Considering using Slacker G2 for Wedding reception. Will this work?

DizzyLauren

Apr 29, 2009
Hello! I am getting married this September, and have been trying to find ways to cut costs. My idea was to buy and set up stations for the reception, rather than paying for a DJ. Would this work? I'm worried that:

1. The battery will die. Could I leave it docked?
2. If I subscribe to the premium account, how many hours of music could I save?
3. What type of speakers can be hooked up to the dock?
4. Can I set up a playlist and have it play just those in order?

I'll need approximately 8 hours of playtime. Currently I just have a free web account, but would definitely upgrade. Plus I know I would use the portable all the time. I don't own an Ipod, but did look into the Touch. However, I'm not certain that the area we'll be in will have wifi connection, so that doesn't help.

Any feedback would be great! I appreciate any other ideas that anyone has.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Welcome to DRC!

1.Battery LifeUp to 15 hours. bring the charger.
2. Days.
3. Any analog speaker system with a mini plug 3.5mm adapter
4. Yes. If you own the music and upload it to the G2 and make an ipod style play list. Slacker stations are in 'random' order even if they are custom songs/artisit.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
You're probably better off using an iPod and just creating a playlist for the various events.
Posted via Mobile Device

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
You're probably better off using an iPod and just creating a playlist for the various events.
Posted via Mobile Device

:bigthumbup:

I find that when set up for parties, Slacker will play the most inappropriate song at the worst time... Even with your station configured to the hilt.

Setting up an iPod playlist lets you control the mood of the wedding, so you can start off rockin', then move into some slower stuff, have the right music for the right time and event... I personally would find this option very time-consuming however, since I would have to find 8 hours of fitting music, and time it just right. But that's just me, the perfectionist.

Hope it goes well for you:bigthumbup:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
If you don't have an iPod, you could also set the playlist up in Windows Media player and just have the speakers connected to your laptop... Not preferable, but it'll work.

But I would highly recommend the iPod Touch. You can get Slacker on it, and much, much, much more.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Congratulations on your wedding. I still have a free account with my Slacker G2 and have done fairly well customizing my stations. If you start customizing now and fine tune your channel to favorites only, you may have a good 300-500 song wedding channel by september.

If you really want to do this with Slacker, some things to consider: price of G2 vs dj, effort and time to cutomize a channel, Slacker's terms of use policy.

DizzyLauren

Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the information. I think I am leaning towards buying an Ipod touch. That way I can customize a little better, plus I can download the slacker app. I will have a little more control with the Ipod.

Thanks again!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
you can also use the ipod touch to remotely control media players on a laptop through wifi. then you could keep the touch in your pocket and change the laptop on the fly.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks for the information. I think I am leaning towards buying an Ipod touch. That way I can customize a little better, plus I can download the slacker app. I will have a little more control with the Ipod.

Thanks again!

That is a smart way to go with the iPod Touch because it gives you so many options.

However, being the Slacker Guru that I am, I have to disagree with these guys about creating stations. If you really create a station by putting the specific artist/songs in and set it to only play those songs, you won't have any surprises and you will only get the songs you want in that playlist to play. I have created a number of these from Romantic 70's to Billboards #1's. It can be done, but takes a lot of work. However, the rewards are fantastic. It is like Slackers library is mine to personalize and use as I see fit.

During a Valentines party I played that Romantic 70's station as we did a themed party, which was called Romantic 70's. I have to tell you my station was a huge hit and NO there were no surprises. The reason folks get surprises is they don't customize the station enough to eliminate them.

SeanaBanana

May 11, 2009
I used Slacker at my wedding and it was a huge hit!

Hey Guys,

I was just married on April 18th and used my Slacker G2 as reception music and it was a monster hit. I used the non-vocal jazz station for the appetizer/bar hour and everyone complemented me on how great the tunes were (event better then the DJ we had for the dance section of the reception).
I used my G2 and my Radio Plus account. To be honest, Radio Plus cost less then a latte a month... Totally worth the $$$ considering a DJ is going to run you at least $1000 and Radio Plus is less then $50 for the year...

I recommend it with two thumbs up!