Cord Cutters

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
HBO Max is by far my most used new streaming service. It's pricey at $15/month but worth it. I'm currently jumping back into GoT. Also I'm looking forward to checking out that new Denzel movie that came out yesterday. Too bad they don't offer 4K yet like the other, cheaper services (Disney+, Hulu etc).

I set a reminder on my phone to cancel it next month.

Way to go phone reminder! Just canceled Peacock premium.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Fortunately, we get HBO Max for free as part of our cable package.
I expect that at some point, they will try to screw us and start charging for it. We'll probably cancel if that happens.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I've watched Conan since he started hosting "Late Night" almost 30 years ago, but I can't justify paying $15 a month once he moves to HBOMax later this year. They will be getting my $15 for 1 month when "Godzilla -vs- Kong" comes out in a couple months, though.

MonoStereo

May 12, 2020
Kansas City
I forgot Conan is moving to Max. As long as I'm not paying the $15, I'll watch.
It's gonna be interesting how it all plays out...it was announced as a "variety" show, but I dunno what that means in this context.

And I listen to & read people that work on the show via podcasts & Twitter, & they're pretty much all "we dunno what the hell is gonna happen".

Reactions: HecticArt

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I get HBO Max as part of my internet subscription. I see no line item on my bill for HBO Max. It's included. :). (Getting HBO On Demand and HBO TV channels included is also nice.)

A few years ago, I did "buy 2 years of Disney+ and get a year free." I then took advantage of a Verizon offer to go to unlimited data. This put my Disney+ on hold for one year, giving me two years free.

I paid for a year of Peacock, hoping to be able to watch the late-night shows early, not have to DVR NBC shows and watch the soccer stuff. So far, so good, except the pandemic has made it so I can't watch the late night shows early.

I just wish Netflix would introduce a long-term option to save customer money. Obviously, they don't care, since I'm sure a lot of people sign up as a show is released. They'll pay for one month and binge that show.

Reactions: HecticArt and Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I know this isn't TV, but we are talking about our various subscription services so I'm wondering, have any of you supported a Patreon before?

I signed up for my first one 2 days ago. My favorite podcast, The After Disaster, is going behind a paywall this month so I decided to support them. It's only $5/month or $54/year so I bought a year so I don't have to worry about another monthly payment.

The show is basically 3 guys from the LA area who are in the entertainment business for their day jobs and they talk about whatever. There are often inappropriate topics and jokes on the show and that's a big part of why I like it. They already had a Patreon for bonus content but now the whole show is only available to Patreon supporters. I've been listening to the show for 10+ years now so to me they are well worth $54 for a year.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I know this isn't TV, but we are talking about our various subscription services so I'm wondering, have any of you supported a Patreon before?

I signed up for my first one 2 days ago. My favorite podcast, The After Disaster, is going behind a paywall this month so I decided to support them. It's only $5/month or $54/year so I bought a year so I don't have to worry about another monthly payment.

The show is basically 3 guys from the LA area who are in the entertainment business for their day jobs and they talk about whatever. There are often inappropriate topics and jokes on the show and that's a big part of why I like it. They already had a Patreon for bonus content but now the whole show is only available to Patreon supporters. I've been listening to the show for 10+ years now so to me they are well worth $54 for a year.
My favorite blog, The West Virginia Surf Report, now has a podcast too. It's like $2/month on Patreon.

Reactions: JHDK

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I learned the hard way. I cancelled my HBO Max subscription (my discount ended) and tried to use an old unused HBO Now Gift Card to pay for my HBO Max. But all I get now on the HBO Max site is content to original HBO Now. It expires in late June then I will sign up again for HBO Max.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I've watched Conan since he started hosting "Late Night" almost 30 years ago, but I can't justify paying $15 a month once he moves to HBOMax later this year. They will be getting my $15 for 1 month when "Godzilla -vs- Kong" comes out in a couple months, though.
Cheaper to watch Jon Stewart's new show on Apple TV+ (August I think). $4.99 a month. Although you have to figure they'll be raising the price at some point.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I learned the hard way. I cancelled my HBO Max subscription (my discount ended) and tried to use an old unused HBO Now Gift Card to pay for my HBO Max. But all I get now on the HBO Max site is content to original HBO Now. It expires in late June then I will sign up again for HBO Max.

Of all the sites I subscribed to since getting my new-ish TV, HBO Max is by far the one I use the most. I find the content they have is well worth the premium price.

Reactions: HecticArt