Cord Cutters

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I been thinking of joining the cord cutting revolution for years, but unfortunately there hasn't been much companies and tv channel offers. But within the past year, there are now quite a few companies offering some great deals. So I been doing my research for the past couple of months and couple days ago, I officially drop satellite and I'm officially a cord cutter.

I watch quite a few tv shows, but I only watch about a dozen tv networks which are; ABC, AMC, CBS, CW, Discovery, Food Network, Fox, FX, FXX, NBC, SyFy, TBS, TNT, Travel Channel, Tru TV and USA.

The main companies that off internet tv are DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, Sling and YouTube TV and coming soon Hulu TV. Sling and YouTube offers the worst lineup and DirecTV, Playstation has the best channel offers.

I haven't tried Playstation free trial yet and they offer a tv package for $30 and I'm currently on DirecTV Now free trail and it alright, they supplely say they off live local feeds and I only get Fox. I have to get onto NBC and ABC on demand to watch there shows. DirecTV package stars at $35 and if you are a AT&T customer, they offer HBO free with there unlimited data plan. I get a temporary credit of $25 bucks being a Now customer, I don't know how long that deal real last. So I'm only paying $10 dollars a month, so that why I choose DirecTV Now. Plus I'm binge watching Game of Thrones during the free trail, when I'm done. I'll possibly cancel DirecTV and try out Vue later this month.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadisonRadio1

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I just wish CBS would drop there all access monthly plan and join ABC, NBC and Fox. The only show on CBS I watch is The Big Bang Theory, but I can wait till the new episodes air on TBS usually at end of the season.

There couple channels that DirecTV Now doesn't offer, so I'm partially cheating. I have a family member that letting me use there access info, so I'm still watching some shows of those network apps on my Apple TV.

Also I do enjoy watching some sports, but I don't majorly get into them, so I won't miss watching some of the games and I do get ESPN.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I go off and on with Sling TV, mostly during college football season. Hulu, Netflix and Youtube are what I have now, and I'll probably get Prime back before Christmas. You could do what I do and order the Big Bang Theory season pass from iTunes, it's something like $34.99 but that's a one time charge, and it's about the same price as a DVD. I haven't watched all the episodes yet so I've got some catching up to do.

I got Sling TV before thinking I wanted Spike TV for COPS. Turns out I just wanted COPS (also ordered off iTunes). That makes it nice because I can watch on my schedule, not the networks.

Last edited:
Reactions: goreds2 and Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I currently have Netflix, WWE and will add Hulu soon. In the past while I was working I did bought some tv shows on iTunes and didn't realize the same shows are on Netflix and Hulu, so I wasted some money in the past. So I mainly focus on buying movies instead of tv shows.

I have thought of buying TBBT on iTunes, but I enjoy watching the reruns marathon on TBS. It like watching the Simpsons marathon on FXX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I gave up cable a year ago and did fine. Our city gave our neighborhood a Pilot Plan for Fiber Optic internet which made it very easy to drop the cable plan. I like to watch Hulu, Netflix and You Tube videos on the TV. We were saving $120 per month and had lots of entertainment. But I just added PlayStation Vue a week ago because it has ESPN, ESPN-2, ESPU, ESPNNews, SEC and the Big Ten Network. So now we will be saving $85 per month from since we had cable. Still pretty good. I like Hulu for classic shows and I just finished 13 Reasons Why and season 2 of Netflix Love on Netflix. In addition to the live tv, PlayStation Vue has good on demand content for ABC, NBC and Fox. My sweets likes it better than Hulu's on demand network content

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Hulu's new Live service is supposed to be a little more expensive than the others, but they offer Live TV along with their complete on-demand library (think Live + Hulu Plus) for $40 a month, and an additional DVR for like $20 more. That might work for me even at that price point since I'm rarely around to watch live TV and I detest ads. It would be similar to getting Netflix and Sling TV in a package deal, that sounds alright.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
There's also Pluto TV which is like cable, but no CNN, TBS, ESPN, etc. Plus, it's free. The programming is quite addictive. Most of the movies they show are uncensored and there's even several channels devoted to wrestling, kickboxing, news and even a channel with half-naked women. However, the commercials are repetitive and annoying.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
We did really well hosting Easter today without cable. TNT had a couple of NBA playoff games on PlayStation Vue, ABC had an NBA playoff game on regular tv and NBC Sports had playoff hockey on PlayStation Vue. Our only failure was not having the Brewer game on PlayStation Vue. I thought my package was supposed to get Fox Sports Regional but it did not so we couldn't watch the Brewers. But once dinner was served all was forgotten.

Reactions: goreds2 and Wolf

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I was going to wait for Hulu's service but it sounded like it wasn't going to be ready for my streamers. I have two Roku's which were projected for this fall and two Sony's which weren't even projected at all. So that's why I went with PlayStation Vue which I can only get on the Roku's. But it sounds like Hulu's service is going to be really good and if it ends up being available on my products I will seriously look at it.

Footnote: It's nice having SiriusXM's internet service on all my streamers.

Reactions: Wolf

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Sony Is Working on a Overhaul of PlayStation Vue - Cord Cutters News

18055936_1375475079142449_5926014797167875478_o.jpg

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
My DVR.
----------------------
I've had PlayStation Vue for a little over two weeks now and I'm started to get used to scrolling through to find a channel but its a trip. But still a much better option than paying almost $200 a month.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Sling TV Adds DVR Support to The Apple TV - Cord Cutters News

I'm currently still with DirecTV Now, because I needed HBO to watch Game of Thrones. I don't mind DirecTV Now, it has all the channels I want, unfortunately no DVR service yet. My monthly package service cost $35, but since I'm a unlimited plus user it only cost $10 a month, but I believe it only for a short time, I need to confirm.

But before my next billing date, I was thinking of trying Playstation Vue, because it has a DVR service, but now Sling offers a DVR service. I don't know who to try next.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I saw that Sling is offering an a la carte for $20. That sounds like a good deal. I went with PlayStation Vue for $35 because they had the BigTen Network in that package, also ESPNU and SEC network. PlayStation quality is good, you get a full screen. I just had to get use to scrolling for channels.

Reactions: Wolf

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It's a misnomer. They've updated their branding to try to attract more people. It's the same base package + add-on packages they've offered. Current subscribers are pretty annoyed.
I like Sling the best, but it's clearly a marketing ploy. These streaming packages like HBO NOW, STARZ, Showtime and others is about as close as it gets to A la Carte. Plus iTunes, Amazon and Google Play selling shows per season. (I bought Brooklyn Nine-Nine and BBT on iTunes, probably more later.)

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Hulu's Live TV Streaming Service Will Have Over 50 Channels After NBCUniversal Deal - Cord Cutters News

“NBC Universal is home to many of today’s leading sports, news, entertainment and lifestyle networks – brands that not only draw large audiences but also drive pop culture,” said Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins. “With this agreement in place, Hulu will soon provide an affordable, complete live TV package that includes all four major broadcast networks, the top-rated cable news channels, a massive sports offering and our deep existing premium streaming library for under $40.”