Circuit City nearly out of Business

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

A friend of mine deals with both of them a lot. He basically trains and helps them inform people about SIRIUS. I think he thinks the opposite. It might be different from area to area really.

I just about get fed up with being told BS answers. It's so unacceptable in my opinion to BS when customers are asking questions. If you don't know the answer offhand and don't have a way to find out, tell them you don't know.
  2. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

I've done 3-year warranties with both BB and CC and way prefer CC. Best Buy looked for reasons not to replace units, CC didn't even ask any questions. Maybe that explains the going out of business.
  3. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

Sadly, that is probably one of the reasons they are in trouble. Their return policy is the main reason I like them. If they move more to a BB policy of treating you like a scammer every time you want to return something, then I'll avoid them just like I avoid BB.
  4. MM

MM Administrator

I tried to return a video camera to BB with the extended warranty. I just wanted a new one. They wanted to send it somewhere to be evaluated, then fixed. I said F that.
  5. SISO

SISO Member

Yea they opened a Circuit City here recently (one of those smaller markets). In fact, they've opened a lot of Circuit City's lately throughout the country. They expanded to much when they just aren't clicking with consumers. I'm not entirely sure why, they have pretty good deals. Maybe there is a reason in upper management. At any given time the local circuit city may have 10-15 cars (if that) in the parking lot and Best Buy will have quadruple that.
  6. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I haven't been in a Circuit City for about 3 years now, I prefer Best Buy. But a new CC has opened up, about a mile from my house several months ago.
  7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Not a chance. Extended warranties are a cash cow.

I hate Circuit City. Bad selection, rotten return policy, and they were in bed with those DIVX crooks. I'll be glad to see them go.

Best Buy isn't much better. I get most of my electronics from Fry's or Amazon. That Amazon Prime thing pays off if you order a bunch of $2 air fresheners and 70 lb amps. :)
  8. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

It's sad that Circuit City's in trouble.

Here in Michigan, they shut down several stores a few years ago, including their store in Traverse City, which was in business for only a few years.

I almost can't stand Best Buy since they tend to be packed with people every time I go there.

I bought and installed a new car stereo at ABC Warehouse a few years ago and the damn thing kept screwing up, so I ended up returning it. I bought and installed the same stereo at Circuit City and they ACTUALLY did a better job. Come to find out, the bastards at ABC didn't install a ground in the system.

With the way the economy's going, it's sad that the growth we saw in the 1990's is slowing down.
  9. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

While it's sad to see competition for BB go, I've never had a good experience with CC. Higher prices, worse selection, poor store layout, Circuit City just sucks. I've always been partial to BB, but I stay out on weekends due the the huge crowds. I've probably spent over 10K at Best Buy over the years. 2 HDTV's, 2 laptops, 2 Sirius radios (1 SL2),DVD players, CD's, and all sorts of other stuff. Racked up a lot of rewards.

In the southwest Best Buy has got fierce competition with Fry's Electronics. Fry's is like geek heaven, they have just about everything. The only problem with Fry's is it's absolutely massive, and kind of intimidating. I tell ya the staff there is VERY knowledgeable, most of them are uber geeks. If I need anything besides your most basic electronic/computer stuff I go there if I'm near one.
  10. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I am not saying they will stop selling them .... they just won't be as 'no-hassle' as before.
  11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Maybe. I won't care. I've never bought one.
  12. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

Exactly. A lot more things would happen like that. Best Buy would be able to do what they want and still make a good business out of it. If they really saw financial success from Circuit City going under it would be cool if they put more emphasis on training and things to help the employees, but I'm doubting thats where the extra money would go.
  13. Sirius Rich

Sirius Rich Well-Known Member

If CC and BB merged would they have a monopoly on consumer electronics?
    TSS Taylor likes this.
  14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

No way. There's still Fry's for big box stores, and the loads of internet competition. Check out Amazon Prime. 2nd day delivery, no shipping, no sales tax (in Texas, at least) for $70/year.
  15. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Thats a question whose answer is best left to the NAB.
  16. roscoryan

roscoryan DRC Graphics Guru

17. me_rubin

me_rubin Member

If CC goes who is next?

I was never a big fan of CC but I did compare their prices and availability of products to BB. I also used them for their extended warranty options for my Sat radio's and God knows you need it with those.

It is hit or miss in terms of product knowledge depending on the store, but at one CC their car install was not too bad, and I would go into the bay and ask questions of thier installers for help with some of my installs. They were very helpful with my install of a new radio for my Honda Civic. Even though they did not sell me the service they still took the time to answer my questions.

I would think they should hand in there through christmas. I know a lot of retailers do half of their yearly business between now and the end of the year.

But the bottom line is the bottom line. CC has already closed some stores around the DC area.

[​IMG]

I guess the only bright light would be the sales of the remaining stock that would be in time for the holliday.
  18. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy for Circuit City corparate. The employees on the other hand, well, I hate to see anyone lose their job..

I think it was about a year ago Circuit City layed off a bunch of employees simply because they had too many years in the company, and was making too much. They then went out and hired a bunch of newer, cheaper employees. Then 6 months later, had the audacity to try to hire their old workers back.

F Circuit City.
  19. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

20. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

these idiots will charge you money to upgrade your regular car stereo to one with a 1000watts of engine squeal.

I can't imagine why they have no business.