College football - Week 9

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
2007-11-14-horseshoe.jpg

Yes, that's where it's going down this weekend, at The Horseshoe in Columbus, Ohio. As Bill King has repeatedly said this week on Rivals Radio, this will essentially be the Big Ten Championship game when Penn State takes on Ohio State. I'm not one to root for the Buckeyes, but that's exactly what I'll be doing on Saturday night. Because if the Nittany Lions get by OSU, their remaining schedule sets up very nicely for them to go undefeated. And the last thing I want to see is another Big Ten school get throttled in the BCS National Championship Game. Should be a good game though in Columbus. The last night game they had at that stadium was in '05 when Texas went in there with Vince Young and beat them, so the kind of atmosphere they'll have at The Horseshoe on Saturday night doesn't happen too often. I like Penn State to, unfortunately, come out with the win. Their offense is very impressive with Daryll Clark getting some darkhorse Heisman consideration. They're saying in Happy Valley that this is the best offense Penn State has had since the days of Kerry Collins and Ki-Jana Carter.

Penn State/Ohio State isn't the only intriguing game this weekend though. Actually, I'm probably looking forward more to the Oklahoma State/Texas match-up. I want to see if the Cowboys can slow up Colt McCoy at all. Then you've got Georgia @ LSU, Alabama @ Tennessee, and Texas Tech @ Kansas (Wreck 'Em Tech!).

Also, you've got a game on Thursday night that is largely going unnoticed, but coming into this season, it was thought to be one of the biggest games of the year, right up there with Ohio State and USC. But now, no one really cares. Of course, I'm talking about Auburn and West Virginia. Who would have thought BOTH of these teams would be unranked going into their game?

And yes, we even have a little Tuesday night football with Ohio traveling to Philly to play Temple. Not exactly a match-up of national powerhouses...but hey, it's college football and nothing else will be on. The game's on ESPN2 tonight.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I think that Georgia - LSU game is going to be a freaking battle. I think Georgia is looking for revenge and they want to beat LSU so bad. If LSU comes out flat like they have a few times this year. Georgia is going to handle them big time.

Much as I loved my LSU Tigers I am going to predict a Georgia win. Prove me wrong Tigers, prove me wrong!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Joe Pa is back on top

It's funny how everyone, including Penn State fans, have been calling for Paterno's retirement, and now he's on the verge of taking them to the national championship game. Good for him. But I've gotta think this is his last year at the helm. The fact that he can't even coach from the sideline shows that he probably just can't do it physically anymore. And Penn State is having a pretty special season this year, I'm sure Joe Pa would love to go out on a high note.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Well I think that Georgia - LSU game is going to be a freaking battle. I think Georgia is looking for revenge and they want to beat LSU so bad. If LSU comes out flat like they have a few times this year. Georgia is going to handle them big time.

Much as I loved my LSU Tigers I am going to predict a Georgia win. Prove me wrong Tigers, prove me wrong!

I think LSU has the advantage at the line of scrimmage, both on offense and defense. LSU is a more physical team than Georgia...they'll line up on the very first play and bust you in the mouth, and continue to do it the whole game. Georgia, though, has better athletes at the skilled positions (Stafford, Moreno, A.J. Green & Massaquoi) and more talent overall. But, the game is in Baton Rouge. This game is tough to call...LSU is favored by 2. If Andrew Hatch and Jarrett Lee play solid and make good decisions, LSU has a good chance. But I think if Georgia plays up to their potential, they win. Could go either way...

Another interesting game to watch in the SEC will be Alabama @ Tennessee. The Vols hate the Crimson Tide, so you know they're going to show up and give their 'A' game and try to ruin 'Bama's season. Plus, they might be playing, in essence, to save Phillip Fulmer's job. Eric Berry and Tennessee are going to show up to play, so Alabama better be careful.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I hope my Buckeyes come out and play well. If Penn State gets by them and thats a real good posiblity then they may end up in the title game. I know everyone will hate it if that happens,but remember Penn State is not Ohio State. Just because they are from the Big Ten doesn't mean they will get killed. As I reminded some on SBS Ohio State used to be great in big games untill recently. Also Penn State has been good in bowl games recently. The Shoe will be rocking and its true we rarely get a night game in Columbus. I think it will be a night game next year against USC and I hope against Wisky. I'm sick of them always playing us at night and we never return the favor. Finally we get Penn State at night.

I think LSU and Georgia will be great. I'll have to keep up on the score with my cell phone since I'll be at The Shoe.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
remember Penn State is not Ohio State. Just because they are from the Big Ten doesn't mean they will get killed.

Yeah, I realize that, and it's a valid point I guess. But the thing is, the vast majority of America isn't clamoring for another BCS championship game featuring another Big Ten school. They're just not. The perception around the nation is that the Big Ten is weak...and rightfully so. That conference is down, especially with Michigan going through growing pains under Rich Rod. So if Penn State does get to the title game, it's going to be tough to sell that they belong there, especially with their extremely weak schedule. Ideally, we'll see a title game featuring schools from the Big XII and SEC...those are clearly the 2 best conferences

Last edited:

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I realize that, and it's a valid point I guess. But the thing is, the vast majority of America isn't clamoring for another BCS championship game featuring another Big Ten school. They're just not. The perception around the nation is that the Big Ten is weak...and rightfully so. That conference is down, especially with Michigan going through growing pains under Rich Rod. So if Penn State does get to the title game, it's going to be tough to sell that they belong there, especially with their extremely weak schedule. Ideally, we'll see a title game featuring schools from the Big XII and SEC...those are clearly the 2 best conferences

You are 100% correct. The Big 12 and The SEC are clearly the best 2 confrences. The truth is all of America is sick of seeing Ohio State. It shows in the polls and how people will vote. Penn State is totally different. People think the Big 10 is week because Ohio State gets killed in big games and yes Michigan is way down this year. Hey I remember when Oklahoma was down for a few years too. Anyway the rest of the Big 10 has done pretty good in bowls against The SEC. Penn State played Tennessee real good last year and Tennessee blew out Georgia. Plus Wisconisn usually always wins their bowl game against The SEC. Not to mention that Michigan pretty much kicked Florida's ass. The same team that lost to App State. People confuse the whole Big 10 with Ohio State.

Last but not least, I know myself I could care less what the rest of the country thinks. I'm smart enough to know the Big 10 isn't that great. Do you really think Penn State will care what the rest of the country thinks? Remember this one.......... If Penn State is undefeated the voters will put them in that title game because of Joe Pa. That man has been screwed out of atleast 3 titles. People want to complain about Auburn, what about the 94 Penn State team. I remember in 97 when the title was split between Michigan and Nebraska. The only reason Nebraska got a peice of that is because Osbourne was retiring.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I remember in 97 when the title was split between Michigan and Nebraska. The only reason Nebraska got a peice of that is because Osbourne was retiring.

I think you're being a little unfair to Nebraska there. After all, they did finish the season undefeated, and clobbered a very good (#3 ranked) Tennessee team in the Orange Bowl (42-17). On the other hand, Michigan benefited from a late game clock issue to barely hold off Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I think you're being a little unfair to Nebraska there. After all, they did finish the season undefeated, and clobbered a very good (#3 ranked) Tennessee team in the Orange Bowl (42-17). On the other hand, Michigan benefited from a late game clock issue to barely hold off Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Your probably right,but no one was talking about title split till Osbourne started his retirement talk.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Your probably right

You're damn right I am!!! :Smiley_wink:

Hey, good luck to your Buckeyes this weekend. Like I said in the original post, I'll definitely be rooting for them. I think Daryll Clark & Penn State will get at least 24 points, so Pryor needs to have a good game for the Bucks. Whatever the outcome, I hope it's a good game!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
You're damn right I am!!! :Smiley_wink:

Hey, good luck to your Buckeyes this weekend. Like I said in the original post, I'll definitely be rooting for them. I think Daryll Clark & Penn State will get at least 24 points, so Pryor needs to have a good game for the Bucks. Whatever the outcome, I hope it's a good game!

You know your shit man. Your a college guru like myself. I hope they can pull it off. Pryor will have to throw the ball. Good luck to your Red Raiders too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Good luck to your Red Raiders too.

Thank you, sir. Very nervous about that game...Tech usually plays like crap on the road, and they might get caught looking ahead to the Texas game. But, if they manage to get by Kansas and stay undefeated, and UT beats OK State...well, that game on November 1st just might be the biggest game in Texas Tech history.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital

Nebraska were the ones got F'd that year. We could of beat the piss out of Michigan that year. Osbourne's retirement had nothing to do with it, biased AP voter did. Admitedly a huge Husker fan here.;) Tennessee was a much better team than Michigan and Washington State, the only reason those two were in the Rose Bowl was because of the PAC 10/Big 10 Rose Bowl deal. Because of '97 I pray every year neither the PAC 10 or Big 10 make the Rose bowl. But I digress, we really need a playoff.

I'm rooting for Penn State and Joe Pa. Though it will be hard for them to make the big game, if Alabama and Texas go undefeated, no chance. Even a one loss USC and one loss Big 12 or SEC could put Penn State out. Fair, no. Realistic, yes. I like Penn State but could they really beat Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, or even Missourri? Probably not. Could they beat Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, or Florida? Doubtfull. The best chance Penn has to win the National champ is two one loss teams pull out a very underwhelming performance in the National Championship game and an undefeated Penn state beats the crap out of a quality (one loss or undefeated)No 3 or 4 team. They may have a chance then.:confused:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The best chance Penn has to win the National champ is two one loss teams pull out a very underwhelming performance in the National Championship game and an undefeated Penn state beats the crap out of a quality (one loss or undefeated)No 3 or 4 team. They may have a chance then.:confused:

No matter who wins the BCS Title game, or how they win it, they're guaranteed to be your national champs. The USA Today Coaches Poll is obligated to vote the winner of that game as number 1, there's no getting around it. And under the current system in college football (the BCS), the USA Today Poll is the only one that matters at the end of the season. So even if you have someone win by the score of, for fun let's say 2-0, they're the national champs. Period.

Now, what you could have is a situation like in 2003 when there was a dispute between LSU and USC. LSU beat Oklahoma in the BCS Title game, so they were given the national title accordingly. However, after USC beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl, the AP Poll voted USC as number 1. Looking back on that season, LSU is considered the outright national champs, but USC and others claim it was a split title since they won the AP vote. But at the end of the day, LSU has the trophy in Baton Rouge.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Nebraska were the ones got F'd that year. We could of beat the piss out of Michigan that year. Osbourne's retirement had nothing to do with it, biased AP voter did. Admitedly a huge Husker fan here.;) Tennessee was a much better team than Michigan and Washington State, the only reason those two were in the Rose Bowl was because of the PAC 10/Big 10 Rose Bowl deal. Because of '97 I pray every year neither the PAC 10 or Big 10 make the Rose bowl. But I digress, we really need a playoff.

I'm rooting for Penn State and Joe Pa. Though it will be hard for them to make the big game, if Alabama and Texas go undefeated, no chance. Even a one loss USC and one loss Big 12 or SEC could put Penn State out. Fair, no. Realistic, yes. I like Penn State but could they really beat Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, or even Missourri? Probably not. Could they beat Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, or Florida? Doubtfull. The best chance Penn has to win the National champ is two one loss teams pull out a very underwhelming performance in the National Championship game and an undefeated Penn state beats the crap out of a quality (one loss or undefeated)No 3 or 4 team. They may have a chance then.:confused:

If Alabama and Texas win out your right Penn State would have no shot. They would get the nod over USC. Now thats if Penn State can get by Ohio State. I say that because they killed Oregon State. They smoked that team real bad. I don't know if they would get in over a 1 lose SEC team either,but Joe Pa will fight and fight to be in that game. You think Urban Meyer fought hard. Shit Joe Pa has been screwed out of titles and title shots a lot and there are coaches out there that feel for him and a lot of old coaches that vote in the Harris Poll. It may be close,but I bet Penn State would get the node over a 1 lose SEC team. Your right though.... We need a playoff.

As for Nebrask beating Michigan. I have no idea. I know I would have been rooting for Nebraska(I'm a Buckeye fan). There are a lot of if's and butts in that situation. I do believe that Penn State was the better football team in 94. They were way more balanced than Nebraska and had a killer defense. They smoked that Oregon team in the Rose Bowl and they had one of the best defenses in the country. I also agree that I'm sick of the Big 10 Pac 10 Rose Bowl crap.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Chase Daniel - closer to Colt than we may have thought!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKAbA5AUgtY]YouTube - Chase Daniel's Ass-essment of Colt McCoy[/ame]

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If Andrew Hatch and Jarrett Lee play solid and make good decisions, LSU has a good chance. But I think if Georgia plays up to their potential, they win. Could go either way...

Another interesting game to watch in the SEC will be Alabama @ Tennessee. The Vols hate the Crimson Tide, so you know they're going to show up and give their 'A' game and try to ruin 'Bama's season. Plus, they might be playing, in essence, to save Phillip Fulmer's job. Eric Berry and Tennessee are going to show up to play, so Alabama better be careful.

Well you were correct in that both of these games were good. Now we know that Georgia did indeed play at their full potential. I knew once they got up on LSU like that it would be almost impossible for LSU to come back. LSU's give aways certainly didn't help though.

Tennessee played Alabama tough no doubt about it. Good call! :) Do you think with this showing even though they did not win that Fulmer is safe at least till the end of the season?