Confessions Of A Former Satrad Addict

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I'm open to new music and new bands, but I don't listen to music just because it's new. Most new music sucks. I have to hear a good hook or something that hits you just right and makes you pause and listen.

Finding a new band you like is sort of like meeting a girl. You can meet girls at a bar or something, but nothing is as fun as meeting a great girl out of the blue, unexpectedly, when you weren't even looking. You say to yourself, "I didn't think THAT would happen today." Good new music is best when it's a pleasant surprise.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm open to new music and new bands, but I don't listen to music just because it's new. Most new music sucks. I have to hear a good hook or something that hits you just right and makes you pause and listen.

Finding a new band you like is sort of like meeting a girl. You can meet girls at a bar or something, but nothing is as fun as meeting a great girl out of the blue, unexpectedly, when you weren't even looking. You say to yourself, "I didn't think THAT would happen today." Good new music is best when it's a pleasant surprise.

Like the first time I heard "Gold on the Ceiling" by the Black Keys or "The Hardest Button to Button" by the White Stripes and that "Holy Shit, I must hear more" moment.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Casual Fan

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Regarding "new" music...

I just find it much easier to delve deeper into the catalogs of artist I already know and respect than to pick through all the new music being made.

We're not exactly living in the golden age of rock here in 2014.
I mean 1968 gave us White Light/White Heat, The Graduate soundtrack, Astral Weeks, The Beatles' White Album, Cheap Thrills, Music from Big Pink, etc...

You can say I'm living in a time warp musically, and I'm okay with that.

If something new catches my ear, I'm open to it, I'm just not actively seeking new music.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
What a (mostly) depressing thread. Most new music sucks? That's what my Dad said about music of the '60's. It's what people of one generation always say about music of another generation. You can listen to (or not listen to) whatever you want, but there's always good new music. For me, about 75% of what they play on Alt Nation and SiriusXMU is good music, and I'm in my fifties.

And how is listening to Foreigner and Van Halen all day, any different than watching All in the Family and Gunsmoke all day? Again, it's your life, do what you want, but don't profess about something you choose not to involve yourself with.

I know almost nothing about wine, therefore I don't contribute my opinions on wine forums. Know what I'm saying? Last I checked, new bands are still selling-out concerts, and new music is still widely listened to.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm not into anything on the pop charts these days. "These days" probably started 30 years ago. But there is great music being made today. There is no chart for it. It isn't clustered in a specific genre. Sometimes the cool kids know of it, but beware the cool kids. They will listen to crap just because it is obscure, and they will reject great music just because it isn't. Finding it takes effort, and you can be forgiven for growing too weary to search as you approach the grave. Almost.

Reactions: Casual Fan

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I have rediscovered how much I enjoy (and missed) live local DJs and Canadian music on local FM. Sat still good for backup during commercials and traveling.

Canada must be different in that regard. You guys still have that "33% Canadian content" law or however much percent it is? Canadian radio, eh?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
That mindset always confounds me. Have you watched a TV show or movie produced in the last 20 years? Assuming you have, what's the difference between that and music?

Maybe part of it (for some) is the fact that if their band from the 80s or 90s is still touring, they'll keep ahold of that. People generally listen to what they grow up with, from what I hear. Plus, when the "new music" radio stations pump out nothing but Beyonce and Jay-Z, it seems like you really have to dig to find new music that isn't Top 40 pop/r&b/hip-hop.

Heck, what's one city's radio stations like? Clear Channel Top 40. Clear Channel country. Clear Channel rock. Local rock station. Local classic rock station. Maybe an underground/college radio station. Maybe an independent alternative/rock station in the likes of Radiohead, Coldplay, Weezer, etc. Another Clear Channel station. Maybe another country station. Maybe a third country station. Sports at 1-2 places on the dial. NPR/talk/politics/etc at a few more. Local-owned jazz station.

Heck, Clear Channel even changed their name for whatever reason. (Yeah...the conspiracy is out there, I'm sure.) They also own several other stations under the "IHeartRadio" name. :rolleyes:

Yuck.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
And how is listening to Foreigner and Van Halen all day, any different than watching All in the Family and Gunsmoke all day? Again, it's your life, do what you want, but don't profess about something you choose not to involve yourself with.

I know almost nothing about wine, therefore I don't contribute my opinions on wine forums. Know what I'm saying? Last I checked, new bands are still selling-out concerts, and new music is still widely listened to.

I am not sure if you are addressing this to me but I choose not to explore new music because quite frankly most of what I have heard is IMHO crap. I have heard and actually bought some new music which I like. But mostly I just listen to stuff from 70s, 80s, or 90s.

I don't see it like a TV show at all. But I can watch some movies that I like over repeatedly.

I am not sure where this expert stuff came about. I shared MY opinion. That's what people do on these boards. I will continue doing so.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
If by new music, you're talking about Bieber, I say new music = sucks.

If by new music you're talking about Muse or Black keys, I say new music = still some hope.

Sent from Tapatalk

Reactions: blueneon36

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It isn't as if music all of a sudden started sucking. For every Pink Floyd during the 70's you had the Bay City Rollers.

Those bands HecticArt mentioned give me hope for music today. Hell even Lady Gaga gives me hope for pop music since she writes her own songs and can actually sing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Canada must be different in that regard. You guys still have that "33% Canadian content" law or however much percent it is? Canadian radio, eh?
Yes. 33%. Led to some music I only heard when I listened to Canadian radio back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
If I just watched old TV shows I never would have discovered Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

Not a big pop fan but when Lady Gaga was on Stern and played that piano and sang live I was impressed. For him to have her, Billy Joel, Metallica and so on play live and talk about their music was so great. That really opened my mind to Lady Gaga and her music. I'll take new music any way I can get it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
This forum IS called Digital Radio Forum, right? I already mentioned Alt Nation and SiriusXMU. So why are you responding with Beiber and top 40, and listings of terrestrial FM radio? There has always been, and will always be, adolescent pop music. How does that work into a conversation about the real music we're discussing? I listen to a mix of several Sirius channels and a few adult/ college rock stations on FM. Yet I never come across Beyoncé, Pit Bull, Taylor Swift, or any of that crap. It's not that difficult.

It's like saying that you don't watch Game of Thrones, Homeland, Louie, or Modern Family, because you can't avoid American Idol, The Kardashians, or Duck Dynasty. These arguments just make no sense.

blueneon36

Mar 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Isn't it great that there are so many options these days?

Back in my day (when I started driving, circa 1998), all we had to choose from were AM/FM or cassettes and CD's.

Road trips were miserable when you didnt have a bunch of cassettes or CD's to tote along with you.

Now we are quabbling over new music and how each of the many available services affects us.

We have come a long way since the advent of Satellite Radio and the smartphone. I don't know what I would do without one or the other for my music needs. (There is a chance I could go back to becoming a paid Sirius Subscriber in the future. All Hope is not lost. LOL)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We're all about any and every way that people get their entertainment in the digital age, or something goofy like that.

I mentioned Biebs because he represents all that sucks with new music.
FM is like network TV, it's still viable even though there are more robust options.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Isn't it great that there are so many options these days?

Back in my day (when I started driving, circa 1998), all we had to choose from were AM/FM or cassettes and CD's.

Road trips were miserable when you didnt have a bunch of cassettes or CD's to tote along with you.

Now we are quabbling over new music and how each of the many available services affects us.

We have come a long way since the advent of Satellite Radio and the smartphone. I don't know what I would do without one or the other for my music needs. (There is a chance I could go back to becoming a paid Sirius Subscriber in the future. All Hope is not lost. LOL)
Well said, but I started driving a dozen years earlier, and I'm (obviously) still a sat fanboy.

Since we're about more than just satellite, and the OP is about moving on, the more options we hear about the better.

Reactions: blueneon36

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
What a (mostly) depressing thread. Most new music sucks? That's what my Dad said about music of the '60's.

Dad was right then and he's right now. Most new music does suck. But there is a metric shit ton of new music created every day. Most of it is trite, repetitive and unimaginative. You have to sift through and find the good stuff.

If you like 75 percent of what's being played on any station, you probably have a different definition of "good" than I do. I guess I'm referring to stuff I'll hold on to for more than a few minutes. I'm looking for a steady date, not a one-night stand.

Why the eff do I keep equating music with girls? College did this to me. :oops:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Like the first time I heard "Gold on the Ceiling" by the Black Keys or "The Hardest Button to Button" by the White Stripes and that "Holy Shit, I must hear more" moment.

Why can't millenials pronounce button? It's not "buh-in." There's a T in there, skippy.

I just wish Jack White could produce a fun song. He needs to meet Joe Walsh--someone's who more than his guitar equal, but who could tell him to lighten up a little. Smile, kid.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Dad was right then and he's right now. Most new music does suck.
You obviously don't understand the point I was making, as you're misappropriating my comment in a way that makes no sense.
If you like 75 percent of what's being played on any station, you probably have a different definition of "good" than I do. I guess I'm referring to stuff I'll hold on to for more than a few minutes.
Well aren't you just an all-around superior intellect; I must be a dope!

The reason I like so much of what I listen to, is that over the years, I've found a few sources of new music wherein the channel programmers are selecting only the best of what's out there. That's why I don't do Pandora or any of those services that just throw everything at you (I'm sure Pandora is good for people who like to do their own exploration).

I listen to music about 10 hours a day during the week, and I find that discovering new music is more mentally stimulating for me. You need to do what works for you, without shitting on others. Just my 2 cents.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Hey Scotch--nowhere did I shit on you. I said we had different definitions of good. If you're listening to a channel whose programmers select music that is "good" to you, then that's great. I suppose they're separating the chaff from the wheat, like I alluded to. I haven't found that channel for me and my definition of good.

With my superior intellect, I'm usually busy creating fully-orchestrated classical works in my head while solving quantum mechanics problems that the boys at MIT send me, but I'd be curious to know which station you listen to that plays the best of what's out there. I'd like to listen! :)