Circuit City Liquidation

DavisD

Dec 7, 2008
I have read in other places that people have bought the store displays from retailers and the sat radios had unlimited demo service.
Has anyone had any experience with this? I wonder if one would be able to get a demo unit from CC during its liquidation and have unlimited demo service?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
In my experience, sales people do what they're gonna do (especially when about to be fired). Be friendly, intimate, and see how it goes. I'm not one that is averse to paying off the help.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
The Circuit City store near me had people out in clown suits today carrying signs that said Liquidation Sale, 30% off".

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Demo units are not property of SIRIUS XM. I'm sure that some people will get a great deal on those radios. But I would suspect that SIRIUS XM will de-activate all of the Demos under Circuit City' account when they have liquidated, since clearly those radios aren't being used to sell more radios.

DavisD

Dec 7, 2008
Makes sense

TSS, you are probably right that SiriusXM would probably disable the radios since they will not be used in CC anymore for potential sales. The stories I have heard before about people getting demo units and never getting disabled were from stores that remained in business unlike CC. But if you can get a unit at a good price then it may be worth it for the possibility.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I saw those guys yesterday. It was cold as hell here, too.

I went in. I was disappointed that the 30% percent off was for wires. :scratch:

It was 10% off the rest.

Oh well, I don't need anything anyway.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Man they can't even liquidate right.

30% off...wires.

wtf?

Wires are marked up at least 200% to start with. (I used to work for monster)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My guess is that the demo radios are property of SiriusXM and not the store, and thus cannot be sold.

No they have sold many of those demo radios over the years. So, I think they are just regular radios that have a display subscription on them.

I went in. I was disappointed that the 30% percent off was for wires. :scratch:

It was 10% off the rest.

They aren't giving much off for this being a liquidation sale. But as time goes on they will drop the price, because I don't think many will be fooled with the current prices.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
No they have sold many of those demo radios over the years. So, I think they are just regular radios that have a display subscription on them.

The demos probably will not have the XL channels but still a good deal if the subscription is FREE.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
You are correct, no XL channels on the display units 99% of the time, but still, a good deal if the radio is cheap and you of course could add your own sub.

Yeah, I am hoping as time goes on, the sales will get better. When teh Toys r Us went out of business, they started off with 20-30 percent off, but a week later it was down to 50-60 off, and then the next weekend, my Gameboy Micro I bought was 20 dollars cheaper.

So, I'm holding out.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Glad I Did a Search and Found This Thread

The locals were pretty disappointed at the 10% mark down here in SW Missouri. I intend on wearing my bartering hat when I visit the red and black store today. The associates weren't too helpful in the past so I'll try my luck with a black shirted super and see if he/she'll follow the companies guidelines regarding "all adjustments must be approved by the liquidator's on-site managers". If the super is smart (requires knowledge of whether the the item(s) will sell quickly or not at all) they'll bargain in good faith and allow me to reach an agreement that won't make them feel like they got ripped off.

Good old European bartering is a disappearing art that I enjoy. Naturally I'll share my experience later today. Wish me luck.