Commercial-Free Music ...OR NOT

charliejay

Oct 27, 2008
I'm a long time Sirius sub and have not had time to check out all the changes.
HOWEVER, did I hear a commercial on the 50s or 60s decade channel????

Sirius is 100% commercial free music. Right?

Last edited:

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Commercials are paid for, by outside, 3rd parties.

Promos...promote. And are not paid for.

Hopefully, SIRIUS XM is simply trying to alert listeners of where to find new content now that they've "merged" the music channels.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
There are still no commericals on the Sirius XM programmed channels. Promo's do not count! These will settle out, I remember them having a lot of them when they did other major channel changes, but eventually they slowly removed them.

Generally on the Sirius side they always had DJ's doing channel promos.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I'm a long time Sirius sub and have not had time to check out all the changes.
HOWEVER, did I hear a commercial on the 50s or 60s decade channel????

Sirius is 100% commercial free music. Right?

You are not sure what channel you were on. Make sure it was not a promo. I know these are annoying but are not considered commericals.

James

Nov 4, 2008
New Jersey
The promos can be annoying . I remember one time a DJ on First Wave left the script and actually say "I don't think that a First Wave Listener would be interested but" and then proceded to promote, I believe, some Barry Manilow Event.

My musical tastes are all over the place (but not Barry) so I do gleam some useful information from the promos. Also, not evey listener is as up to date on changes at Sirius as I am thanks to third party Sirius Websites. I have heard Sirius pays a straight percent for the music so this would rule out them purposely trying to lower the songs per hour to save money.

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Since the OP was a long-time Sirius sub, is it possible he's referring to a "retromercial" on the XM-derived 60's on 6?

bwaldron

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Since the OP was a long-time Sirius sub, is it possible he's referring to a "retromercial" on the XM-derived 60's on 6?

That was my thought as well -- if listening Friday during the time when they "re-create" a classic channel. Though I would think that such an ad would pretty obviously be recognized for what it is, very casual listening might not betray the source.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Promos aren't bad. It only takes a few seconds to get through one. As long as I don't have to sit through 4 minutes of beer jingles and tire store grand opening sale adverts, I won't cause a fuss.

DLariv308

Oct 27, 2008
MA
About the only thing i have that comes close to a comercial on a music is a DJ saying "check out the new cd from ___________ in stores now" after, or before so and so artist is played which is about a 5 second blurb that i don't consider a commercial either.

charliejay

Oct 27, 2008

I'm the OP and yes, it must have been 60s on 6. Some of what I was listening to was a recreation of a Chicago rock station and indeed there were full commercials during the recreation program.

This was a short about 30-60 seconds which ended with "coming to a theater near you"

What is a "retromecial" ?

monty

Oct 15, 2008
Bumpass, VA
I'm the OP and yes, it must have been 60s on 6. Some of what I was listening to was a recreation of a Chicago rock station and indeed there were full commercials during the recreation program.

This was a short about 30-60 seconds which ended with "coming to a theater near you"

What is a "retromecial" ?

Terry Young produces a show every Friday afternoon that uses tapes from old 60s AM stations mixed with the music. So you will hear local commercials that were broadcast from the station in the 60s as well as that AM stations DJs audio.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
Terry Young produces a show every Friday afternoon that uses tapes from old 60s AM stations mixed with the music. So you will hear local commercials that were broadcast from the station in the 60s as well as that AM stations DJs audio.

Of course, this doesn't count as a commercial, as most likely the product or store being advertised is probably obsolete now. ;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
channel promos and sweepers are one thing :scratch:

But when the channels start promoting other channels I call that a commercial :eek:

Stop the cross channel commercials . . . :bigahh:

A commercial requires Sirius XM to receive $$$. Otherwise it is a promo.

I too find the promos annoying. I think they were put on the first week to help people find stuff on the new lineup. I have noticed a drastic drop in them the last couple of days.