College Hoops

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
That Kentucky win over Florida was interesting.
Florida/Kentucky a few days ago was a hell of a game. I still can't believe Jodie Meeks made that shot. As he was shooting, I was thinking, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" He had plenty more time to get a better look at the basket, but somehow he threw it in there. I wanted Calathes to make those 3 free throws...I was ready for OT.

This whole week so far has had some really entertaining games. Kansas/Mizzou, Florida/Kentucky, UNC/Duke, UCLA/Arizona State, and Gonzaga/St. Mary's...all good games.

builder_j

Dec 2, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Illinois last night wouldn't have been able to score in a women's prison with a handful of pardons. It's not very often when you go on the road, score 38 points against a top 25 team, and come out with a victory. But that's what Penn State was able to do. Final score last night, Penn State 38 Illinois 33.

Penn State vs. Illinois - Recap - February 18, 2009 - ESPN
38-33 huh? Looks like JoePa can still get it done...

(oh wait..this was a basketball game? my bad, please carry on...)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Just to prove how irrelevant the top 25 polls are in college basketball, Memphis could very well move all the way up to number 2 tomorrow with Oklahoma, UConn, and North Carolina all losing in front of them. Now Memphis is a pretty good team, and Tyreke Evans is one of the best freshmen out there, but this is not last year's squad. No way are they the second best team in America.

But, maybe the voters give Oklahoma a break and don't demote them too much. They nearly won without Blake Griffin.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Why didn't someone tell me my LSU Tigers were 23-4, 11-1 in the SEC?!? I had no idea their record was that good. Looks like Trent Johnson was a good hire.

The SEC is weak this year? Only one ranked team.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Just to prove how irrelevant the top 25 polls are in college basketball, Memphis could very well move all the way up to number 2 tomorrow with Oklahoma, UConn, and North Carolina all losing in front of them. Now Memphis is a pretty good team, and Tyreke Evans is one of the best freshmen out there, but this is not last year's squad. No way are they the second best team in America.

But, maybe the voters give Oklahoma a break and don't demote them too much. They nearly won without Blake Griffin.
AJ: Yes, I agree with you, as Memphis is talented, they arent THAT good, right now they are playing in their conference games, and are not facing great competition...

With my TarHeels loss @ Maryland, I believe they have now lost a No. 1 seed in the tournament, (deservedly so) I wish Roy could get them to play defense...:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Aaron come on man! You're supposed to keep up with your own team! Yeah LSU's record looks really impressive, but it's probably not a good indicator of how good they really are since the SEC is down this season (especially the SEC West). They don't really have any marquee wins. I'd say their best is probably vs. South Carolina, or maybe at Tennessee. But you're right, Trent Johnson was a good hire and he has them heading in the right direction. A clear step up from John Brady, who was an excellent recruiter but not much of an X's and O's guy. I've only seen LSU play once this season, in a loss to Xavier. So I'm not that familiar with them.

Bandwagon, I think UNC is still in line for a number one seed. Having UConn, Oklahoma, and Michigan State all lose this week helped. And right now, they're on top of the ACC standings with a head-to-head win over Duke at Cameron Indoor. I think if they win the regular season ACC, and put up a decent showing in the ACC Tournament, they'll be a number one seed for sure. Their defense is something to worry about, though. Seems like they are suspect to getting burnt by good point guard play, whether it be Greivis Vasquez, Tyrese Rice, or Jeff Teague.

If yesterday was Selection Sunday, I think you would have seen Pitt get the number one overall seed, with UConn, Oklahoma, and North Carolina having the other number one seeds.

By the way, Memphis didn't quite make it to number 2...the ESPN/USA Today poll has them at number 4 (still overrated).

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Aaron, I was just about to tell you about the game tomorrow night and that you'd BETTER WATCH! You're lucky enough to have a basketball team that matters, take advantage! SEC West leader vs. SEC East leader....should be a good game. By the way, you guys have a Texas Tech transfer on the roster. Terry Martin...don't think he's much of a regular contributor though.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=288778&Q_SEASON=2006

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Florida is not a good subject around the Ohio State campus. :(
Did you go to Ohio State? Just curious.

Ohio State plays tonight too. They've lost three in a row to drop back to .500 in conference. I said earlier in this thread that they are a tournament lock...well it's looking a little dicey now. They need a win tonight against Penn State to get back on track. Won't be easy, the Nittany Lions are actually pretty good this season.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
How about them Jayhawks beating OU last night! First college basketball game I've watched this season, starting to get amped up for the big dance!

Memphis in the Final Four again! ROTFLMAO!

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
What's up, Pitt? Crazy year in college hoops - hopefully it extends into the tourney - I don't think anyone in the top 10 is a final four lock.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
What's up, Pitt? Crazy year in college hoops - hopefully it extends into the tourney - I don't think anyone in the top 10 is a final four lock.
Numbers 1 (Pitt) and 3 (Oklahoma) have already lost this week. Number 2 UConn may be up next...they play tonight at Marquette (7:00 on ESPN). Should be a good game.

Last year, all four number one seeds made the Final Four. I imagine we won't see a repeat of that with all the parity at the top of the rankings this year.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Ohio State plays tonight too. They've lost three in a row to drop back to .500 in conference. I said earlier in this thread that they are a tournament lock...well it's looking a little dicey now. They need a win tonight against Penn State to get back on track. Won't be easy, the Nittany Lions are actually pretty good this season.
I agree. It looks like we may have to go deep into the Big Ten Tournament now to have a good chance at the big dance. We lost to Purdue today.

Maybe we can win the NIT for the second straight year. :eek:

National Invitational Tournament Official Athletic Site