Circuit City nearly out of Business

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

My bad. I was thinking of those old phone line modems.
  2. MM

MM Administrator

FiOS users get a combo modem/router. :) ;)
  3. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Best Buy can suck it.

I hate going into a Best Buy because I can never find anything. We have a local CC that is a few minutes away and a BB that is about 45 min away. Our CC is staying open.

I must say that despite my love for CC our local one needs some upgrades...it is DARK in there. I looked up at the ceiling the other day and they had about half the lights out and in no way were they doing it to save energy--it was in a sporadic pattern that screamed "we're not going to pay to get new lightbulbs."

Even with that I"d take CC any day. I like the layout better and I can always find stuff. I have to hunt for items in BB and that pisses me off.
  4. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I like Best Buy just to hang around and look at all the TV's and gadgets. Plus I just got my Slacker there. Circuit City seems more serious. Like buy something or get out of here.
  5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Don't ever buy extended warranties. They're a sucker bet.
  6. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Not on a $3,000 TV they aren't.
  7. jwt873

jwt873 Member

The Associated Press: Circuit City files for Chapter 11 protection

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

They have to be. Otherwise, CC wouldn't make so much money off of them.
  9. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I bow before your FiOS. My coax is not worthy.

Lucky bastard...
  10. Casual Fan

Meme is right. My now-laid-off friend says that they lost money on every laptop they sold and only turned a profit if you bought a warranty.
  11. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

Again, you are comparing a ~$500/$1,000 laptop versus a $3,000 LCD TV. No comparison. Money well invested.
  12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

It doesn't matter how much the item cost. The price of the extended warranty is related to the price of the item.

Think about it this way: if extended warranties were good for the consumer, they would be bad for the retailer. They take the price of replacing and repairing the products, add a hefty markup, then divide it by the number of suckers who will pay for them. You're better off putting that money aside in a savings account and earning interest on it.
  13. IdRatherBeSkiing

Only the amount of money you pay for the warrentee. Odds are you won't have an issue in which case you just spent extra money.
  14. Best Buy has a staff that is friendly and knows what is going on, CC's staff seemed to be lagging in knowledge and was weird (one 400 lb staffer was hitting on me hardcore while trying to sell a product to me). Best Buy has a better lit, more current looking store as well. CC was enclosed and dark to me, not so appealing to a shopper.
  15. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

possibly, but what if I do experience a problem? IMO it's money well spent/invested.
  16. IdRatherBeSkiing

I guess it depends on how big the problem is. And it would have to be a manufacturing defect. Odds of a manufacturing defect occurring AFTER the manufacturers (1 year??) warrenntee are pretty low.
  17. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

No, if ANYTHING goes wrong with the TV within 3 years AFTER the 1 year warranty, I am covered. I look at it this way; I'd rather invest the $323 extended warranty which I CAN afford, than spend another $2K or $3k towards a replacement TV if this one dies. Make sense?
  18. IdRatherBeSkiing

I understand. I am just pointing out that the odds will be that you will just be out the $323 and have a fully functional TV.
  19. Casual Fan

Warranties are a gamble. Whether or not you buy one depends on your tolerance to risk.
  20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

And they are priced so that the issuer always profits from that gamble, and profits handsomely. In other words, they are a "sucker bet".