ ABC is gonna pony up the big bucks without Danica? No Way. NASCAR has got to be licking their chops at the thought of getting her over here, marketing dream. She won't have to win races in NASCAR to be successful, she'll just need to run top 15 and she'll make a boat load as well as NASCAR.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute

As for nascar...now when can maybe see a running match between Kyle and Danica....off the track! :p

Yeah...he runs like a girl, and she tries not to. Would she strip off her shirt in mid-stride like he did in Kentucky last week??

:eek:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I'm starting to think that from now on anyone that creates a thread should entitle it something like this as example.....

NASCAR increases restrictor plate size and Kyle Busch discussion.

or

NASCAR implements double file restarts and Kyle Busch discussion.

That way we never stray off topic. :Smiley_wink:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'm starting to think that from now on anyone that creates a thread should entitle it something like this as example.....

NASCAR increases restrictor plate size and Kyle Busch discussion.

or

NASCAR implements double file restarts and Kyle Busch discussion.

That way we never stray off topic. :Smiley_wink:

We could just change the forum name to "NASCAR and Kyle Busch discussion"?