Construction

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i started this thread because i enjoyed looking at pics of volcano bay being built. it's now all finished and today is opening day.

DAsyZs0XcAIFqH2.jpg:large

DAsyBtVXgAEKKKj.jpg:large

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
now that pandora is open in animal kingdom:

pandora1.jpg

with a really cool animatronic:

it's time to focus on the massive construction in disney's hollywood studios.

toy story land is starting to take shape with parts of the slinky dog coaster already built:

DA8RUNLXoAAXGQP.jpg

star wars land is not as far along yet:

DA8Up8-W0AIOk_4.jpg

and here are both new lands in the same shot:

DA8WkZGXYAAGsmI.jpg

i like how star wars land is much bigger than toy story land.

Reactions: Wolf

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I figured this would be the appropriate thread to post this in.

So we have finally hit the point, where I'm confident that plans for construction of our new house are going forward. We bought the land on the southern Maine coast back in 2015, sold our New Hampshire home in 2016, and have been renting in Massachusetts.

We worked with a surveyor and septic designer to locate the septic system, and map out the elevations of the property. As it turns out, everything that follows hinges on the location of the septic design.

We started contracting with a post & beam design company last fall. They led us to our local builder. We've had the basic idea for the design (below) since the 1st of the year. Since then, we've been working with a bank on financing, the builder on developing the build list, and the post & beam company on finalizing the frame structure. The builder is the general contractor (GC), so he gets the excavator, as well as all the other subs.

The main structure of the house is post & beam. It's a basic rectangle with a simple roof. The builder will attach the garage and master bedroom areas to the P&B. The advantage of P&B is that there are no load-bearing interior walls, so the layout can be very flexible and open. The main living area will be open to the 2nd story roof.

We didn't want a house that's just a bunch of box-shaped rooms. And we want the ability to have single-floor living. The upstairs will have a loft (overlooking the great room), a bedroom with bath (for our daughter), and an office area/ guest room. The master bedroom is on the 1st floor, as is the garage, porch, and deck. The basement has a partial walkout, where I can put the mower, and maybe have a game room.

It's an expensive endeavor; we've exceeded our maximum anticipated budget by 25%. But our only option was to scrap the whole thing, sell the land, and just buy somebody's house. Short of that, there are not many ways to make a custom-built house cheaper. If we were to scale-down to bottom-grade design and construction, we'd save maybe 10-15%, and have something no better than just buying a pre-built house. There's no way to have someone build 1 of something, and have it cost the same as 1 of 100. Having said that, I've also realized that any new construction - even in a big development - is comparable in cost to what we're doing. But what we're getting is a hell of a lot better than those cookie-cutter communities.

We're at the cul-de-sac of a very secluded, established neighborhood. We're not looking out at any other houses; we have several acres, leading to a watershed protection zone. So here's some of the engineering drawings of the design, and a google street-view of our lot.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
We worked with a surveyor and septic designer to locate the septic system, and map out the elevations of the property. As it turns out, everything that follows hinges on the location of the septic design.

The main living area will be open to the 2nd story roof.

We didn't want a house that's just a bunch of box-shaped rooms. And we want the ability to have single-floor living. The upstairs will have a loft (overlooking the great room), a bedroom with bath (for our daughter), and an office area/ guest room. The master bedroom is on the 1st floor, as is the garage, porch, and deck. The basement has a partial walkout, where I can put the mower, and maybe have a game room.

But what we're getting is a hell of a lot better than those cookie-cutter communities.

We're at the cul-de-sac of a very secluded, established neighborhood. We're not looking out at any other houses; we have several acres, leading to a watershed protection zone.

that all sounds amazing scotch!

when i was a kid we had a septic tank and i was always in awe of the guys who came to clean it with their big truck and giant vacuum hose. i wanted to be a "septic man" as i called it, when i grew up.

open floor plan seems so very nice. this along with the high ceilings is perfect!

privacy with a lots of land is a dream location!

i really hope you keep us all posted with pics of the construction.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
that all sounds amazing scotch!

when i was a kid we had a septic tank and i was always in awe of the guys who came to clean it with their big truck and giant vacuum hose. i wanted to be a "septic man" as i called it, when i grew up.

open floor plan seems so very nice. this along with the high ceilings is perfect!

privacy with a lots of land is a dream location!

i really hope you keep us all posted with pics of the construction.
Thanks, I plan to post occasional updates. They're going to start clearing the lot next week (so I hear), just enough for the house, driveway and septic, with a minimal yard. Although we also want to clear the southerly area of tall pines.

Growing up in suburban NJ, I never saw a septic system or well until I moved to NH. But I can confidently say that, from the first time I saw a septic system being pumped, I wanted nothing to do with that.

As a kid, I actually thought it would be neat to drive a big rig, but now I'm fine just reading Semi's posts.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
They cleared the lot for the driveway and house site

once again, that's beautiful scotch. it really looks idyllic.

where are your closest neighbors? on the sides or in front? also, is your acreage mostly going to be behind your new home or all around it?

as much as i get a weird kick out of your dashboard pics, this is even better! keep them coming!

Be careful.
It's tick season.

to the ticks, all of a sudden it's scotch season.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This is from the GIS map of the area.

So if you drive to the top of the cul-de-sac, our lot is back to the right. The house is near the front of the lot, the back of the lot (the part that abuts nothing) drops downhill to the bed of a brook. The only house that's somewhat close is the one to the right of us, but it's about 40' uphill from us. Also, we laid out the house so that our main views are toward the left side, and straight back through the trees.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
if everything stays on track when do you expect to be living in your new home?

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
if everything stays on track when do you expect to be living in your new home?
We were originally thinking it could be October. But there was a big delay in the planning/financing cycle, wherein a detailed construction build spec had to be drawn-up by the builder, which then kicked-off a whole financing/appraisal activity by the bank. So normally you'd expect to get financing for construction, and then the builder would make a plan, but it kind-of works the other way around.

Anyway, based on that schedule shift, we've been expecting more like December, but right now our builder is trying to coordinate with the post & beam manufacturer to pull things in by a month or so. The foundation schedule plays into that as well. So maybe we'll get some time back, and be closer to November (or even back to October).

The timing is actually pretty important, because we're renting now, and while the owner is very flexible, he won't let us leave during the winter, as it would be hard to get new tenants then. But the worst that can happen is they finish the inside of the house during the winter, and we move out of the rental in March. It's not the end of the world. It would be much worse if the foundation, septic, well, or exterior were possibly running into winter.

My 20th wedding anniversary is this October, so getting an occupancy permit would definitely exempt me from having to make plans or buy a big gift.