Cord Cutters

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have that year of Apple TV+ when I bought my iPhone. And I got a year of Disney+ when I upgraded to unlimited with Verizon. I have yet to watch much of anything since I've been in school full time, working full time and other obligations. I would like to see the Morning Show since Jennifer Aniston is still a stone-cold fox!

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I got a year of Apple TV with my new phone.

I have that year of Apple TV+ when I bought my iPhone. And I got a year of Disney+ when I upgraded to unlimited with Verizon.

I didn't get any deals like that but with all my streaming services I like to try to avoid monthly payments. Now Disney+ lets you buy a year up front. However I initially signed up for the Hulu, DIsney+ & ESPN+ package so I paid the first month. I have since switched to Hulu no ads alone and my paid month of Disney+ runs out on 12.4. I then plan to buy the year for $60 something.

To avoid the monthly payments with the other services I buy myself gift cards. I currently am good with Hulu until April and good with Netflix until March.

SInce I use Metro for my phone service I do something similar there too. It's a flat $50/month so I pay 6 months at once.

IDK, I guess I just like not having to worry about any of that stuff each month.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The catch with all these deals, is when they run out, you're hooked on the shows, so you pay full price to keep the service. How do you avoid that?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
The catch with all these deals, is when they run out, you're hooked on the shows, so you pay full price to keep the service. How do you avoid that?

Ha! You're so right. At first I was thinking there is no way I'll pay for HBO Max after the trial and just a few hours later I now have a pretty solid list of things I want to watch on it. Yesterday I watched e01 of Doom Patrol which kinda sucked but then saw Million Dollar Baby and started some silly space comedy TV show called Avenue 5 that I want to see through.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
tenor.gif

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We just got our Max account set up, it's free with our cable package, but our TV is old enough the app won't work.
I'm still working on that. Our TV is 10 years old, so it may be getting replaced.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We just got our Max account set up, it's free with our cable package, but our TV is old enough the app won't work.
I'm still working on that. Our TV is 10 years old, so it may be getting replaced.
Our TV is more than 10 years old (I think). It had a smart TV dongle (there's that word again), and when I changed my setup in the house, where the router was not right under the TV, it no longer worked. So we just bought an Amazon Fire TV stick.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
They are all good deals if you use them. I use the at least 6 views a month policy

That's really smart. I need to institute that policy. I listed all my services in an earlier post but most of them are new starting in November. I've gone crazy w/streaming services since I bought the Vizio. On top of the Netflix and Amazon and Peacock I already had, I added:

Disney+
HBO Max
Hulu
Starz

I think I've had mine long enough now that the honeymoon period has ended (and I'm still wowed by 4K). So I would recommend Vizio. They are relatively cheap and you can get models that have amazing (certainly nowhere near the 100% best) picture quality and smart features.

Reactions: HecticArt

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
There's a 55" Samsung that I'm eyeballing.
I need to do some more research.

I love my Vizio but Samsung is better than Vizio, just straight up facts. Post a link to the model. I am well versed in TV specs these days.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is the one I got.
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55"-...n-plan-bundle-included.product.100649166.html
I wanted adaptive backlit, but nobody had one locally in stock.
The 50” - 55” size range made it a little tougher to find one. Our living room isn’t big enough for a larger screen, and I didn’t really want to spend more than $1500 on something that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
They are supposed to drop it off Friday. I’ll probably waste most of the weekend trying to get it set up.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
This is the one I got.
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55"-class---q7dt-series---4k-uhd-qled-lcd-tv---allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100649166.html
The 50” - 55” size range made it a little tougher to find one. Our living room isn’t big enough for a larger screen, and I didn’t really want to spend more than $1500 on something that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
They are supposed to drop it off Friday. I’ll probably waste most of the weekend trying to get it set up.
Plus your Samsung should have the option to install HBO Max

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This is the one I got.
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55"-class---q7dt-series---4k-uhd-qled-lcd-tv---allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100649166.html
Unfortunately, the only way for me to step-up from my Panasonic plasma is with an OLED, and the 65" LG is $2,100. I've got other things to spend my money on.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Plus your Samsung should have the option to install HBO Max
It should. Costco has their own version of the same models that you find in other stores. It’s the same model number but they swap one letter for their product. When Sears used to do that, they had their own (probably cheaper) parts installed. I wouldn’t think there would be any changes that would involve the ability to load specific apps.
Unfortunately, the only way for me to step-up from my Panasonic plasma is with an OLED, and the 65" LG is $2,100. I've got other things to spend my money on.
Pretty much my thoughts for my situation. OLED, and certainly other improvements in LED sets, are better screens than what I bought, but I don’t really see that much more priority to the perceived value / cost analysis for me. I’m going from a 10 year old standard HD screen to this. The old one isn’t really bad, and this should be a noticeable improvement, so I should be good for 5 or 6 years unless we move to a bigger house.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I got my Samsung at Target back in May and the HBO Max was pre installed. I signed for HBO Max pre launch for the discount not knowing that an agreement had not been reached with Roku, so I had to scramble to find a good new Samsung set since I heard new Samsung's would carry HBO Max. I was due for a new TV too. The pictures these days are really amazing. Everything looks live even movies and tv shows

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK