Confessions Of A Former Satrad Addict

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My favourite channel was Classic Rewind / Big Tracs. I even liked the merged Classic Rewind for a while. But lately, they should just rename the channel Obscure Rewind. They don't play classic rock tracks. They play rock tracks that may have been played at one time or another but I certainly have never heard them. They also could be called the Van Halen channel. They play them at least once every 2 hours. Similar saturation with Genesis & Phil Collins.

Conversely, I have found that some local FM channels play better mixes (but do have commercials). I have started listen more and more to 3 FM channels. The 1st is called BOOM 97.3. Plays 70s, 80s, and 90s. Fairly deep in playlist but all familiar. The 2nd is Q107 a classic rock channel. It is sort of like what the old TopTracs was on XM before the split with Big Tracs. This one has more commercials so I listen less than BOOM.

The 3rd channel is a Saskatoon radio station Cruz 96.3. I stream it when I am at home or at work. 70s, 80s, 90s + some current stuff and 60s thrown in. Fairly deep playlist and no repeats in a given day. Can't listen in the car though as it is not local.

I also like the new SXM channel "Classic Rock Party". But can only listen to it on internet. Since my wife also uses the stream I have limited opportunity to listen.

And if I still can't find anything to listen to, there is always Slacker. I still pay $48/year to listen. May not renew that next year; I rarely listen.

My wife and I each have lifetime subs. And we pay $4/month for the internet stream. The only sub which is not lifetime is the car subscription. I am thinking of not renewing next month. There was a time when such a thought would be unthinkable. But now it is the direction I am leaning (although I may let them talk me into a good deal).

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I used to read complaints about Classic Rewind playing too much Cars :confused:

I don't really care for obscure. I was afraid the merger would have that effect. It's not too bad, tho.

I mostly listen to Sports Talk :)

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I couldn't imagine going back to radio with commercial interruptions.
I'm too spoiled by 9+ years of Sirius XM.

Sirius XM is 100% of my 'in car' listening.

When I'm home, I listen to some Sirius XM, but lately have been listening to my own collection of music (unlimited skips).

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The station drift kills me, then the commercials, then the high rotation. If one of my usual sat stations is on a high rotation swing, I just switch to another. But my tastes are diverse enough, I can usually find something in another genre that will work. If what IRBS wants to listen to, doesn't have enough stations to switch between, I get where he's coming from.

Reactions: goreds2

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Slacker. iTunes Radio. Podcasts. Tunein Radio Pro. My own collection. Plus the scanner apps for weather and emergency. Like cable, the only reason to keep it is for sports, since I don't follow sports, I don't need it. (Or cable)

That pretty much does it for me.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Slacker. iTunes Radio. Podcasts. Tunein Radio Pro. My own collection. Plus the scanner apps for weather and emergency. Like cable, the only reason to keep it is for sports, since I don't follow sports, I don't need it. (Or cable)
Are any of those music sources programmed by a DJ (or more accurately, a programming staff)? Because one of the things I need, is the knowledge that the new music I'm listening to represents what's current in the music industry. It's similar to my need to live near a big city and a coast. I don't like the concept of having an algorithm throw a bunch of bands at me which all sound like Coldplay, nor do I want my music selected by some punky kid living in his parent's basement. And I absolutely can't just listen to my current collection on shuffle.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Are any of those music sources programmed by a DJ (or more accurately, a programming staff)? Because one of the things I need, is the knowledge that the new music I'm listening to represents what's current in the music industry. It's similar to my need to live near a big city and a coast. I don't like the concept of having an algorithm throw a bunch of bands at me which all sound like Coldplay, nor do I want my music selected by some punky kid living in his parent's basement. And I absolutely can't just listen to my current collection on shuffle.
Slacker is programmed by DJs, you can pick and choose what you wish to hear also. Also the case with iTunes radio. Tunein Radio Pro is mainly terrestrial radio stations that employ DJs and Programming directors. All cheaper and easier than satellite. Slacker ($3.99 a month) iTunes radio (Free with ads, ad-free with iTunes Match $25 a year), TuneIn Radio Pro ($2.99 or somewhere around there, one time purchase, free-to-use) Weather apps are free, provided by NOAA. And the scanner app was something like $.99 with no additional monthly fee.

3.99 a month for Slacker, $25.00/year / 12 = 2.08 a month for iTunes Match/Ad Free iTunes Radio. Free use of everything else.

Satellite radio = $16.99 a month and up plus royalty fees. You can easily see where the savings are.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I just want the majority of my music to come from one easy to use source. I don't like commercials, station drift, or having to swap between devices or apps, or having to work to collect my content for the day/week. I do like to hear dj's talk about bands, songs, tours, and whatnot a little bit too. I do listen to Slacker some, and my CD's (mp3 's) when I want something specific. But the satellite is still the most convenient option for my preferences.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I like Real Jazz, Watercolors, Luna, Siriusly Sinatra, 40's on 4 (when it returns), College Sports Nation, Coffeehouse, Alt Nation, Holiday Traditions, The Village's Mary Sue Twohy Folk Show on the Bridge, Jelly Bean Benitez on Studio 54 and Cool Bobby B on 50's on 5. I listen to other channels on and off but these are my babies. As long as they are available, I'll be pleased with the service.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
The wife has a Sirius sub for her car, so for me, I just pay a few bucks/mo for the internet stream/ phone app. For us, it's the best choice overall for convenience, services delivered, and price.

The new music education I get from SiriusXMU alone is worth the price. I also listen to Alt Nation, Spectrum, Classic College, 1st wave & Lithium. The wife and I like Classic Rewind & Deep Tracks in the car. Oh, and of course Howard.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
That's the thing, see. My favorites were X-Country, Fungus, Beyond Jazz, Soul Street and Music Lab. What do those have in common? They're all gone! Shortly before or after the 'merger' (read: takeover by Sirius) the soul of the old XM was stripped away and replaced with FM Radio without commercials.

Thankfully, I now have other outlets to get those formats, Slacker is $3.99 a month, everything else is free. For the time I actually do spend in the car, CarPlay will put all my choices in one place. To a certain extent, they already are, since they're on one device. I also get news from the BBC World Service (Free), C-Span Radio (Free), and numerous others available on services like Tunein.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The wife has a Sirius sub for her car, so for me, I just pay a few bucks/mo for the internet stream/ phone app. For us, it's the best choice overall for convenience, services delivered, and price.

The new music education I get from SiriusXMU alone is worth the price. I also listen to Alt Nation, Spectrum, Classic College, 1st wave & Lithium. The wife and I like Classic Rewind & Deep Tracks in the car. Oh, and of course Howard.
No muss, no fuss. Since they still play plenty of music that I like, it's hands down the best choice for me.
I can see where IRBS and Jon aren't getting the same value without the music that they enjoy though.

It's been a Planet Jazz kind of day for me today. I wanted something different, clicked once, and I've been listening since 8:30 this morning.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wasn't it quite recently when we were complaining that Sirius played TOO MANY hits?

Huh?
It goes back and forth. SXM goes in cycles where they either play a lot of hits in heavy rotation, or a lot deeper play list. I like that they mix it up from time to time, but would rather get the variety.

The MySXM goes a long way in dealing with that.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Well I called them. They would not give me the $103/year they did last year. Said it was a one time thing. The normal price is $175+fees+tax . They offered $135 incl fees & taxes. I asked them to throw in internet. They said either $50/year additional or pay full price and they would comp it.

I said go ahead and cancel. All of a sudden a new deal appeared. So I renewed for $145 incl fees, taxes and internet. Now my wife and I can listen at the same time.

This is SXM Canada in case the prices look different.

And my wife will be able to stream from her iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So almost former...... its cool that they still worked with you to some degree.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Still former. In 2008 I would have renewed at full price without blinking an eye. Now it's just another music service.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk