Contract negotiations gone bad...

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
He wants to be paid like an elite coach, but he hasn't fully arrived yet. Sure he had a great season last year and his background w/ KY and OK is rock solid, but he hasn't won his conference and his bowl record is hovering around .500. Sneaking off to an interview with another program didn't help either.

Sign the extension, or else go win 11 games again and watch those 4 clauses disappear.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
There's plenty of blame to go around on both sides. Kent Hance and Gerald Myers are idiots if you ask me, but then again, I don't think Leach really wants to be at Tech much longer. He says he does, but why has he interviewed at Miami, UCLA, and Washington all in the past couple of years?

This whole situation has just excalated and gotten out of control to where now egos are involved and neither side will back down. There's bad blood. Myers and Leach have never been buddy-buddy, and I think this is finally going to end up in a divorce. It sucks.

Tomorrow at 2:00, Hance, Myers, and the Board of Regents are having a conference to discuss the situation. And it was released today that Leach will also be there. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall during that.

But like I said, I think the whole thing is completely FUBAR and tomorrow's conference will just end up in the firing of Leach. As a Tech graduate and one of the biggest Red Raider fans out there, it hurts. As high we were during last year's season, we're just as low right now.

Maybe we can get Tommy Tuberville. I'm sure their first choice would be Art Briles at Baylor though. He's a Tech grad and coached here under Leach for a couple of years. I just don't know if they'd be able to convince him to leave this late in the process. It's looking more and more like the 2009-10 season is going to have to be mailed in.

Last edited:

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, ego on both sides. Terrible timing to try and find a new coach or for Leach to get another job - hopefully they decide to table the discussion until end of next season.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
For once I am glad I was wrong! Apparently Leach and Texas Tech agreed to a new 5-year deal today. I don't know what happened, how it happened, or why, but I let out a HUGE sigh of relief when I just heard about this on the way home. They are going to release the contract details later this evening.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech Red Raiders reach new deal - ESPN

:purpbanana::purpbanana::purpbanana: