Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
ufgator.jpg
alabama_logo_feature.gif

It'll be Gators vs. Elephants....uh, I mean Crimson Tide...this weekend in Atlanta to decide the SEC Championship. Perhaps the biggest game of the season so far, it'll also very likely be a championship semifinal game with the winner moving on to the BCS Nat'l Championship in Miami. 'Bama is defnitely in if they win, no doubt there. Florida would still have to jump Texas in the BCS to get to number two, but in all likelihood, that wouldn't be a problem. The Tide is getting no respect going into the game, being that they're 10 point under dogs. And that's probably because they don't have the flash on the offensive side of the ball like Florida does. But, I think Alabama has the edge in two critical categories...defense and coaching. They say defense wins championships, well we will see. And don't get me wrong, Urban Meyer is an excellent coach. But if you forced me to choose, there's no question I'd want Saban on my sideline. However, I still like Florida to win.

Then of course you'll have the Longhorns rooting for Mizzou Saturday night in Kansas City. With an Oklahoma loss in the Big XII Championship Game, that'd likely open the door for Texas to slide into the BCS Championship Game. USC would still have an outside chance. They would have won their conference (assuming they beat UCLA), while Texas did not...that might go a long way with the voters. But, Oklahoma is going to win anyway, so all that is moot.

The ACC Championship features Boston College and Virginia Tech. Does anyone care outside of Boston or Blacksburg? I'll still watch the game because I love college football, but that game just doesn't have a lot of mass appeal.

Ball State and Buffalo get it started Friday night in the MAC Championship. Ball State is looking to stay undefeated, but Turner Gill might have something to say about that.

Also, don't be shocked if Cincinnati, the Big East champion, loses on Saturday. They already have the Orange Bowl locked up, and that flight out to Hawaii is going to be brutal. I see a let down coming for the Bearcats.

Don't forget to vote in the poll!

41-40001_a.jpg
Florida-757519.gif

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Hey, I know you hate Ohio State and all,but I just wanted to say thank you. You do a great job on this forum and keep the college football talk going. I appreciate what you do. If I knew how to give you rep I would.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Hey, I know you hate Ohio State and all,but I just wanted to say thank you. You do a great job on this forum and keep the college football talk going. I appreciate what you do. If I knew how to give you rep I would.

Nah..."hate" is such a strong word. "Strongly dislike" may be the operative phrase when it comes to Ohio State. But you, Ehilbert, well you're the man! And don't worry about the rep points. I don't know anything about it either.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Breaking news out of Auburn. Tommy Tuberville appears to be on his way out, according to Auburn's Rivals site - Auburn Tigers Football -- AuburnSports.com

I didn't think they'd make a move, but I was wrong. Rumor has it, Mississippi State may be on Tuberville's radar.

610x.jpg

"Go to hell, Nick. You've cost me my job. Jerk."

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Tuberville to Mississippi State wouldn't surprise me in the least... The way this league keeps recycling coaches.
He'd be wise to not take that job, unless that is all that's available. Mississippi State is not a very winnable place. The competition is much too tough, and they simply don't have the facilities to compete on a high level.

Florida 30, Bama 20

Last edited:

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
As much as I hate Florida, I want them to win. Every season I root for either several undefeated teams, or all with at least one loss (Nebraska being the exception of course). The more chaos in the BCS, hopefully the shorter it's lifespan, or so I would like to believe. I do think Florida will win, and for what it's worth I think Oklahama is better than Texas, sorry all you Longhorn fans.:cool:

mccastle

Oct 24, 2008
South Louisiana
Heard on Baton Rouge radio this morning that Tubbs will be paid 3 million within 30 days and another 3 million within a year. He is laughing all the way to the bank. I am surprised he put up with that school as long as he did. I would have told them to stick it after the Petrino deal a couple of years ago.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
As much as I hate Florida, I want them to win. Every season I root for either several undefeated teams, or all with at least one loss (Nebraska being the exception of course). The more chaos in the BCS, hopefully the shorter it's lifespan, or so I would like to believe. I do think Florida will win, and for what it's worth I think Oklahama is better than Texas, sorry all you Longhorn fans.:cool:

You know I was the same way. I thought the more one loss teams the more bitching and this thing will end. Nope didn't happen. I thought yes a split title USC/LSU. This thing has to end now. Nope didn't happen. Even Auburn going undefeated in the SEC and winning every game didn't matter. They were left out and nothing happened. I figured the SEC would have went nuts and pulled out of the BCS. That never happened. I guess we're stuck with a super crappy flawed system. Hey I'm a Buckeye fan and even I know they didn't deserve to be in that title game last year. If there would have been a playoff it wouldn't have mattered that 7 teams lost that were in front of Ohio State. The whole thing sucks and I think it will take a couple confrences getting screwed at the same time for anyone to pull out.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The whole thing sucks and I think it will take a couple confrences getting screwed at the same time for anyone to pull out.

No one will ever back out...too much money to be lost. We're stuck with the BCS until at least 2014 since ESPN just signed the new deal to extend it.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Good news (for me). Mike Leach has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Washington job. Now, all Tech fans have to worry about is Auburn...

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
One glaring problem with that. Texas beat Oklahoma.

By that logic Tech should be in the Championship game since they beat Texas. Oklahoma beat Tech by 44, Texas beat Oklhoma by 10, so by extension, Oklahoma beats Texas by 34. Since it was on a nuetral field I will move an extra 10 points to Texas so Oklahoma still beats 'em by 14, if that makes any sense.

I just happen to think that right now Oklahoma is playing much better than Texas. If Texas had beaten Tech this wouldn't be an issue. I still think it should be decided on the field though.

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I really don't understand why the money would dissappear with a playoff. The playoffs would hold much more national appeal than most of the bowl games do, and they could still have the bowls. I don't think the playoff would take anything away from the lesser bowls either. The only people watching a bowl between say Louisiana Monroe and Miami of Ohio are only fans of those teams now, don't see how that would change with a playoff. Use the major bowls as a vehicle for playoffs. Tons of money in it IMO.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Then of course you'll have the Longhorns rooting for Mizzou Saturday night in Kansas City. With an Oklahoma loss in the Big XII Championship Game, that'd likely open the door for Texas to slide into the BCS Championship Game. USC would still have an outside chance. They would have won their conference (assuming they beat UCLA), while Texas did not...that might go a long way with the voters. But, Oklahoma is going to win anyway, so all that is moot.
get to vote in the poll!

I thought a team that didn't win there conference couldn't go to the championship game? I thought they made that rule when Nebraska went without winning the Big XII back in 2001...:scratch:

Tuberville to Mississippi State wouldn't surprise me in the least... The way this league keeps recycling coaches. He'd be wise to not take that job, unless that is all that's available. Mississippi State is not a very winnable place. The competition is much too tough, and they simply don't have the facilities to compete on a high level.

Good call. I think so, too...:)

Florida-757519.gif

Florida 33 Alabama 30

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I thought a team that didn't win there conference couldn't go to the championship game? I thought they made that rule when Nebraska went without winning the Big XII back in 2001...:scratch:

Nope, there's no such rule. Nebraska wasn't the only time it happened either...Oklahoma went to the championship game in '03 after losing to Kansas State in the Big XII Championship. Voters might take it into consideration, but there's nothing in writing that states a team who doesn't win their conference can't play in the Nat'l Championship. So...Texas is still very much alive.