Cleveland

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So I've been going to Cleveland a lot lately for work.
Hanging out near Case Western, doing some work for the Cleveland Heights Schools.

I'm looking for some recommendations on restaurants and bars in the east side of Cleveland.

Nothing too fancy (the boss would lynch me if I turned in an expense report with a $100 meal, but definitely no (cr)Applebees either.

Who's got some favorites over there?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Case Western High. Bing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YLD_9lRGU]YouTube - ground hog day scene[/ame]

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Head a bit east on Mayfield road. You will run into the little Italy neighborhood. Lots of good restaurants and bakeries. Mama Santa's has good / cheap food (southern Italian & pizza). Corbo's bakery for a cannoli across the street. Further to the east is the Coventry neighborhood. Some good restaurants & bars after you make a right turn from Mayfield onto Coventry rd. Winking Lizard tavern has good food and a great beer list (tap & bottle). Coventry Hunan for good Chinese, Coventry Paninis' for big sandwiches.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Cool, thanks.
We hit the Winking Lizard once. They have a really good beer list!
There's a place around the corner from our hotel called the Barking Spider (love that name) that we're going to hit one of these days.

There's a place called the Uptown Grille that we've hit a couple of times thats pretty good, but we want to check out some more places.

Drove through Little Italy a couple of times, it looks like Tony Sopranos and the boys should be sitting outside drinking coffee. I'll have to check out some of those places for sure.

Thanks for the tips!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM]YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt[/ame]

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSW-OM8h8c]YouTube - cleveland rocks[/ame]

It's my favorite, large city in Ohio :)

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Too conservative and too spread out.

Sounds like you knew some UC girls???

More Cleveland:

If you make it out to the west side (my side of town), try Melt bar and grilled on Detroit & Warren (Lakewood). Great beer list, specializing in oversized sandwiches based on toasted cheese. Best fries in town. Will be covered on the food channel in the next few weeks, so the crowds will grow.

Fatheads on Lorain and Columbia (microbrewery, North Olmsted) is known for big sandwiches and good pizzas.

The great lakes brewing company is on west 25th and Lorain. Good food and the beer is better than the food. Check out the west side market across the street from great lakes - a 125+ year old market with food, produce, and much more. The sausage sandwiches with kraut make a great and fast lunch. Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

Slyman's deli on St. Clair and east 31st (between downtown and university circle) is a must visit if you like corned beef sandwiches. Expect a wait at lunchtime. Big and lean beef. Best I've had outside of Manhattan.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sounds like you knew some UC girls???

More Cleveland:

If you make it out to the west side (my side of town), try Melt bar and grilled on Detroit & Warren (Lakewood). Great beer list, specializing in oversized sandwiches based on toasted cheese. Best fries in town. Will be covered on the food channel in the next few weeks, so the crowds will grow.

Fatheads on Lorain and Columbia (microbrewery, North Olmsted) is known for big sandwiches and good pizzas.

The great lakes brewing company is on west 25th and Lorain. Good food and the beer is better than the food. Check out the west side market across the street from great lakes - a 125+ year old market with food, produce, and much more. The sausage sandwiches with kraut make a great and fast lunch. Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

Slyman's deli on St. Clair and east 31st (between downtown and university circle) is a must visit if you like corned beef sandwiches. Expect a wait at lunchtime. Big and lean beef. Best I've had outside of Manhattan.

Aaaah yes. The girls from CCM were good to Hectic.

If I can get enough time, we'll shoot for the west side. I'm meeting a bud that lives in town tomorrow, and that will probably use up my exploring time for this trip, but we'll be in town the next two weeks too.

We had a little extra time for lunch last week and we hit Corky & Lenny's for lunch one of the days. That was pretty good. It reminded me just a little bit like Sarge's Deli in New York. (Just a little.)

Thanks again for the tips!