Confused about the merger and channels

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
The backseat TV option could be a great additional service to certain markets... I just think Sirius is focusing to much on the kid aspect of it. They should look to expanding it to truckers, campers/rv'ers etc and broaden the content base. The bandwidth is an issue so it'd severely be limited but I could see some of the above people wanting some basic news like a CNN/Headline and maybe a sports highlight channel (not carrying full games), and some network TV partnerships.

I think in order for SiriusXM to be successful in the long term they have to look into offering an integrated service, include a GPS navigation system along with real time construction information/weather information on the display, along with somewhat static news, stock, etc information available to people. Basically integrate all the little gadgets people already have in their car right now.

People talk about the internet enabled car... It's fine if your in an urban area, get in the backwoods... not so much... those internet enabled cars will rely on a cellular signal more then likely for access, which isn't always available.

Sorry about being off the topic... but had to put my 2 cents in on the backseat tv.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So will XM and Sirius BOTH have the exact same channel lineup except for The Best of Sirius?

Best guess is exactly the same channels with different numbers with the following exceptions:

• No CC stations (Nashville, KISS, MIX, PINK, Rock@Random) on Sirius
  • Canadian music channels (and talk/news channels for that matter) will remain unique

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
Looking back at the history of satellite radio, I now see Backseat TV as nothing but the last in a LONG LONG line of each company one uping each other to attract new subscribers and OEM deals.

Now that the merger is done, and over, that dime they spent on Backstage TV was worth it and they will slowly let it fade away into oblivion along the lines of SegaCD and Sega32x. Both worthless shit but it sold a fucking lot of consoles.

wafflejuice

Nov 5, 2008
For me I am going to keep my Sirius Subscrpition because of Hardcore Sports Radio which is not on XM , and if you havent listened to them yet it is no holds barred sports talk and they have alot of entertaining programs.

:yesshake:

jcc

Nov 18, 2008
Gulfport, MS
For me I am going to keep my Sirius Subscrpition because of Hardcore Sports Radio which is not on XM , and if you havent listened to them yet it is no holds barred sports talk and they have alot of entertaining programs.

I agree. I'm also keeping it for Sporting News Radio

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Many reasons better equipment, better reception, better technology, plus I can get everything that SIRIUS offers that interest me. Sirius. I can't think of a single reason for me to keep my Sirius subscription.

Wasn't Sirius planning on launching 2 geostationary birds (the kind that XM uses) later on this year?

Also, XM doesn't have a radio with Wi-Fi (not even the new XMp3), and XM's premium internet stream is only 96k (compared to Sirius' 128k).

As for future equipment, I'm willing to bet that the new radios will accept a signal from both services (which would save the company a ton of money since they won't have to manufacture two separate radios).

As for Backseat TV, it needs to be scrapped. Stay the hell out of the mobile Satellite TV business (leave that for DirecTV).

I guess it's up to the eye of the beholder. Because unlike DAB, I can't think of a single reason for me to get an XM subscription (I only got the Best of XM because it was offered at $100 for a lifetime add-on which would break-even after 5 months of breaking even on my Sirius sub). :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Wasn't Sirius planning on launching 2 geostationary birds (the kind that XM uses) later on this year?

Also, XM doesn't have a radio with Wi-Fi (not even the new XMp3), and XM's premium internet stream is only 96k (compared to Sirius' 128k).

As for future equipment, I'm willing to bet that the new radios will accept a signal from both services (which would save the company a ton of money since they won't have to manufacture two separate radios).

As for Backseat TV, it needs to be scrapped. Stay the hell out of the mobile Satellite TV business (leave that for DirecTV).

I guess it's up to the eye of the beholder. Because unlike DAB, I can't think of a single reason for me to get an XM subscription (I only got the Best of XM because it was offered at $100 for a lifetime add-on which would break-even after 5 months of breaking even on my Sirius sub). :)

Sirius isn't going to be launching any sats, you can bet that has all been scrapped for now.

Wifi is not important for everyone and besides that with the release of the iPhone/iPod App for those that have those streaming via Wifi will still be possible without having a Sirius or XM device that does so.

Right now at least thus far the XM side is still showing its superiority in terms of updating the tuners with channel icons and wallapapers, while the Sirius side other than the wifi (which was done by Zing not Sirius) is still waiting and probably will continue to wait. OEM sales on the XM side is higher than the Sirius side.

But the real deal is for you is that you locked yourself into Sirius with a Lifetime Plan and that is the REAL reason you are stuck with Sirius. I always knew I'd never get myself locked into one service with a Lifetime Plan. Sure you end up with a radio that you basically has paid for itself over time, but in the end it limits your choices unless you want to pay.

The backseat video isn't going anywhere. They have long term contracts with Ford and Chrysler for that product, so they are stuck like Chuck unless they go under. I do agree that future radios even OEM will have both chipsets but only until the combine the spectrum as noted below. Then once you get everyone switched to a dual chipset tuner, you could eventually just turn off one of the chipsets and going forward go back to making a single chipset tuner as the other, which would save even more money.

I also think long term they will eventually move to combine the spectrum and with the XM side being superior in terms of technology that is more than likely the side they will go to. It is possible they would keep the XM side for just the video, not sure how that would work though. But clearly the plan is to combine the spectrum at some point under a single service.

In regards to which side the XM or the Sirius side to go with, I think it all depends on what you've really invested in more than anything else and what equipment works best for you. Clearly for me that would be XM.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
That's even worse.

Oh well, to each his own. :s

Actually if you listen to them side by side, it is hard for me to tell the difference between XM's 64kb vs Sirius's 128kb. XM's internet radio in my opinion has always had great sound to me, not sure if it is because they use a different codec or not.

But I do agree with IRBS I think eventually they will standardize this across both services. I always paid the 2.99 per month for the Sirius Premium service, so I'd do the same for the XM if it were available. Though right now I am pretty darn happy with the free 64kb. ;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Actually if you listen to them side by side, it is hard for me to tell the difference between XM's 64kb vs Sirius's 128kb. XM's internet radio in my opinion has always had great sound to me, not sure if it is because they use a different codec or not.

But I do agree with IRBS I think eventually they will standardize this across both services. I always paid the 2.99 per month for the Sirius Premium service, so I'd do the same for the XM if it were available. Though right now I am pretty darn happy with the free 64kb. ;)

I can tell the difference. People complain about the sounds on the SATS but they sound good to me. But XMs online service sounds like a tin can to my ears. Thats the biggest reason for going to the 128k for me.