Confessions of an e-mail packrat...

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
So this weekend, I've been cleaning out my inbox. Since November 2008, I collected about 5000 messages, and have pared it down to 1,021 this evening. I'm still cleaning it, so I'm not done yet.

No real story here, just felt I should share in case there are others who suffer from email packrat-itis, too!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Thats nothing, I woman I worked with years ago had over 20,000! I think it was over 4 GB.
Currently I have 662 in my main acct and 889 in my spammy yahoo forum account.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So this weekend, I've been cleaning out my inbox. Since November 2008, I collected about 5000 messages, and have pared it down to 1,021 this evening. I'm still cleaning it, so I'm not done yet.

No real story here, just felt I should share in case there are others who suffer from email packrat-itis, too!

jef, I generally clean my mailbox up about once a year! However, with me moving between PC and Macs I recently did it early and I am down to around 500 messages some of which I have in a saved box.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I never clean my inboxes. I've got a lot of different accounts for different identities, and all of them grow and never shrink. Storage is too cheap to waste time deleting mail.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I never clean my inboxes. I've got a lot of different accounts for different identities, and all of them grow and never shrink. Storage is too cheap to waste time deleting mail.

In other words what you are saying is you are a slob and really aren't very organized. Why not just say so? LOL

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
In other words what you are saying is you are a slob and really aren't very organized. Why not just say so? LOL

Heh - I think this is why I had to clean mine. It's bad enough the messes I have in real life. I'm also trying to clean off my desk, and finding that to be painful.

Oh, btw, I got down to less than 200 last night before bedtime!

Then I looked at my work inbox:

inbox.png

Back to square one.....

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

I am, but not when it comes to data. There's no benefit from deleting an email (other than spam). It's impossible to predict what you'll actually need in the future, especially for legal purposes. The cost to store them is effectively free, as is the cost to search and sort them.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I'm not sure the amount I have at work, but I know I have 106 pages of 25 emails each. And that's only the inbox.

I haven't gotten yelled at yet.