Circuit City To Close All Stores

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
This was widely speculated but I didnt' think it would actually happen.

I know a lot of people prefer Best Buy but I am NOT one of them, I am a Circuit City person and this sucks. Plus, the CC is the only local electronics store here in Johnstown, PA.

Although, I may be VERY interested in the Liquidation Sales !!!!!!!!!

Sad Day--I love Circuit City.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
This does not surprise me at all. Their stores were more or less horrible.
how so?

The only bad thing I can say is that they had NOWHERE near enough people working on the floor. My local CC had a pretty well trained staff that was pretty knowledable but I've heard that some other stores were not as well trained.

But these days, who doesn't do the research online first and then walk in knowing what you want to buy and then weight the cost vs. features options in store?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Their online sales may continue--that's a $1 billion business for them. In that case, they could still honor warranties. They'd be fools to surrender that to Amazon.

Retail electronics is tough. I'd much rather buy a Dell PC that I could configure online with the latest stuff than buy what's been sitting on a retail floor for six months.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Help was hard to find. Once you found help, they usually were not that educated. If that's the case, I might as well order on line.

The stores (at least the ones around here) usually seemed messy.

PACanesFan

Oct 13, 2008
All the ones I've been to have been cheaper then BB. Sometimes as much as 20%. For someone who knows exactly what they want, 20% cheaper is 20% cheaper.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Sign of the times, I hope they are around when I get my tax return. Although we decided to sit on that money I'm sure there will be prices we can't refuse.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
According to the articles I've read (both from yahoo and fox news) the liquidation sales will start this weekend.

But beware because they are sure to RAISE the ticket price only to discount it providing you with very little of a deal.

The closer they get to March (the expected month that the liquidation will be complete) the steeper the discounts will be.

I've been stocking up on batteries at KB Toys for the past couple of weeks because they are going out of business too.

I will be seriously considering a nice new surround sound set up if they're discounted enough.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think most of the stuff will be hit or miss...floor models and whatever is in the stockrooms. The liquidator will also bring in some crap from other stores to try and move it. Most of the "good" stuff and stock in the warehouses will probably be sold off in larger lots to other distributors, and/or returned to the manufacturer.

That's usually the way these liquidation sales run.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
we had a local CC close late last year and the liquidation sale was worthless. prices were often higher than you'd normally expect to pay. that's been the case with a few liquidation sales I've been to lately. Unfortunately, there have been more than a few over the past year.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well the news crews from local TV stations were doing news stories on the subject locally. I went there this morning to get some memory for a laptop I am working on getting back into service.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
The uninformed consumers don't help with getting good prices, either, during some of these closings. During the CompUSA closing days around here, I saw a lot of people shopping cameras that were still more expensive than online stores, and even some local shops. Even though the prices weren't good, the words "Sale" and "Liquidation" got people thinking that the prices were good, so they were buying.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
The uninformed consumers don't help with getting good prices, either, during some of these closings. During the CompUSA closing days around here, I saw a lot of people shopping cameras that were still more expensive than online stores, and even some local shops. Even though the prices weren't good, the words "Sale" and "Liquidation" got people thinking that the prices were good, so they were buying.
That's the Guitar Center way of doing business. Everything is always on sale and they are always having the "biggest blowout of the year!". And very rarely are there any actual killer deals.

Wolf

Rainbow Sherbet WILL ALWAYS BE ICE CREAM!
Oct 11, 2008
Koop's Basement
www.wolfyre13.com
All of the CC stores in Arizona has been closed since Christmas. But now that sad all the rest of the stores are going to close. It like the old Best Products and Service Merchandise shutting down.