Cup driver fails drug test.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
Well I will wait and see what happens. They are working on getting his whole thing straightened out and he said it was prescription mixed with over the counter meds, so with that being said, weather he is being honest or not, I am going to wait til it is all settled before bashing the guy.

One would think that nascar covered their ass before they "slandered" the guy. Everyone that has failed and got suspended had an excuse. I haven't heard one just say "oops" and disappear as they should. He was a loser before this, he burned almost every bridge he had crossed in nascar.

On another note, one site reported that he wasnt allowed back even as the owner. So if "sells" out or transfers it to his wife's name, will they keep the points?

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
But why make it public? Nascar has a list of banned substances, someone tested positive for something on the list. Wouldn't it be more useful to publish the list of banned substances instead?

I agree, the only thing that will accomplish is give SOME people a way to say, oh it was only weed, or it was only meth!!!!
I don't need to know what it was, only that nascar gives them the boot!!!:buttrock:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
After this I don't why anyone would work with him again. I mean really, no matter how much you want to get into nascar, why would you risk working with him? But that's just me maybe.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
One would think that nascar covered their ass before they "slandered" the guy. Everyone that has failed and got suspended had an excuse. I haven't heard one just say "oops" and disappear as they should. He was a loser before this, he burned almost every bridge he had crossed in nascar.

On another note, one site reported that he wasnt allowed back even as the owner. So if "sells" out or transfers it to his wife's name, will they keep the points?

Yes agreed Nascar would cover it's ass but it has been reported that it IS being looked into with the doctors and such.... Everyone is Human, everyone makes mistakes Nascar can make mistakes we have all seen it.

I don't know Mayfield personally, I have not been a fan of his nor have I watched him closely over the years in the sport and out of it so I am not going to go start name calling him...

I am not sticking up for Mayfield or anything like that, all I am saying is "I" am going to wait and see what happens from here. News breaks out over something to do with Nascar and all s**t hits the fan everywhere in the media and all of a sudden things will calm down and we will see what happens with the whole situation.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont think Nascar needs to publish anything regarding a list or what these guys tested positive for. Would I like to know? Sure, but I also understand the need for confidentiality.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Im listening to The Back Stretch right now, these 2 guys are so out to lunch its disgusting. There debating weather Mayfields suspension is warranted given that it could have been a perscribed medication. Does anybody in the sport actually buy his story? Does anybody believe that Nascar didnt do their homework before handing down their suspension? THis guy is like, "what if Claritin gives out samples and guys in Nascar take it, suddenly there suspended." And now Jerry is talking about stuff that a person may have taken something 3 months ago. Drugs dont stay in your system that long. Cocaine for example can stay in your system as little as 7 days and up to 3 weeks depends on level of use.

If I had to predict what he took, and if his story of over the counter medication and perscription medication is true, then I think he was taking pain killers and then took Sudafed with pseudoephedrine.

But listen people, drug tests can identitfy specifics. They know if there snorting coke or taking an antihistamine. They can break down drug classes to such specifics that there would be no doubt.

Last edited:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act prevents anyone from disclosing what he tested positive for. Title IV is a safeguard ensuring the protection of privacy for your medical information. It would be illegal for them to disclose this information.

Someone will eventually leak the information, they always do.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
From Jayski.....

NASCAR disputes Mayfield's 'allergy' claim: #41-Jeremy Mayfield's assertion that use of two allergy medicines led him to run afoul of the series' drug policy is not plausible, the person charged with running the program told USA TODAY. "What we have is a clear violation of policy," said David Black, whose Tennessee-based Aegis Labs conducts NASCAR's random testing program. "In my many years of experience, I have never seen a violation like this due to the combination of over-the-counter or prescription products." Black, citing NASCAR policy, declined to specify what caused Mayfield to test positive, saying it was "a drug of concern." NASCAR announced before Saturday's race at Darlington Raceway that Mayfield [see story below] — the first driver tagged under the series' first-year mandatory testing program — had been suspended indefinitely. Mayfield couldn't be reached for comment Sunday. His agent, Bobby Wooten, said Mayfield was taking allergy medicine when the urine samples were collected at Richmond International Raceway a week ago. The series doesn't have a set list of banned substances, although drivers were warned before the start of the season that they would be screened for steroids, amphetamines and recreational drugs. Black said "there's no way a driver would be in violation" for using common cold and allergy medications as directed. "It's very unfortunate for the sport, for Jeremy, for everybody, because it definitely puts a black eye on (the sport)," four-time Cup champ Jeff Gordon said. Mayfield must complete a treatment program before he's allowed to return to racing. "If that program is successfully completed, then the competitor may attempt to seek reinstatement," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said in an e-mail. One of Mayfield's crewmembers, Paul Chodora, was the first violator of NASCAR's testing program in February. Mayfield said in a statement at the time that his team endorsed NASCAR's "policing efforts as it makes the sport stronger overall." Wooten said Chodora is no longer with the team. (5-11-2009)

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

Snafam

Oct 31, 2008
"Steroids, amphetamines and recreational drugs" is a larger description of 'banned substances' than the list of banned stuff I got from my employer. In fact, I have NO description except for the words 'controlled substance.' I am subject to random testing several times a year.

I think most of us know what is illegal. And Dr. Black's statement about using allergy medicine "as directed' sums it up. When you have to sign away your life to buy Sudafed and anything else with pseudoephedrine, you know there is an issue with it. Some may not remember this, but the reason pseudoephedrine was pulled from easy access just a few years ago, is that large quantities were being purchased to 'cook' and make into meth.

And, from what I understand, taking an OTC as prescribed will not trigger the threshold levels in a drug test.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act prevents anyone from disclosing what he tested positive for. Title IV is a safeguard ensuring the protection of privacy for your medical information. It would be illegal for them to disclose this information.

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"And, from what I understand, taking an OTC as prescribed will not trigger the threshold levels in a drug test. "

Snafam that is dead on. There is such a misunderstanding regarding drug testing and a lot of people think if they say this or that they can dispute the claim. YOu cannot fail a drug test taking an antihistamine. You cannot fail a drug test by dipping your fingers in a vat of cocaine. You cannot fail a drug test by being around drugs. You fail drug tests by taking, ingesting, and digesting substances perscriberd or not.

Just because Oxycontin, Percocets, Vicodans are perscribed substances doesnt mean they arent banned substances in any work place. You couple that with some Tylenol 1's or Gravol and you can get quite the medication high.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Just because Oxycontin, Percocets, Vicodans are perscribed substances doesnt mean they arent banned substances in any work place. You couple that with some Tylenol 1's or Gravol and you can get quite the medication high.

That almost sounds like experience talking. :rolleyes:

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here

I had a random drug test a week after going to a rolling stones concert. There was a lot of "rolling" going on around me. I love my job and did NOT partake. Was a bit nervous but passed the random drug test. And when i say "a lot" i mean it, there was a green fog above the crowd.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
You cannot fail a drug test by being around drugs.

Not sure about that. Smoke gets into your system.

You cannot fail a drug test by dipping your fingers in a vat of cocaine.

some drug test involve taking hair and/or nail samples, I've heard.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah it is. But not the kind your implying.

"some drug test involve taking hair and/or nail samples, I've heard."

Thats probably true, but I doubt thats the case in this instance. As far as ingesting second hand marijana smoke. You need a lot of that to get high let alone failing a drug test. Being at a concert wont do the trick unless your actually puffing on the blunt.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Being at a concert wont do the trick unless your actually puffing on the blunt.

Or if it's an open air place or a big stadium or a small club. I don't go anywhere near the stuff anymore for fear of the simple possibility of it getting into my system.