Christmas lights.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Who else hates hanging xmas lights evey year? I sure do.

Who in DRC land would buy a set of lights that you could remotely change color patterns to any combo you wanted? Like, red white and blue for veterans and 4th of july, or purple and orange for Halloween, or blue and white (is that easter colors?), or red, gold and green for rasta-mas, or what ever you celebrate. - that way we could just leave em up all year.
Could even set it to run your team colors during the super bowl ect.
Had a boy or a girl? flip on blue or pink.
Wife's/GF's on the rag? flip on red...:whistle:

or does this exist already? (it must...)

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
We leave the ones on our roof up all year round, we don't turn them on but the stay up there on the roof, then we just have to put up the ones under the over hang and around the door and railing which takes an hour tops maybe between the 2 of us to do... It's not that much work...

People I find are not decorating the same anymore which I find sad... It isn't like it use to be..

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
This is pretty much how we keep things year round.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I'm sure you all remember this guy's light display...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks]YouTube - Christmas Lights Gone Wild[/ame]

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Imagine having to be his neighbor...Id have to leave for the holidays. - or take a chainsaw to the power polls in front of his house.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
This house is just down the street from my Dad's..

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/2059141]Festival of Lights - Newmarket Ontario on Vimeo[/ame]

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
We've just made putting up the Christmas lights part of the season. In fact it starts off all the parties. We build a big ass bonfire and make a night of it. After several rounds of brewkies we fire up the lights and we've been known to sing a few Christmas carols too.

We've got great neighbors and they love it as much as we do! When you invite people to participate and make it fun it isn't such a chore. I am looking forward to Friday Night right now!

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
meh, I don't mind it. Its one of those things you can do while drinking an octoberfest, and actually get pleasure out of the outcome. I just did mine yesterday

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
People I find are not decorating the same anymore which I find sad... It isn't like it use to be..
I'm noticing that too...

I've gotten kinda lazy with the Christmas decorating too. I just find myself hanging the same old strands of lights along the fence and around the house.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
My house would cost a thousand dollars over the holidays just to cover it in the basic lights. Not to mention heavy use of ladders. All for a house nobody drives by. I do have fun with Christmas Tree lights though:bigthumbup:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Who else hates hanging xmas lights evey year? I sure do.

Who in DRC land would buy a set of lights that you could remotely change color patterns to any combo you wanted? Like, red white and blue for veterans and 4th of july, or purple and orange for Halloween, or blue and white (is that easter colors?), or red, gold and green for rasta-mas, or what ever you celebrate. - that way we could just leave em up all year.
Could even set it to run your team colors during the super bowl ect.
Had a boy or a girl? flip on blue or pink.
Wife's/GF's on the rag? flip on red...:whistle:

or does this exist already? (it must...)

this does exist already.

I work for a major lighting company that has a lot of real cutting edge LED product. We make a low profie reel series of RGB LED's that can cycle through colors or by using a 3 channel dimmer, you can create any color you want, including white. It is basically a ton of LED's on a 47ft reel of tape so you could run it on your gutters or whatever on your house and never see it during the day.

The problem is that it would be very pricey to do a whole house because not only do you need the LED's but also the power supplies to run it because it is a 24v system. The good news is that it lasts about 50,000 hours so you'd never have to replace it.

It wasn't designed for this, it was designed more for high end architectural lighting (cove lighting, accent lighting, etc) but it is awesome stuff.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I love doing the Christmas lights. This is the first year I actually have some room to spread out and get creative. I just got done doing my first set of lights tonight.

More to come tomorrow and hopefully pictures.

I mean, nothing fancy but I love doing it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't do it. I know Mrs Hectic would get cold and I'd be outside by myself all Clark W Griswold on the ladder with some of the little lights not twinkling till all hours of the night.

Same same for the take down.

I we had kids, I'm sure it would be different.

This is a buddies house. He goes all out.
(He was a little nervous about getting hassled, so he took the music off, but you get the idea.)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rdensic#p/u/2/KyGiBc12dCo

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Is that barrels of oil, I was thinking this was Sirius_Rich's house! LOL

meh, I don't mind it. Its one of those things you can do while drinking an octoberfest, and actually get pleasure out of the outcome. I just did mine yesterday

That what i am talking about make it a social event! :)

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I don't do it. I know Mrs Hectic would get cold and I'd be outside by myself all Clark W Griswold on the ladder with some of the little lights not twinkling till all hours of the night.

Same same for the take down.

I we had kids, I'm sure it would be different.

This is a buddies house. He goes all out.
(He was a little nervous about getting hassled, so he took the music off, but you get the idea.)
YouTube - rdensic's Channel

Nevermind. I was asking about the sound but I just reread your original post and saw that he took it off. OOps. Still cool.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Nevermind. I was asking about the sound but I just reread your original post and saw that he took it off. OOps. Still cool.

Yeah, I think he should have left the sound on. It makes so muck more sense that way. He has one of those fm transmitters, so you can sit in your car and listen. The whole thing is pretty crazy and lasts about 20 minutes before it starts again.