Chat Feature?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Any thoughts on adding periodic chats or a chat room for folks to hang in?

I sort of enjoyed that on SBS.

I am not sure how easy it is to get something like that going.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I brought that up and we are looking into it.

It's a lot of work, I remember from SBS, to get a chat with vB.

I really would like to. Times like now, when so many are here, it would be great to chat.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It seems that there is no good add on chat feature that works very well with vB. There is a very, very basic version. I guess it all depends on how much and often it would be used. But certainly not if it will slow the forum down.

Last edited:

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
But certainly not if it will slow the forum down.

Slow%20Turtle.jpg

Don't do anything that will slow the forum down! P L E A S E!

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Another forum that I used to frequent had a chat that was "plugged into" vB. Basically it allowed single sign-on between the forum and the chat room. I believe, however, that it wasn't a vB chat room. I'll have to go back to that forum and see how they did it.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
Actually I like the Chat's in conjunction with an Internet radio call in show like they did on Orbitcast or SiriusBuzz. It gives people a topic to chat about. Maybe we can get Taylor to get an hour late night on Howard 101 to talk sirius Radios we can all call in with helpful hints and chat about it all the same time. At the same time He can plug the new forum.

Have a sort of Satellite Radio 101 class.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
You know, I am sure people would love a show every once in a while. It would give them a chance to get reviews of new products as well as give TSS a great marketing avenue.

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
you guys are trying to keep Taylor busy with the radio shows. His syndicate one isn't enough for everyone? :)

I have reservations about installing any chat system. At least for right now. While it would be a great way for instant communication between the users it would also take a good portion of the content we need to build up being new away from the forums and put it some place where no real good searchable record of it is kept.

The more good content that we can present within the main site the more valuable we are to those that may come just for a look see, or redirects from google and other search engines.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
you guys are trying to keep Taylor busy with the radio shows. His syndicate one isn't enough for everyone? :)

I have reservations about installing any chat system. At least for right now. While it would be a great way for instant communication between the users it would also take a good portion of the content we need to build up being new away from the forums and put it some place where no real good searchable record of it is kept.

The more good content that we can present within the main site the more valuable we are to those that may come just for a look see, or redirects from google and other search engines.

That's an excellent point. Maybe the chat thing can happen down the road!

realwx

Oct 14, 2008
Burtonsville/Silver Spring, MD
Here is what they use: FlashChat - Customizable Flash Chat Room and Live Support system for your PHP/MySQL-enabled website. Try it now!

It is a very nice chat client. I didn't notice a slowdown when they implemented it either. If you look at the page it has directions on how to integrate into vB and other boards.

Well, as much as I'd like a chat (still have an unused FlashChat from when I bought it a year ago), I agree with Dan in that we should have more helpful content on the forums so that anyone who has a question has an answer already provided on the forums instead of a chat.