Christmas channels underway.

frazier52000

Jun 21, 2009
Holly kicked off at midnight with "Little Drummer Boy" by Mannheim Steamroller; Holiday Traditions with "Let It Snow" by Jo Stafford. What do you think of the Christmas music channels so far?

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I got to hear the launch of Holly for the first time ever. With it still being warm in Wisconsin, it's a little hard to imagine we're going into the holidays, but be it so.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Awesome listened to them on the way in this morning. Though I noticed Sirius XM LOVE online (at least on my iPhone for whatever reason I can't get the regular online player to work) but that that channel which is supposed to be holly when played through my iPhone it is playing the regular channel 3 content not the holiday content (my sat rad player in my car was playing the holiday stuff on that channel)

Any ideas?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Awesome listened to them on the way in this morning. Though I noticed Sirius XM LOVE online (at least on my iPhone for whatever reason I can't get the regular online player to work) but that that channel which is supposed to be holly when played through my iPhone it is playing the regular channel 3 content not the holiday content (my sat rad player in my car was playing the holiday stuff on that channel)

Any ideas?

Seems online well at least on the iPhone/iPod Touch Sirius XM App that Holly is using the Limited Engagements Channel, so this means they won't be using Sirius XM Love online.

However, on the sats they are using Sirius Love and 40s on 4 channels.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Ya 40 on 40 online is playing Holiday Traditions (which isn't bad music by the way) but when I check limited engagements channel (I just looked at it I did not tune in) it wasn't show Xmas music over there either.

Hmmm....

siriusdude

Nov 19, 2008
While I love Christmas music I feel it is too early for them to be playing it. It shouldn't start at least until the day after Thanksgiving.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Actually scratch that. I pulled up the wrong engagments channel on the iPhone app.

Well in Arizona (Phoenix area to be exact) it was in the 30's and 40's this morning so for us that's cold and winter weather. I welcome the Christmas music!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What I really like is that on the Skydock and ExpressRC the channel icons have changed to Christmas Logo's. I doubt that they will do it for the online version. This is why I like the XM system better than the Sirius one, on the fly logo and channel changes in an instant!

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's 54 degrees in Columbus, OH. 62 expected tomorrow, with other highs through the week in the 50's.

It's too damn nice to be thinking about snow. :)

I think part of the "problem" is that they're trying to lump the winter songs "Let It Snow" in with the songs relating to Christmas and the birth of Jesus, etc. It's almost like it's two seperate groups of songs. Save the "Jesus songs" for December 20th or so.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
What I really like is that on the Skydock and ExpressRC the channel icons have changed to Christmas Logo's. I doubt that they will do it for the online version. This is why I like the XM system better than the Sirius one, on the fly logo and channel changes in an instant!

You think they could do that for the Sirius app on the iPhone sheesh lol.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You think they could do that for the Sirius app on the iPhone sheesh lol.

Well the iPhone app does download icons, but the question is will they add those in the mix for it to download them to the device. Since this requires some manual effort on Sirius's part, don't hold your breath! Now if this was being handled by the XM side I'd say we have a good chance. Unfortunately as time goes on the XM side is becoming SIRIALIZED! LOL

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
That totally sucks and it's pure laziness.

Since the channels are the same seriously how hard is it to just take the images that XM seems to be using and apply them where appropriate. Seems like it would be a 10 minute job. Then come back 1 and 1/2 month later to change it back.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I can't complain about them starting the channels so early... because all I've found myself listening to today has been Holiday Traditions. :bigthumbup:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I am enjoying them too and the bottom line is no one is being forced to listen to them. So, it shouldn't be a problem that they have them now for the rest of us that want to listen to them.

kryptonite: JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON! I am glad they are including all forms of Christmas music. I think they learned from years gone by that trying to cull CHRIST out of CHRISTMAS got them a lot of flack!

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
That totally sucks and it's pure laziness.

Since the channels are the same seriously how hard is it to just take the images that XM seems to be using and apply them where appropriate. Seems like it would be a 10 minute job. Then come back 1 and 1/2 month later to change it back.

Yeah, but with the Sirius radios, it requires the logos to be downloaded, which can take a minute or more. Then, the radios have to reboot.

And that doesn't include the issues with a few auto OEMs. (I think Ford is one of the ones known to be the most buggy.)

Changing "on the fly" isn't an issue with the online side, though.

Goodeye

Oct 16, 2008
Arizona
Ya but online they don't change the names, or the logos. On the Sirius side that is.

Though you XMers are now forced to Sirius online radio portal right?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Ya but online they don't change the names, or the logos. On the Sirius side that is.

Though you XMers are now forced to Sirius online radio portal right?

Nope its the other way around Sirius Internet Radio is now streaming from the XM domain.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I don't want to hear that stuff til December 1st at the earliest. Even then I prefer the originals over a remade song by the umpteenth hot new artist.