Christian Rock

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I was driving to work this morning with the top down, listening to "The Life Pursuit" by Belle & Sebastian. I've recently learned they are a Christian rock band.

There's a left turn light on a major road right before I get to my office. The light is short, and in morning traffic there can be a backup of 7 or 10 cars sometimes. If the first few cars don't gun it then 3 or 4 cars will be stuck waiting through the cycle, and it's a long cycle.

I pulled up today and there were at least 10 cars waiting, but the light turned green right away. Only 3 made it through. Damn slowpokes. I waited through an entire cycle and only 4 made it through the next time. (There's a red light camera on this signal, btw.)

So I was stuck at the light for a long time. During the first cycle I noticed a flock of pure white sea birds flying in formation. With the top down I could follow them all the way across the sky. They passed over the still visible gibbous moon. The sky was full of big coastal clouds, shining in blues, grays and whites. This was playing:

It was a moment of pure joy and connection with the physical world. Everything was everything, always.

Then the light changed and I gunned it. "Sukie in the Graveyard" came on, which I hate.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
The Wikipedia page for Christian Rock ( Christian rock - Wikipedia ) cites Larry Norman's 1969 Upon This Rock album as the first "commercially released" Christian Rock album. Agape, a group that formed in fall of 1968 in Azusa, California, released Victims Of Tradition in 1969 and Gospel Hard Rock in 1971. The Wikipedia page doesn't even mention Agape. Here is their entire second album:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I was driving to work this morning with the top down, listening to "The Life Pursuit" by Belle & Sebastian. I've recently learned they are a Christian rock band.

There's a left turn light on a major road right before I get to my office. The light is short, and in morning traffic there can be a backup of 7 or 10 cars sometimes. If the first few cars don't gun it then 3 or 4 cars will be stuck waiting through the cycle, and it's a long cycle.

I pulled up today and there were at least 10 cars waiting, but the light turned green right away. Only 3 made it through. Damn slowpokes. I waited through an entire cycle and only 4 made it through the next time. (There's a red light camera on this signal, btw.)

So I was stuck at the light for a long time. During the first cycle I noticed a flock of pure white sea birds flying in formation. With the top down I could follow them all the way across the sky. They passed over the still visible gibbous moon. The sky was full of big coastal clouds, shining in blues, grays and whites. This was playing:

It was a moment of pure joy and connection with the physical world. Everything was everything, always.

Then the light changed and I gunned it. "Sukie in the Graveyard" came on, which I hate.
I have some Belle & Sebastian, also Sufjan Stevens. Neither are Christian rock. You can't "learn" they're Christian rock bands. If you've already heard their music, and it wasn't Christian rock then, it doesn't become something different.

Water is wet. You can learn that it's H2O, but you can't learn that it's dry.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I wonder if dry ice becomes dry water when it melts. And I just know somebody here is going to tell me, "That's stupid. Dry up!"

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The majesty of the birds in the sky would not be what I would be worried about in a situation where my top is down.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have some Belle & Sebastian, also Sufjan Stevens. Neither are Christian rock. You can't "learn" they're Christian rock bands. If you've already heard their music, and it wasn't Christian rock then, it doesn't become something different.

Water is wet. You can learn that it's H2O, but you can't learn that it's dry.
I can learn anything. I have an open mind.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I have a very similar situation. It's my last turn before the office and it's always full. It's a 2 lane left turn and it does let a bunch through per light but it's always so busy I'm usually happy if I make it through in 2 cycles.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I think The Byrds put out some Christian songs without being a Chrsitian band.
According to who?

This may be the most preposterous thread ever started on DRC. The subject is of no interest to the OP, and the content is mostly formed from speculation. Good job!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
According to who?
People who write about The Byrds. You can find them on the internet if you're curious. Look at the Wikipedia page for "Sweetheart of the Rodeo". It has the songs "I Am a Pilgrim" and "The Christian Life".

This may be the most preposterous thread ever started on DRC. The subject is of no interest to the OP, and the content is mostly formed from speculation. Good job!
The subject is of some interest to the OP. All of the content is based on other sources. No original research. I never would have thought Belle & Sebastian was a Christian band if I hadn't read it on the internet.

What is Christian about these?
The lyrics. We used to sing "Top of the World" in church when I was a kid. We were not alone.

Marge Simpson (in the episode "I Married Marge") thinks "You Light Up My Life" is Christian, unless you think it was about a different god.

Homer: I bet the guy she was singing that about was real happy.
Marge: Actually, she was singing about God.
Homer: Oh. Well, he's always happy. No, wait, he's always mad...
Once again, this seems to bug you. Why is that?

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
You appear to be confused about the distinctions between God, spirituality, religion, and Christianity. Also, the distinctions between opinion, propaganda, and fact. It would be great if you can stop being confused.