Complimentary Manufacturer's Subscription

Bookworm

Oct 12, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I just bought a 2010 Ford Edge which supposedly comes with a 6 month subscription. Should I add the radio to my Sirius account now or wait until it's time to renew it in six months? I don't want to negate the six month freebie by adding it to my account prematurely. It is working fine now and I want to keep it that way.

atlwxman

Oct 14, 2008
Don't do anything until the sub is about to expire. Heck, I'd wait and see if the account is deactivated. Sirius used to be very bad about deactivating radios. They seem to be more vigilant since the merger.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Definetely. I would 100% wait until the subscription runs out and the radio is deactivated. Right now, they're giving you six months of free Sirius. If you add it to your account now, you may end up paying for those six months. In six months, we'll be at the end of June, and we may have an idea of the contractual situation of several important players at Sirius at that point.

And if you have a plug and play radio, you can always use that for a few months in the truck while you wait until November or December of 2010.

Edit - I just saw your post in the other thread. Even though you listen to other stuff besides Howard and Bubba, if they leave, it may still put the company in an unfavorable light, which could affect your subscription decision.

Still..wait until your truck no longer receives a Sirius signal, then make a decision.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I got a letter from them about a month into my trial for my new Fusion. If said they had a great deal for me if I subscribed before my trial expires. I called them, and the great deal was $20 off a yearly subscription. I really wasn't bowled over. I'm gonna let it expire. If they don't offer me something unexpected to renew, I'm just gonna use my skydock. XM used to offer oem's $75 annual subscriptions. Now that would get me to subscribe.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
When I got my last car, I added the radio to my account right away. Upon the expiration date 6 months later, they started charging me the monthly additional radio fee. It was easy, I didn't need to think about it anymore, and I did not lose anything "free".

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't think you'll lose anything adding it to your account, but I wouldn't do it if you plan to maybe not continue a subs on that radio. Once you add it then the auto renewal crap kicks in.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
My wife, sister and mother all pay $77 a year for XM in their Hondas.

When they call you to renew, you ask how much for the year, they tell you $155 plus tax.
You say that is not worth it.
They transfer you to retention and you say that you have a friend that pays $77 a year and if it was that you would think about it.
Then they say if I could do it for $77 would you renew?, and you say yes.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
Don't do anything until the sub is about to expire. Heck, I'd wait and see if the account is deactivated. Sirius used to be very bad about deactivating radios. They seem to be more vigilant since the merger.

Tried the old S-100 that had been off with the battery pulled scene Sep30 when I activated the S-2. The subscription was dead, I had it off before I called. But the 3 year turned off sportster 1 still works great

Bookworm

Oct 12, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll just let it ride for now and see if they contact me at some point. My radio that I use in my truck at work expires in six months so maybe I can renew them both then.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll just let it ride for now and see if they contact me at some point. My radio that I use in my truck at work expires in six months so maybe I can renew them both then.

I wouldn't recommend moving the car dock, but if you could move the radio, you could buy a second car dock and do it that way.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'd renew in the 6th month and move it to your account. Save the activation fee that way.
Take whatever deal they offer at the time.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I don't quite follow what you're saying here. The radio in the car is a factory in dash unit and the other is my old faithful Brix Streamer.

So you'll have one radio per car? Excellent way to do it. If not, i'd suggest getting two docks, as moving the dock between cars can be bad news.